Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Far too slow to get a photo but spotted a grass snake slithering across our drive into the long grass this afternoon. We've got adders in the scrub/woodland behind our house, too.

And for the last few nights we've been kept awake by some noisy birds in the tress a few metres from our bedroom windows. I sent a sound clip off to a chum of my daughter, a real life ornithologist, and after discussion with his colleagues reckons it to be either a buzzard or a tawny owl and their respective young.

All these to go with the foxes, badgers and deer that keep triggering our security lights at night. Not to mention the rabbits that are systematically eating everything in the garden.

My useless lurcher dog just wants to play with her frisbee :sad:

geocycle

Legendary Member
We had a family of Jays through today. Lovely colours.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Haven't seen Greenfinches in the garden for several years, mirroring the national decline. This Spring I saw a male a few times, never saw a female
Juvenile Greenfinch on the feeder this morning so must have bred somewhere nearby and Mrs Greenfinch has kept herself hidden for months. I heard that the population is starting to recover so perhaps I can look forward to seeing them more often. Hope so as the male, particularly, is a great looking bird

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable

Proto

Legendary Member
My goodness but there are stork nests everywhere now. they are even nesting on electricity pylons. On the way to work I see them wandering through fields looking for food, and in the evenings they often fly low over the village.

Perhaps they're storking me.

I'll get me coat...

I seem to recall something on the news recently about storks now nesting in England again, first time for centuries, I think.

PS here you go .......
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...rks-hatch-for-first-time-in-hundreds-of-years

Top Bottom