Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I have been trying to identify the type of Dragonfly that I am seeing in my pond and getting confused . It would appear that they are Migrant Hawkers AFAICT from a Leicestershire web site . I'm confused as I saw what I thought was an Emperor laying eggs there last year . :wacko:
You're allowed to have more than one species, surely? Maybe you have both.

You're allowed to have more than one species, surely? Maybe you have both.
Yes. We sometimes see a Common Darter which usually takes up station around the pond and chases off anything which comes near . We used to get Four Spotted Chasers which we had for the first 2 years . Last year we had 7 Emperors emerge 3 of which I found floating and managed to save 1 which flew off before I could get my camera .
Blue and Red Damsel flies but not many this year .

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have been trying to identify the type of Dragonfly that I am seeing in my pond and getting confused . It would appear that they are Migrant Hawkers AFAICT from a Leicestershire web site . I'm confused as I saw what I thought was an Emperor laying eggs there last year . :wacko:

Still quite early for migrant hawkers. Southern hawkers are about and more common. Any photos? (Showing segments would be handy)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes . See my previous posts . I think that is what I have . It is getting a bit confusing. I have had another one emerge just a few minutes ago .

That was fun. Almost 100% sure that’s a Southern Hawker. Harder when newly emerged like in your photos, but based on segments 9 and 10 and the side profile of the thorax I’m fairly confident. (Handy summary chart in Britain’s Dragonflies by Dave Smallshire & Andy Swash)

That was fun. Almost 100% sure that’s a Southern Hawker. Harder when newly emerged like in your photos, but based on segments 9 and 10 and the side profile of the thorax I’m fairly confident. (Handy summary chart in Britain’s Dragonflies by Dave Smallshire & Andy Swash)
It would be a lot easier if they had names on them . :whistle: I had noticed that they were different to last year's models .
Thanks. I think the total number so far is 10 .

potsy

Rambler
Spotted this beauty whilst out walking the dog, don't see too many around here.

20190615131206~2.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
On my ride this morning i had about a 200 yrd stretch where i had a couple of yellow hammers flanking me as i rode along , really vibrant and bright colouring .

Later on i found a hedgehog slowly crossing the road so i acted as a barrier to allow it to get across the road safely to the verge.

IMG_20190615_070147635.jpg

Then once home the bee's were on the herbs

IMG_20190615_073618870.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
A bumblebee.
Saved it. Crawling on the road, pierce of paper to scoop it up, put it on the grass out of the way, hopefully it'll warm up.

These Migrant Dragonflies, coming and flying around our ponds...

On my ride this morning i had about a 200 yrd stretch where i had a couple of yellow hammers flanking me as i rode along , really vibrant and bright colouring .

Later on i found a hedgehog slowly crossing the road so i acted as a barrier to allow it to get across the road safely to the verge.

View attachment 470913

Then once home the bee's were on the herbs

View attachment 470914
The Hedgehog looks small !

Top Bottom