Your day's wildlife

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Flick of the Elbow, 17 Feb 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Senior Member

Fascinating to watch them working, isn't it? Years ago we had a barn owl fly across the road in front of us - and it was absolutely silent! Spooky really because it was getting dark, we were out in the countryside and there was no flapping noise at all as it flew. The bird looked like a ghost because it was white. It was quite big too. A sight you just don't forget when they are that close to you.

2. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

The Barn owl has to be silent because it listens out for prey. The huge face disk is to funnel the sound towards its ears.

3. MikeG

MikeG Guru

Right, birders, help me out here. I have twice recently seen what I think is a Hobby. A small raptor, definitely not a sparrowhawk or kestrel, flitting around in a highly manoeuvrable manner along a quiet and wooded country lane...........grey underneath, maybe striped, and a flash of blue/ grey on top. Longish tail for its size. Now, that sounds like a Hobby to me, but they're not supposed to be here now. Could it have been something else? If a Hobby, why is it here at this time of year?

4. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

According to Cambridgeshire Bird Club reports there have been sightings around here this week, so it's not impossible....

http://cbcwhatsabout.blogspot.com/

EDIT- My tired brain is thinking Merlin, which is my addled head.... but could it be a Merlin?

Last edited: 6 Feb 2019
    meta lon and MikeG like this.
  5. MikeG

MikeG Guru

Oooooh.......now that's not impossible. Thanks. I'm going to have to go and sit in that lane for an hour or two, as I've seen it in the same place twice.

6. meta lon

meta lon Guru

My first thought was a Merlin..
    Hobby tends to look black at a distance in flight.
    Watched them for ages at Sandy last year catching dragon fly

MikeG likes this.
  7. MikeG

MikeG Guru

It wasn't at distance. I was no more than 10 metres away from it.

meta lon likes this.
  8. meta lon

meta lon Guru

The Werrington one with 2 waxwing. There were a few out looking for these Sunday..

About 4 year ago we had a flock..
    Same place, first time I've seen them here, apparently a rare event.

Lovely sight

Dave 123 likes this.
  9. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

The most likely by far are sparrowhawk or kestrel. But if you're certain it wasn't one of those you're down to less common species.
    Goshawk is way too big, peregrine too. Hobby would be extremely unlikely in midwinter. So you're down to a choice of one....Merlin.

Merlins are little, about the size of a blackbird

MikeG and Reiver like this.
  10. MikeG

MikeG Guru

Absolutely definitely not sparrowhawk or kestrel. They're every-day birds for me. It was smaller than them.....reminded me more of a thrush.

I'm putting that down in pencil as a merlin then. Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

Dave 123 and meta lon like this.
  11. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Bearded Dragon?

Up a Rowan and a Bramble at work today, but still clocked a Peregrine heading south down the valley. Mint.

Dave 123 and meta lon like this.
  12. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Senior Member

I saw a heron again this morning. He/she was about to come down and land on my fence so he could check out next door's pond - but he saw me standing at the patio door and decided otherwise.

Goldfish 1 - Heron 0

13. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I'd say yes Kids have one, voracious little things if your a cricket.

I watched Perigrines at Symonds Yat, great spectacle

Last edited: 6 Feb 2019
    Heltor Chasca likes this.
  14. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

I think Mr Mole is going to be in a lot of trouble
    mrmole0694.JPG

15. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

The best potting soil. Drool.

meta lon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice