Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is this one of the mystical Little Egrets? Seen on the River Orwell as it flows through Ipswich
View attachment 521841
View attachment 521842
Indeed it is. There are lots of species of Egret (of which three are regular in UK) but this is the only one you will see with yellow feet

It's still amazing to think that this bird was a very rare visitor to UK only 30 years ago and now there are thousands of nests every year and numbers are increasing all the time

Levo-Lon

Guru
My brick and slate roofed Hedgehog feeding station has changed it's terms of use ..
It's now a Hedgehog nest :smile:,so maybe I'll be seeing hoglets in the next few weeks..

I'll keep the camera on and feed externally..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just moved the garden hose out of storage for the first time in years and these two came out .

The yellow paint on the snail shell is my data tagging .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
In Tit City, W14,

things have moved on. There are five live hatchlings left in the nest box. Four are quite boisterous and wander about the floor of the box while the other smaller one tends to stay in the original nest bowl. He/she will probably die in the next 36 hours. It's a brutal business.

The mother is on the left of the picture. The small weak bird is bottom right. The survivors will probably leave the nest within the next five days, and that's when the slaughter usually occurs. Jays, woodpeckers, magpies and, of course, those repulsive local cats make short work of them. None usually survive. For an adult bird that might live for three years, that seems a harsh sentence.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
In Tit City, W14, View attachment 524012

things have moved on. There are five live hatchlings left in the nest box. Four are quite boisterous and wander about the floor of the box while the other smaller one tends to stay in the original nest bowl. He/she will probably die in the next 36 hours. It's a brutal business.

The mother is on the left of the picture. The small weak bird is bottom right. The survivors will probably leave the nest within the next five days, and that's when the slaughter usually occurs. Jays, woodpeckers, magpies and, of course, those repulsive local cats make short work of them. None usually survive. For an adult bird that might live for three years, that seems a harsh sentence.
It’s a bit more crowded in our box. I think we still have seven or eight, and I expect they will leave in the next few days. I’ve moved a cctv camera in the hope that I can capture them when they attempt their first flights.
085C78CE-7179-4C5F-950D-01177BDA9552.jpeg

DAB21B35-77A4-4EB1-BD75-8A4668021586.jpeg

C00C2EEA-4058-47BB-A6E0-FA91D6A9848D.jpeg

Levo-Lon

Guru
My Blue Tits have fledged..no sign of any bodies , parents still about collecting food.

Hicky

Guru
Here’s my pathetic attempt to catch a glimpse of the blue tits nesting next to our garage. You can hear a decent number of fledglings cheeping away so I have my best hopes for them. Unfortunately we have a large number of corvids locally so the chances are slim. When we moved in (14 months ago)the previous owners told us they’d had tits nesting for the previous 4 years. I put up another nest box but I think I’ll have to relocate it as it’s within the large Silver Birch at the rear of the pic.....thoughts people...?

Attachments

• F3152B51-54EA-41EF-A708-D61101BB803E.jpeg
    F3152B51-54EA-41EF-A708-D61101BB803E.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom