Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
Pelicans can always be relied on for a good pose :smile:

D75_2884.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The rare breed sheep are back at Summer leys

IMG_20190427_145633187.jpg

It's always a big bird that can look after itself. The nest is so exposed it has to be. Carrion Crow, Raven, Peregrine are usual suspects in UK
I think it might be a Buzzard nest as I saw a pair of them displaying near it the other day. When I cycled past it I spotted another nest lower down and a Buzzard perched on the crossbars.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
For the first time in a few years, I decided to get live mealworms to help the nesters. Ordered a kilo from https://www.livefoodsdirect.co.uk/ just before midday on Monday; they arrived about 10:15 on Tuesday, and blackbird and a pair of robins helped me unpack them. They don't miss a trick. Unfortunately nor do the magpies - we can't leave the feeding bowl (ceramic and heavy to prevent tipping over) unattended, otherwise the magpies move in and quickly empty it.
These pics were today. Robin was first to take advantage.
P1000144.JPG

Robin's slightly nervous, and gets rather excited on 'catching' a mealworm:
P1000143.JPG

When not filling his own belly (I try to direct him to suet pellets instead), he takes plenty back to the nest. Here he is in "half Puffin" mode; when in "full Puffin" mode he can get 8 mealworms in that beak!
P1000145.JPG

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The High Peak is full of birds now that Spring is here (although it was really cold today). Curlews, Lapwings, Skylarks, Pied Wagtails, Meadow Pipits

The Goyt Valley runs up out of Whaley Bridge to the top of the Cat & Fiddle. Cycling up there today I heard a song that you don't hear that often.....Pied Flycatcher. It's classic habitat for them; upland oak woodland. But still a really nice surprise

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
WARNING: IMAGE MAY UPSET SOME FORUM USERS
Mods, please delete if unsuitable. Thank you.

Sadly my wildlife spot wasn’t a good one. This buzzard had just been hit by a car when I retrieved it from the road. It was mortally injured and on it’s way out. I just felt I had to hold it till it finally died. It was a surprisingly light morph.

Reason No. 41 why cars and wildlife don’t mix.

A06E36E7-B77D-4828-A5BC-7228BABE04DF.jpeg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had an hour at our local wildlife reserve and we go to stand about 20ft away from 4 fox cubs playing in a field we both stood there for 10 minutes fascinated by them and then walked to one of the hides and saw half a dozen Gadwell prs , 4 nesting Lapwings and quite a few red shanks hunting for food .

And then walking back to the car park we got to less than 10 ft away from a Cuckoo before it flew off and carried on with its call .

Whilst out on my ride on Saturday afternoon I stopped at Reybridge to take a photo and to have a look for fish.
Whilst looking down into the river I caught sight of a medium sized brown bird fly up from some reeds and land on some branches on the bank. My immediate thought was that it was a female Mallard, but perching on branches confused me. The bird was too far away to see clearly so I reached for my small pair of binoculars. It was a female Sparrowhawk and was busy plucking something! A couple of walkers and I watched for several minutes before it flew off into some trees carrying whatever it had caught .

I saw a pair of Swifts yesterday but they were very high up .

Top Bottom