Your day's wildlife

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Flick of the Elbow, 17 Feb 2015.

Tags:
  1. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

A regular sighting almost daily now alongside the A1M as I drive home, Buzzard.
    As I join from the A14 theres a wide section of grass and I will often see one on the grass, searching for worms, small mammals, roadkill perhaps. Then the same a few miles further north near Peterborough.
    At each location, you'll often see one sat on a fence post, light crescent patch clearly visible on their chests.

No biggie really but go back 20 years, you NEVER saw buzzards round here.

Poacher, meta lon and Dave 123 like this.
  2. albal

albal Veteran

I drive around France . A lot. It's a similar story. So many line the autoroute sat on posts downward looking for their next prey. Never noticed them back in the early nineties . It's a joy to see them so prevalent.

3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I forgot to mention my sighting on the 30th of December. I was doing a big ride. So big in fact, where I live you only get buzzards, but where I got to has red kite.

I was cycling along and a kite dropped it’s (dead) prey (rabbit) from a fair height, right infront of me on the road. Splat!

I guess it thought I needed feeding up.

tom73 and Dave 123 like this.
  4. MikeG

MikeG Guru

Just watched a barn owl in our garden for quarter of an hour. It caught a mouse in the adjacent ditch.

Softening up, I reckon.I'll bet it went back and ate it once you were out of sight.

5. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Just had 5 long tailed tits do a flying visit..

albal and Dave 123 like this.
  6. I love it when that happens, usually hear the chatter before I see them, noisy little buggers!

7. Alex H

Alex H Guru

Anyone identify these please?

DSC_0236.JPG

Cavalol and Poacher like this.
  8. Tight Git

Tight Git Senior Member

Sanderling

9. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

My bird tally for a coastal walk today..Heron 3, Oystercatcher 38, Eider 1, Redshank 7, Curlew 1, Shag 8, Cormorant 7, Purple Sandpiper 33, Turnstone 9.

10. Alex H

Alex H Guru

From Wikipedia - "runs along the sandy beaches it prefers with a characteristic "bicycling" action of its legs" :laugh:

Reiver and Tight Git like this.
  11. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

They look very earnest and busy!

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  12. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I saw myfirst ever Curlew at Titchwell Marsh nature reserve in October.

13. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

you need to here them up on the moors on still and silent summer evenings, one of the most beautiful and haunting of bird sounds.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2019
  14. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

There little legs go at an astonishing speed, I have often followed them along the shoreline, and they can forage and run and keep 20 yards in front of me.

I once calculated that if my legs went at the rate theirs do, I would be walking at 144 mph

15. Cavalol

Cavalol Veteran

Sadly the injured fox we saw at work hasn't been spotted in ages. We got a fox rescue place in who left us a cage (monitored through day and night) for a few weeks, but he/she never showed up.
    Have to accept the poor thing has probably passed away now, made even more harder to deal with by the absolute and utter scum who hunted one recently then threw it into the canal after their dogs had ripped it to bits.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice