Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So I know what the first one is, Kookaburra, right?

View attachment 452116

But I don't know what these are. They're everywhere and really tame. Hopping onto tables to pinch scraps

View attachment 452117

Edit: Sydney Botanical Gardens

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_white_ibis

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So I know what the first one is, Kookaburra, right?

View attachment 452116

But I don't know what these are. They're everywhere and really tame. Hopping onto tables to pinch scraps

View attachment 452117

Edit: Sydney Botanical Gardens
How many were there, Nick?
I seem to remember that you wait ages for one ibis to come, then three come along together. .

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Dozens of tawny owl boxes.
Last year, when a pair of Tawnies were regularly visiting, my neighbour (an avid cyclist, by the way, but I don't think he reads this forum) said to me "Do you think they have babies?". "No, Mike." I replied, "They lay eggs." His missus nearly peed herself, and he's hardly spoken to me since. To placate him, unbeknown to me, Mrs Poacher promised that I'll make a nest box for them. I don't have any suitable timber or ply, and I'm damned if I'm shelling out good money for any, so I've taken to scanning skips for suitable offcuts, without success so far.
Anyway, to get finally to the point, RSPB has two designs, an upright with a roof, and a chimney type to be mounted diagonally under a branch. Can you advise me which is more likely to be used? I reckon the vertical one is more likely to replicate the kind of cavity they're likely to find naturally, but if I make and fit one of those, Mike will probably demand that I include a ladder for the owlets to climb up.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Last year, when a pair of Tawnies were regularly visiting, my neighbour (an avid cyclist, by the way, but I don't think he reads this forum) said to me "Do you think they have babies?". "No, Mike." I replied, "They lay eggs." His missus nearly peed herself, and he's hardly spoken to me since. To placate him, unbeknown to me, Mrs Poacher promised that I'll make a nest box for them. I don't have any suitable timber or ply, and I'm damned if I'm shelling out good money for any, so I've taken to scanning skips for suitable offcuts, without success so far.
Anyway, to get finally to the point, RSPB has two designs, an upright with a roof, and a chimney type to be mounted diagonally under a branch. Can you advise me which is more likely to be used? I reckon the vertical one is more likely to replicate the kind of cavity they're likely to find naturally, but if I make and fit one of those, Mike will probably demand that I include a ladder for the owlets to climb up.

You got it in one. The RSPB vertical one has had the most success of the ones I put up. (Local wildlife charity) You can use the diagonal one if you can’t attach it to the trunk and only a diagonal bough is available. Leave it empty as the owls will choose their own bedding. Shelter from the wet, prevailing wind. When young owls are ready to leave their nest will inevitably fall to the ground. No problem. They can climb all the way back up a tree with their Velcro claws and beak. Maybe not into the box, but out of harm’s way into a roost. They exercise, practice and in a day or so will manage flight. Their biggest killer is other tawnies.

Talking of ladders: I was up a ladder, screwing a box to a big oak tree and was surrounded by nosey, young steers. My colleague ran off leaving the cattle, 6 metres below me to nudge and shoulder the ladder I was perched on :eek:

(Did you know that the famous wildlife photographer, Eric Hosking, lost an eye as a result of an encounter with a tawny?)

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It's an Ibis, isn't it?
Very common across Australia.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Cycling to work along the Coton cycle path this morning, out of the fog in front of me roll two tumble bushes.... turns out they had legs and black and white striped faces.
One turned off, this one ran along for a few hundred yards

BE73BF61-06B3-4F11-B687-7A9EAD999463.jpeg
1E9DAA11-EA82-4A6C-91BB-0B6659F3F6A3.jpeg
5183DE79-ECE1-4333-BE07-714FA4F550DE.jpeg

albal

Guru
Potter around our beautiful harbour and park today: chiffchaff Redshank black tailed godwit wigeon curlew Brent Geese black Swan cormerant goldeneye gc grebe bh gull gbb gull long tailed tit oystercatcher.

Attachments

• IMG_20190215_1210456.jpg
    IMG_20190215_1210456.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom