Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We're having goldfinch fights over our niger seed feeder, even when it has free perches. It gets a bit frantic when eight goldfinches are there but even two can be a problem.

Today's sequence:

1. Two interlopers appear.
View attachment 460604
2. One makes his move:
View attachment 460605
3. Furious fight:
View attachment 460612
View attachment 460606
4. Eff off in goldfinchian
View attachment 460607

Good time of the year to be watching finches on the feeders. Just this morning there were (at varying times) 6 goldfinch, 3 chaffinch, 4 lesser redpoll, 2 brambling, 2 bullfinch and 1 siskin

And a blackbird that sings to the tune of "I'm a Barbie girl" for all you Aqua fans out there

philk56

Guru
Looks like spring has sprung! We came across these two on a pond alongside College Lake at Tring. I'm not good with amphibians so maybe someone can confirm these are toads?

2019-04-01_142000_D61_007320 College Lake-Frogs.jpg

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Good time of the year to be watching finches on the feeders. Just this morning there were (at varying times) 6 goldfinch, 3 chaffinch, 4 lesser redpoll, 2 brambling, 2 bullfinch and 1 siskin

And a blackbird that sings to the tune of "I'm a Barbie girl" for all you Aqua fans out there

That's nice! We have a lot of birds but nothing so exotic.

"Up to" number for regulars are 8 blue tits, 6 great tits, 6 long tailed tits, 6 starlings, 4 blackbirds, 3 robins, 4 dunnocks, 4 pigeons, 4 stock doves, 4 collared doves, 2 pied wagtails, a crow, a magpie, 2 greater spotted woodpeckers, 1 green woodpecker, 2 greenfinches, assorted sparrows, a pheasant (which scolds our bewildered cat), 2 mallards and, in season, a fieldfare or two. We also have an occasional bullfinch and a sparrowhawk as a regular visitor, which treats our garden wildlife as tasty snacks.

Numbers that are hugely down in the last 12 months are greenfinches and sparrows. Our wrens have vanished. At one time sparrows used to form a line 50+ strong along the top of our fence, now we just see the odd 2 or 3. Yellowhammers were once regulars but not now and its been four years since we saw any turtle doves. We've also got several birds with mishapen overlong beaks. The cold spell last year killed off most of our long tailed tits but they made a small recovery in the summer.

Loads of skylarks nearby, so it's not all bad news.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's nice! We have a lot of birds but nothing so exotic.

"Up to" number for regulars are 8 blue tits, 6 great tits, 6 long tailed tits, 6 starlings, 4 blackbirds, 3 robins, 4 dunnocks, 4 pigeons, 4 stock doves, 4 collared doves, 2 pied wagtails, a crow, a magpie, 2 greater spotted woodpeckers, 1 green woodpecker, 2 greenfinches, assorted sparrows, a pheasant (which scolds our bewildered cat), 2 mallards and, in season, a fieldfare or two. We also have an occasional bullfinch and a sparrowhawk as a regular visitor, which treats our garden wildlife as tasty snacks.

Numbers that are hugely down in the last 12 months are greenfinches and sparrows. Our wrens have vanished. At one time sparrows used to form a line 50+ strong along the top of our fence, now we just see the odd 2 or 3. Yellowhammers were once regulars but not now and its been four years since we saw any turtle doves. We've also got several birds with mishapen overlong beaks. The cold spell last year killed off most of our long tailed tits but they made a small recovery in the summer.

Loads of skylarks nearby, so it's not all bad news.

The decline in greenfinches is largely due to a disease called Trichomonosis. I haven't seen one around here for a couple of years

https://www.bto.org/science/population-dynamics/greenfinches-and-trichomonosis

Turtle dove decline is dramatic and largely down to unavailability of food in the summer due to changes in farming practices and the impact on the number of young each nest produces. There is talk of them becoming extinct as a breeding bird in the UK before long. Yellowhammers also suffer from changes in farming practices but different ones. They need seed in the winter but practices have changed and they suffer higher winter mortality than they used to

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No photo, too far away, but on next doors bird feeder, there were two smallish birds of the following description:
Orange/Red face, with a black cap
Beige chest and flanks, with a light brown back and wings
Black tail with, I think, to rows of light spots.
Lovely looking things. I get Great Tits and Blue Tits, but would love to encourage these, or their friends and family, to my place.

Finch? Tit?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
No photo, too far away, but on next doors bird feeder, there were two smallish birds of the following description:
Lovely looking things. I get Great Tits and Blue Tits, but would love to encourage these, or their friends and family, to my place.

Finch? Tit?
Take a look at @Rezillo's post?
We're having goldfinch fights over our niger seed feeder, even when it has free perches. It gets a bit frantic when eight goldfinches are there but even two can be a problem.

Today's sequence:

1. Two interlopers appear.
View attachment 460604
2. One makes his move:
View attachment 460605
3. Furious fight:
View attachment 460612
View attachment 460606
4. Eff off in goldfinchian
View attachment 460607

Glow worm

Legendary Member

Finch? Tit?

Like Poacher, I reckon goldfinch most likely.

Top Bottom