Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Macavity would be the usual suspect, but just try proving it!
oh haha had to look that up, never saw the show

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh deer. From alongside the A10 cycleway opposite Andel Lodge. The fence in the foreground is the edge of the cycleway.
Image6014396672215786096.jpg

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Bald eagle, this morning. Not bad since I'm in the burbs. Bad photo I know, but as soon as I realized what it was, I had a mad scramble to get my phone.... By the time I got it, it was flying away, chased by crows.
IMG_20210210_082129565.jpg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Great excitement in the figbat household this morning. We were all preparing to make a start on various working and schooling form home activities when Master figbat runs into our home office (spare room) shouting "look at the trampoline!". For context, both his bedroom and the home office overlook the rear garden from the first floor, where a trampoline sits replete with safety net held up by a number of vertical poles.

The family figbat duly gathered in the office and looked at the trampoline - sat majestically atop one of the poles was a buzzard. Where we live they are not exactly rare, but the skies are normally filled with red kites meaning you don't see many buzzards around - this is the first we've seen perched in the garden. Happenstance would have it that the home office also doubles as my camera storage vault, so I reached for my best DSLR and grabbed the longest lens I have, removing the resident 50mm f/1.8 and snicking the 100-300mm f/4 into place with practiced ease. And as is often the way, the 'camera-being-lifted-into-position' sensor of the buzzard clearly went off and just as I raised the eyepiece to my eye it took off and disappeared.

Still, it was nice that the kids still get excited about wildlife and a pleasure to see this bird at close-ish quarters.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Spotted a peregrine out of the office window. Was checking out the field behind the house. To be honest I probably wouldn’t have been able to ID it except the local birdwatchers posted its picture on Twitter. Also had egrets flying over today. In the garden it’s blackbird and robins getting territorial. Eight long tailed tits arrived, oh and the goldcres. Quite like this WFH malarkey!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Today’s lunch visitor to the garden was a goldcrest, Britain’s smallest bird. Gorgeous little thing who likes our rosemary bush.

View attachment 572878
We are 600ft ASL so not typical goldcrest wintering territory but for the first time I can remember there is one wintering in the garden. It could have picked a milder winter!
However, it is still going strong and I see it most days flitting around looking for insects and spiders and must be finding enough to keep it going. Mild weather arriving Monday so it's only got one more tough day to survive

Top Bottom