Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
E1C0C5F6-CC40-4386-B33B-D9DB9515A4E7.jpeg

A silver Y moth with a red mite on its front right leg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
9387D31E-E9B5-4569-9CD4-C11E418A92D0.jpeg
Small fan footed moth

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Garden Warbler, just lovely and sooo calm.
View attachment 655721

Lovely! One of those birds which are recognisable by having no notable physical features like eye stripes, spots, stripes etc., but wonderful song.

Bit of a dilemma here at Manoir du Braconnier. A young Blackbird died here today, almost certainly of avian influenza. I couldn't do anything for it, just leave it in peace. Official recommendation is to dig a hole at least 60cm deep to bury it (bloody difficult with all the tree roots) or dispose of it in household waste (bins were emptied yesterday, so next removal is in 13 days). Scarcely enough room in the freezer, and Mrs Poacher would be, to say the least, difficult about this option. Would it be acceptable to leave it for fox/badger/cat to take it? Are they susceptible? Bear in mind that most wild bird deaths will be scavenged.

Poacher

Badger was round early last night!
IMG_0472_Moment1.jpg

But wait! Is that an emboldened Bad Cat watching (top right)?

IMG_0472_Moment2.jpg
Cripes! It's getting closer. Has it found its inner tiger?
IMG_0472_Moment3.jpg

Praise be, it's only twinny, arriving late!

IMG_0472_Moment4.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Lovely! One of those birds which are recognisable by having no notable physical features like eye stripes, spots, stripes etc., but wonderful song.

Bit of a dilemma here at Manoir du Braconnier. A young Blackbird died here today, almost certainly of avian influenza. I couldn't do anything for it, just leave it in peace. Official recommendation is to dig a hole at least 60cm deep to bury it (bloody difficult with all the tree roots) or dispose of it in household waste (bins were emptied yesterday, so next removal is in 13 days). Scarcely enough room in the freezer, and Mrs Poacher would be, to say the least, difficult about this option. Would it be acceptable to leave it for fox/badger/cat to take it? Are they susceptible? Bear in mind that most wild bird deaths will be scavenged.

If it had hidden away behind a bush to die and you'd not seen it it would just have been left for scavengers. I don't think you disposing of one carcass is going to make much difference to the spread of the disease. :sad:

Gillstay

Über Member

Would you have a compost bin? That would be my choice or a wormery.

Poacher

Would you have a compost bin? That would be my choice or a wormery.

Hell no! I wouldn't put bird (or any other) bodies in a compost bin. Apart from the smell, imagine spreading the contents on a raised bed and encountering skeletal remains, feet and beak! Anyway, moot point now, as a vixen made off with the corpse. Fingers crossed for her health.

IMG_0175_Moment.jpg

Top Bottom