Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Scientists want us to report the sighting of Spittlebugs . They have been carrying a disease which has been devestating olive trees in Europe.

Now if they had said Cuckoo Spit I would have known what they were talking about. I spotted some on our hazel bush yesterday .

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The blackbird chicks are doing well.

IMG_20190530_164053.jpg

Birdie

I seem to attract herons! The last couple of times I've been out, I've had one flying along with me just above my head! But today, just two kamikaze squirrels took there time to get out of my path. I couldn't move so glad they did ^_^

philk56

Guru
I have been searching for these beauties for a while. They are a family of Tawny Frogmouths - iconic Australian birds and not uncommon but difficult to find as they blend in so well with their environment. Finally succeeded today :smile:

D75_016105.JPG

D75_016117.JPG

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A few minutes ago: Hummingbird Hawk Moth in our garden. I haven't got to grips with this camera's capabilities; sorry for the blur - if I was a more expert bullshitter I'd claim it was deliberate.
P1000153.JPG

P1000154.JPG

P1000155.JPG

P1000156.JPG

P1000157.JPG

After sampling the delights of this Verbena, it transferred attention to a white Sweet Rocket, before being closely pursued from the garden by a jealous Robin.

Edit: While checking Wikipedia to find out which plant the larvae feed on, I found this interesting snippet from 75 years ago today:
Hummingbird hawk-moths have been seen as a lucky omen. In particular, a swarm of the moths was seen flying across the English Channel on D-Day, the day of the Normandy landings in the Second World War.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Today's wildlife spot was a white squirrel, which ran across the road as I was riding into the village of Pirton, near Croome Park, Worcestershire.

Based on those few seconds, the body seemed to be almost pure white, the tail and ears flecked with some brown hairs. I think the eyes were a natural colour. It seems they're pretty rare in this form, but of course, still members of an alien species.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Today's wildlife spot was a white squirrel, which ran across the road as I was riding into the village of Pirton, near Croome Park, Worcestershire.

Based on those few seconds, the body seemed to be almost pure white, the tail and ears flecked with some brown hairs. I think the eyes were a natural colour. It seems they're pretty rare in this form, but of course, still members of an alien species.
A white grey then, not a black red. I've seen black reds in Switzerland.

Top Bottom