Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Fabulous pic.

Hyslop

Veteran
On my regular run today-wonderful sighting of a male weasel as he moved along the hedge,in and out of his runs.Eventually he must have noticed me,shot down a hole and a minute or two later emerged dragging what appeared to be a mouse carcase,to disappear once again into the undergrowth.Common enough I know,but somehow it set the seal on what had been an otherwise mundane run,albeit with some sun,at last!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The State of Illinois introduced them to the central part of the State to control roadkill, cheaper than a fellow in a truck with a pitchfork. They had been indigenous to Southern Illinois before that. The State of Illinois also stocks ravens and crows. They do the same job, and also seem to control the pigeon population.

The Swallows have returned to the stables, while I was out on the horse yesterday i saw 4 kites and a buzzard together and about 20 deer wandering across the fields and into the woods.

MikeW-71

Veteran
A fair bit of wildlife today. A large bird of prey, about the size of a Buzzard but the colouring was different... must look it up, it soared over the road right in front of me and wandered off over the fells.

Then we had a Stoat, Pheasants, Grouse and a bird with a very distinctive call, but I've absolutely no idea what it is :sad:

Oh, and the Rabbit that crawled out of a hedge onto the road, keeled over and died right in front of me :ohmy::cry:

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Still no sign of swallows or martins but did see a calling nuthatch this afternoon, so much easier to see before the leaves appear.
Snowdrops this year seemed to keep going for ages but the daffs are already on their way out after just a couple of weeks.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Some escaped waterfowl around. Yesterday I saw a Black Swan at Stoke Bardolph, today a pair of Ruddy Shelduck just upstream of Trent Bridge.

More interesting yesterday was a pair of Buzzards at Gonalston (where the Glossy Ibis was until very recently), which seemed to be taking it in turns to fly low over a rookery, enticing Rooks to pursue them and seeing how far they could lead them away. Are they practicing for a distraction burglary, with one deliberately setting itself up to be mobbed while the other sneaks in to grab a young 'un from its nest? it certainly looked that way.

D

Deleted member 23692

Spend the day listening to the comedic squeaking of a pair of Oystercatchers who are nesting on the office roof.

gbb

Legendary Member
Third Little Egret in less than 2 weeks. Driving to work across the Fens this morning, egret was huddled down the side of a ditch/dyke.

Top Bottom