Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The House Martins have returned to my village - wonderful ^_^
"What a good place to be."

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
There's oystercatchers and gulls nesting on the flat roof of my work, apparently they are causing great disturbance to those in the office immediately below. I'm told that a pest control person was on site with a large gun the other day.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
At last, the swallows have arrived in this part of the world. Saw one fly past the house yesterday evening then this morning riding around West Lothian saw a good dozen. Happy days :smile:

Heard this chap and then saw him, I so rarely see them even when I can hear them and he's only the 2nd one I've ever spotted. Great Spotted Woodpecker I think. Unfortunately, wrong lens on camera, so this is blown up a bit and not so clear.

_IMG6710.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Quite a few butterflies out today. Nothing exotic but it's always good to see them, and the bees as well.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Heard this chap and then saw him, I so rarely see them even when I can hear them and he's only the 2nd one I've ever spotted. Great Spotted Woodpecker I think. Unfortunately, wrong lens on camera, so this is blown up a bit and not so clear.

_IMG6710.jpg

Brag, brag, boast, boast

They are regular visitors to our bird feeders in the back garden. The most we've had at once is three.

D

Deleted member 23692

[QUOTE 3649917, member: 9609"] What sort of roof is it? - is it a gravel covered flat roof ? generally they nest on stony islands in the middle of the river, I have never seen them use any material, just scrape a hollow out in the gravel and lay the eggs, and hope for a dry spell, if the river rises, it all just gets washed away.[/QUOTE]It's a flattish roof, but never having been up there I'm not sure if it is graveled or not. Nevertheless we get 2-3 pairs nesting up there every year and it's great when you encounter the chicks walking round the car park

_IMG6710.jpg
I would invite you to come and sit in my bedroom, but it could be taken the wrong way. I can get you within 1 foot of any one of the 3 of them that routinely visit my bedroom window throughout the day. They like the fat block that is one the window but I have to confess I am getting fed up of being woken up by them before my alarm clock goes off when they "peck" at the block. I don't even need to be awake to know who is on the fat block, I can name which bird is on it by the sound they make - loudest first Greater Spotted Woodpecker (male, female and last year's juvenile), nuthatch, Great Tit... then all of the rest are really quiet and I don't mind them!

Top Bottom