Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Snow day...

20190130161324_IMG_6596.JPG
20190130121153_IMG_6592.JPG
20190130105849_IMG_6590.JPG
20190130120621_IMG_6579.JPG

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The snowy weather is forcing birds into the garden

Brambling (first ever), Great Spotted Woodpecker (second ever) and Jay (not seen in last couple of years)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5524735, member: 9609"]I have never ever seen this happening even though I have spent many hours watching them especially to see this spectacle[/QUOTE]

You need to come to Cambridge in the next month or so.....
That's twice I've seen it happen about a mile or so from the city centre!

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
This afternoon a watched a barn owl hunting on some rough ground about 1 mile from the city centre of Cambridge.
Fascinating to watch them working, isn't it? Years ago we had a barn owl fly across the road in front of us - and it was absolutely silent! Spooky really because it was getting dark, we were out in the countryside and there was no flapping noise at all as it flew. The bird looked like a ghost because it was white. It was quite big too. A sight you just don't forget when they are that close to you.

MikeG

Guru
Right, birders, help me out here. I have twice recently seen what I think is a Hobby. A small raptor, definitely not a sparrowhawk or kestrel, flitting around in a highly manoeuvrable manner along a quiet and wooded country lane...........grey underneath, maybe striped, and a flash of blue/ grey on top. Longish tail for its size. Now, that sounds like a Hobby to me, but they're not supposed to be here now. Could it have been something else? If a Hobby, why is it here at this time of year?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Right, birders, help me out here. I have twice recently seen what I think is a Hobby. A small raptor, definitely not a sparrowhawk or kestrel, flitting around in a highly manoeuvrable manner along a quiet and wooded country lane...........grey underneath, maybe striped, and a flash of blue/ grey on top. Longish tail for its size. Now, that sounds like a Hobby to me, but they're not supposed to be here now. Could it have been something else? If a Hobby, why is it here at this time of year?

According to Cambridgeshire Bird Club reports there have been sightings around here this week, so it's not impossible....

http://cbcwhatsabout.blogspot.com/

EDIT- My tired brain is thinking Merlin, which is my addled head.... but could it be a Merlin?

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Oooooh.......now that's not impossible. Thanks. I'm going to have to go and sit in that lane for an hour or two, as I've seen it in the same place twice.

Top Bottom