Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Had a walk around Deeping Lakes Nature Reserve

https://www.birdguides.com/sites/eu...ritain/england/lincolnshire/deeping-lakes-nr/

IMG_20190223_115159.jpg
IMG_20190223_115206.jpg
IMG_20190223_122033.jpg

potsy

Rambler
Seen these a few times now in the park, noisy little buggers.

20190223123157~2.JPG

albal

Guru
Group wander around blashford. A list which is not edited. I.e some duplicate entries in there, it happens.... Highlights : bittern swallow .

I never saw the redpoll. (I wasn't convinced tbh).

Attachments

• IMG_20190223_1358555.jpg
    IMG_20190223_1358555.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 20

albal

Guru
[QUOTE 5546510, member: 9609"]A Swallow ?
how confident are you on that ?
the exodus from SA is not normally until end of Feb and it takes them about 40 days, so this one was is stupidly early, probably won't survive.[/QUOTE]
Def swallow. Confirmed by our leader.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Seemed to be. When it comes to the ferry sightings, both these eagles and the Snowy Owls we see frequently here in the winter have developed a strategy for getting the ducks that are too slow or tired to get out of the way of the ferry - there's only a narrow ice-free passage in the winter kept open by the ferry so the ducks don't have a lot of choice about where to hang out.

No, or at least not recently. We moved to Ontario from Newcastle in 2009. Had a year in Tokyo 2013-14, but apart from that we've been here the whole time, although we have built a new house.

I had a vague recollection that you were based in England.... not with bald eagles!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I had to interrupt my ride home from Pilates last night to stand and listen to a pair of Tawny owls calling back & forth to each other.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I had to interrupt my ride home from Pilates last night to stand and listen to a pair of Tawny owls calling back & forth to each other.

Wow, the owls calling, were really loud here too...

I guess a bit of sap rising, combined with a good clear night for hunting.

Went out to fetch something from the yard, and it sounded like two people doing, very bad impressions of an owl.

It's hilarious, cos you can join in with very poor imitation of owl hoots tooo - almost literally "too - wit - t'wooo" and they will respond.

Feels a bit naughty really :angel:

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Last year, when a pair of Tawnies were regularly visiting, my neighbour (an avid cyclist, by the way, but I don't think he reads this forum) said to me "Do you think they have babies?". "No, Mike." I replied, "They lay eggs." His missus nearly peed herself, and he's hardly spoken to me since. To placate him, unbeknown to me, Mrs Poacher promised that I'll make a nest box for them. I don't have any suitable timber or ply, and I'm damned if I'm shelling out good money for any, so I've taken to scanning skips for suitable offcuts, without success so far.
Anyway, to get finally to the point, RSPB has two designs, an upright with a roof, and a chimney type to be mounted diagonally under a branch. Can you advise me which is more likely to be used? I reckon the vertical one is more likely to replicate the kind of cavity they're likely to find naturally, but if I make and fit one of those, Mike will probably demand that I include a ladder for the owlets to climb up.

You got it in one. The RSPB vertical one has had the most success of the ones I put up. (Local wildlife charity) You can use the diagonal one if you can’t attach it to the trunk and only a diagonal bough is available. Leave it empty as the owls will choose their own bedding. Shelter from the wet, prevailing wind. When young owls are ready to leave their nest will inevitably fall to the ground. No problem. They can climb all the way back up a tree with their Velcro claws and beak. Maybe not into the box, but out of harm’s way into a roost. They exercise, practice and in a day or so will manage flight. Their biggest killer is other tawnies.

Talking of ladders: I was up a ladder, screwing a box to a big oak tree and was surrounded by nosey, young steers. My colleague ran off leaving the cattle, 6 metres below me to nudge and shoulder the ladder I was perched on :eek:

(Did you know that the famous wildlife photographer, Eric Hosking, lost an eye as a result of an encounter with a tawny?)

