Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
On tonight's walk..

20190406183320~2.JPG
20190406185146~2.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice and close to these lambs whilst out this morning .

IMG_20190407_073314847.jpg
IMG_20190407_073322509.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Today's 29 miles commuting via ebike...
6am this morning...a buzzard spooked up from a tree in the semi light as I passed, , a couple red kite, plenty of pheasants, a couple partridges, a pair of gold finches and all the usual small birdlife. Amazing how much birdlife is up and about early.

3.30 pm...at least 30 red kite, almost certainly being fed by a rural local farmer/scrapyard/ house (theres three buildings all close by) . . more gold finches, a probable muntjac deer, skylarks, great tits, a few hawks perched on various posts and cables, quite a few butterfly's, etc etc etc...wildlife is stirring for spring.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
On the Cycle Chat North Wales Mountain Bike weekend Sat/Sun, staying near Prestatyn

Up early Sunday and went for a walk in the dunes at Gronant. Wandering around and heard a song I'd never heard before (I've been keen on birdwatching for years so I know most of the songs and calls of the commoner birds). I hung around for a while but couldn't see it so I walked off. Then I heard another one. So I waited and finally saw a small brown bird in the scrubby bushes.

Cetti's Warbler. A bird with an interesting UK history. First bred in UK in 1972 and slowly spread (it is prone to population crashes as it stays in UK all winter). The generally milder winters have allowed it to spread and there are now a couple of thousand pairs, mainly coastal areas

Saw a stonechat, some teal, a few lesser redpolls in the dunes

Dave 123

Legendary Member
On the Cycle Chat North Wales Mountain Bike weekend Sat/Sun, staying near Prestatyn

Up early Sunday and went for a walk in the dunes at Gronant. Wandering around and heard a song I'd never heard before (I've been keen on birdwatching for years so I know most of the songs and calls of the commoner birds). I hung around for a while but couldn't see it so I walked off. Then I heard another one. So I waited and finally saw a small brown bird in the scrubby bushes.

Cetti's Warbler. A bird with an interesting UK history. First bred in UK in 1972 and slowly spread (it is prone to population crashes as it stays in UK all winter). The generally milder winters have allowed it to spread and there are now a couple of thousand pairs, mainly coastal areas

Saw a stonechat, some teal, a few lesser redpolls in the dunes

A girl I know did her phd on Cetti’s warbler. She says they only need a postage stamp sized reed bed to get a foot in the door.
In Port Sunlight they have reclaimed some land along the Mersey. It’s now a nature reserve,. They have them there.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Some notable sights on yesterday's ride:

Leaving the village of Brokenborough, between Tetbury and Malmesbury, at the edge of the road there were two medium sized birds, on on top of the other. It was soon evident there was nothing amorous about the encounter - a female sparrowhawk was in the process of killing a woodpigeon. She couldn't fly with her prey and wasn't going to give it up, so I passed within a few feet. I imagine that once it was thoroughly dead she would drag it somewhere safer and tuck in.

A few miles on, a very late flock of fieldfares chack-chack-chacking low overhead. To see them alongside swallows would be quite something, but I've yet to see any of those this year. I can't imagine the early arrivals have had an easy time of it, and the north-easterly winds we're set to keep for a while will be slowing them down.

A pair of bullfinches.

Finally, lots of waterfowl on the flooded hams at Ashleworth. I couldn't identify anything other than the obvious, but when it stops raining I'll be back with binoculars and "naughty" camera.

I spotted 2 Swallows for the first time this year today.
On my return journey home from my cycle ride I stopped to see what hawk was calling out . It turned out to be a Peregrine perched high up in an electricity pylon . I think it was a female by the size of it as it flew off.
1554920155300-555266603.png

Some notable sights on yesterday's ride:

Leaving the village of Brokenborough, between Tetbury and Malmesbury, at the edge of the road there were two medium sized birds, on on top of the other. It was soon evident there was nothing amorous about the encounter - a female sparrowhawk was in the process of killing a woodpigeon. She couldn't fly with her prey and wasn't going to give it up, so I passed within a few feet. I imagine that once it was thoroughly dead she would drag it somewhere safer and tuck in.

A few miles on, a very late flock of fieldfares chack-chack-chacking low overhead. To see them alongside swallows would be quite something, but I've yet to see any of those this year. I can't imagine the early arrivals have had an easy time of it, and the north-easterly winds we're set to keep for a while will be slowing them down.

A pair of bullfinches.

Finally, lots of waterfowl on the flooded hams at Ashleworth. I couldn't identify anything other than the obvious, but when it stops raining I'll be back with binoculars and "naughty" camera.
I saw 2 Swallows today. They were heading north , sonthey might be with you soon .

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Apologies for not posting this one earlier: Woodpigeons at dawn on 14/1/2019.
P1000122.JPG

What reminded me was that two of the daft buggers tried flying through our dining room window at different times today.....
P1000138.JPG

In other news, the frequent visitors to the pond kept shifting the netting I placed to protect the pitifully small amount of frogspawn (compared to previous years) and frightening themselves when it shifted, so I tried relocating what was left of the spawn and removed the net to give them free roaming rights. She took full advantage, while he remained alert for any danger.
P1000140.JPG

Yesterday was a busy day for wildlife. It started off with a furry caterpillar on our patio. I spotted a Peacock butterfly later which seemed to be interested in some dirt . Whilst I was out on my cycle ride I spotted a Hare and later I saw another Swallow. The Swallows appear to be flying in singly at the moment .

Dave7

Legendary Member
Apologies for not posting this one earlier: Woodpigeons at dawn on 14/1/2019.
View attachment 461942
What reminded me was that two of the daft buggers tried flying through our dining room window at different times today.....
View attachment 461943
In other news, the frequent visitors to the pond kept shifting the netting I placed to protect the pitifully small amount of frogspawn (compared to previous years) and frightening themselves when it shifted, so I tried relocating what was left of the spawn and removed the net to give them free roaming rights. She took full advantage, while he remained alert for any danger.
View attachment 461944
Our frog spawn has all died this year. It looked healthy then turn into a nilk mush.......quite sad really.

Top Bottom