Your day's wildlife

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Flick of the Elbow, 17 Feb 2015.

Tags:
  1. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

Long ride in the Peak District yesterday so I decided to make note of any birds I saw on the high ground, away from the villages. The villages had the usual species; blackbirds, robins, blue tits, great tits, dunnocks, house sparrows, mistle thrushes etc etc. But when you got over 1000ft up it was pretty barren

Heard a Red Grouse on Snake Pass (they're there all year round). Saw quite a few Black Headed Gulls and a couple of Herring Gulls. Quite a few corvids (Raven, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie). A flock of Starlings on Cat and Fiddle near the top. And that's about it. Tough eking out an existence on the tops in winter

2. MikeG

MikeG Guru

200+ fieldfares on some overhead wires by an abandoned apple orchard was a highlight of a walk with the pooch yesterday, and this morning I went to the part of the local wood where there are always jays, and there were some jays. It's hard to tell how many, but more than 2.

Poacher and Illaveago like this.
  3. Waiting for me to fill up the feeder...
    20181119124146_IMG_6380.JPG
    20181119124228_IMG_6379.JPG

4. My day started off well on my cycle ride today. A large flock of mixed black birds were milling around, I think the majority of them were Jackdaws as I could hear them calling. I continued my ride and saw a pair of Partridges in a large open field. On my return journey I had a close up view of a Kestrel hunting in a field close to the edge of the road. And later this afternoon in Lacock I saw a very large flock of FieldFares flying North East.

Katherine and Heltor Chasca like this.
  5. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

A Bandicoot trying to get into the apartment near Albany, Western Australia .
    IMG-20181117-WA0007.jpg

Illaveago, Katherine, Poacher and 4 others like this.
  6. philk56

philk56 Veteran

Some shots from a trip last week to Rottnest Island, off the coast of Perth WA. The animal for which the island is famous (a quokka), osprey nest and a colony of New Zealand Fur Seals chilling in the sea.

2018-11-12_153823DSC_8061.jpg

2018-11-12_121750DSC_7960.jpg

2018-11-12_131120DSC_8002.jpg

Katherine, Poacher, MikeG and 8 others like this.
  7. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

8. MikeG

MikeG Guru

First time I ever fell off a bike was on Rottnest. We used to stay in an old prison.

philk56 likes this.
  9. MikeG

MikeG Guru

Can anyone tell me what this chap normally lives on? He is inside my porch, alive and active, and I worry that it will starve to death over the winter. I know that caterpillars are generally species-specific in terms of feeding, so I can't just chuck it into the nearest patch of nettles. Sorry about the poor photos.

BkeCTVR.jpg

2PnBJiQ.jpg

10. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Close up pics needed. I have some good books by Richard Lewington which will help ID this chap. Then you can leave it to hibernate near it’s food plant.

Or shallow fry and add soy sauce.

11. MikeG

MikeG Guru

I'll see if I can get a better photo.

12. MikeG

MikeG Guru

13. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Cycling back through one of the underpass's on my regular commute that has a small stream running alongside the other day , i caught a flash of really bright colour take off and get lost in a nearby bush same again today but this time i carried on flying and it was deffo a Kingfisher so well pleased it's only the fourth time i have seen one .

Such a bright colour and soo quick

14. Poacher

Poacher Gravitationally challenged member

Male Great Tit giving the schwegler nest box a thorough inspection, inside and out. A bit early to be claiming territory, I thought!

15. philk56

philk56 Veteran

I have been trying to catch a shot of one of these daily visitors to our garden and my patience finally paid off :smile:
    2018-12-05.jpg

It is a Singing Honeyeater and they enjoy the grevillea flowers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice