Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Popped down to my usual spot , it was cold and felt colder with the brisk wind chill. Glad I did. I spotted from one spot.: sluice drain into the Harbour .
water rail chifchaff Siberian chifchaff Grey wagtail teal cormerant moorhen robin wren goldcrest cettis warbler and kingfisher. Sorry no photos, flippin freezing to get fingers out!. Made my day.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
A blackbird sliding down the corrugated plastic roof of my shed this morning.
20210214_114921_resized.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No photo, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but pretty much convinced that @Dark46 and I spotted a pilot whale in the River Severn at Framilode yesterday. A loud exhalation of air left a patch of disturbed water, into which drips of water splattered .... immediately followed by a sighting of a large hooked dorsal fin and very large blackish grey curved back. After a couple more sightings of the fin and back we raced to Arlingham to see if we could catch it again further downstream as it seemed to be riding the receding high tide. Dolphins are a very rare phenomenon in the Severn, but not without precedent. I've never heard of a pilot whale sighting this side of the Severn Bridges, but after a bit of reading up on the subject, I'm at least 75% sure it wasn't a dolphin. A real once in a lifetime sighting. Just glad I had someone with me to witness I wasn't going mad!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Sorry no pictures, but I was privileged to see a kingfisher drinking from a big puddle just now.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
fascinating! is a camera setup all the time?
Yes it is. We generally see eggs laid towards the end of April, so watch this space. This is from last year.

I replaced the box and camera a couple of weeks ago with something a little better than I've had in previous seasons. Low light capability is still not great so it tends to show everything in monochrome. There is an infrared illuminator which allows night time viewing too. This season I have angled the camera to give a view of the inside of the entrance hole as well as the nest itself. I'm hoping to capture first flights from inside the box when the time comes. If I upgrade again next year I plan to add a microphone.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Early signs of activity in one of my tit boxes. No nesting materials yet but it’s only a matter of time.
View attachment 574479 View attachment 574480

I have been planning to get a camera nesting box, but, my existing non-camera ones do not seem to be attracting any tenants. I don't know what. I am doing wrong, we have plenty of birds in the garden, merrily scoffing the food I put out, but, no action on the nesting boxes. I would be particularly annoyed if I forked out £30+ on a camera nest box and they ignored that too!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I have been planning to get a camera nesting box, but, my existing non-camera ones do not seem to be attracting any tenants. I don't know what. I am doing wrong, we have plenty of birds in the garden, merrily scoffing the food I put out, but, no action on the nesting boxes. I would be particularly annoyed if I forked out £30+ on a camera nest box and they ignored that too!
Position, maybe? I’m not an expert but I have found that some of mine are more favoured than others, perhaps because of height and orientation.

Top Bottom