Update: I gave up on checking skips, bit the bullet and shelled out for some 150mm by 25mm rough-sawn Siberian Larch. Picked it up on the 21st from the Russkie importers in the wild east of Boston. Placated my chauffeuse by allowing some shopping time in Brexit Central, including nearly £14 of excellent cakes to take away from Diva's, ate some delicious fish and chips in bright warm sunshine at Sunny's Plaice in Heckington, and stopped off to explore Sleaford's charity shops. Roughed out the design on Friday, built the nest box over the weekend, and discovered that the reason the camera in a nest box bought for about £20 in Lidl clearance a couple of years ago had never worked was a dodgy transformer (again and again - HMHB lyric). Another transformer from an unused digibox worked fine, so on Monday the box was adapted for the camera - full colour in daylight, night vision in monochrome, and decent sound.
A small box emptied of dates over Christmas will keep the camera wires away from exploratory beaks and claws, if it's ever occupied. Original plan was to position the box at the weekend with neighbours' assistance, but not liking the look of the weather, Mrs Poacher and I got it into place on Thursday morning, just before a downpour. Twenty metres of cable reaches the neighbours' kitchen TV quite neatly - they're delighted, even though I tried to dial back the enthusiasm by estimating the chance of first-year occupation at ~5%. Anyway, here are some pics.
P1000127.JPG

P1000126.JPG

P1000128.JPG

The last pic was taken this morning; it seems to have stayed firm during the overnight gales.
On the actual wildlife front, a pair of Mallard have been visiting the garden over the last few days, checking out the suitability of an overgrown hedge for nesting ( I guess), and doing a sterling job of clearing the pond of floating duckweed.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Update: I gave up on checking skips, bit the bullet and shelled out for some 150mm by 25mm rough-sawn Siberian Larch. Picked it up on the 21st from the Russkie importers in the wild east of Boston. Placated my chauffeuse by allowing some shopping time in Brexit Central, including nearly £14 of excellent cakes to take away from Diva's, ate some delicious fish and chips in bright warm sunshine at Sunny's Plaice in Heckington, and stopped off to explore Sleaford's charity shops. Roughed out the design on Friday, built the nest box over the weekend, and discovered that the reason the camera in a nest box bought for about £20 in Lidl clearance a couple of years ago had never worked was a dodgy transformer (again and again - HMHB lyric). Another transformer from an unused digibox worked fine, so on Monday the box was adapted for the camera - full colour in daylight, night vision in monochrome, and decent sound.
A small box emptied of dates over Christmas will keep the camera wires away from exploratory beaks and claws, if it's ever occupied. Original plan was to position the box at the weekend with neighbours' assistance, but not liking the look of the weather, Mrs Poacher and I got it into place on Thursday morning, just before a downpour. Twenty metres of cable reaches the neighbours' kitchen TV quite neatly - they're delighted, even though I tried to dial back the enthusiasm by estimating the chance of first-year occupation at ~5%. Anyway, here are some pics.
View attachment 455883
View attachment 455884
View attachment 455886
The last pic was taken this morning; it seems to have stayed firm during the overnight gales.
On the actual wildlife front, a pair of Mallard have been visiting the garden over the last few days, checking out the suitability of an overgrown hedge for nesting ( I guess), and doing a sterling job of clearing the pond of floating duckweed.

Admirable. That is a wonderful box. I hope it gets occupied at some stage.

albal

Guru
Just a wander down the park today ; 175 black tailed godwit 171 oystercatcher 25 Brent goose 20 sanderling 6 turnstone 2 Mediterranean gull .

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_1331085.jpg
    IMG_20190304_1331085.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190304_1407451.jpg
    IMG_20190304_1407451.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Pair of Mallard which have been visiting almost daily for the last ten days. They've done a great job of cleaning the pond, but I really hope they don't decide to nest here. They've visited around this time for the last three years (fairly sure it's the same pair), but had the good sense to nest elsewhere.
P1000130.JPG

I had enough wood left over from the owl box to knock together a Kent style bat roost. It'll go under the eaves in a sheltered spot in the corner of the East wall and a chimney breast, where it'll have sun until noon, and about as far away from the owl box as possible(!), but it'll have to wait until I've completed some repointing. Probably about as much chance of being used as the owl box, but better than the bits languishing in the timber store.
P1000131.JPG

Top Bottom