Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw a new-to-me species; couple of oyster-catchers in the Dales last week. The first one looked like an odd Lapwing to me - asked my Dad later, and then did some googling. They're similar, but now I know the difference!

Very next day I saw another one (in meadows by the Liv-Leeds Canal). It's funny how once you get your eye in you start seeing birds you'd never noticed before :smile: About a 300meter height difference between the 2 locations.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A few photos from yesterday's family walk.

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
10.15 am, driving through an urban arterial road, a dirty stopout Muntjak meandering around, no doubt looking for somewhere to lay his tired bones after a long night out.
15 minutes later, I saw him meander back across the same road.
Young but fully grown I'd say, fresh looking, good coat and antlers. Seemed unconcerned by my car. Theres lots of tree bands aside many roads here, plenty of places to rest, even quite near to housing.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Saw a new-to-me species; couple of oyster-catchers in the Dales last week. The first one looked like an odd Lapwing to me - asked my Dad later, and then did some googling. They're similar, but now I know the difference!

Very next day I saw another one (in meadows by the Liv-Leeds Canal). It's funny how once you get your eye in you start seeing birds you'd never noticed before :smile: About a 300meter height difference between the 2 locations.
We used to have a lot of oystercatchers on one of my regular runs on Mull. Last time I was out that way about a month ago saw only two pairs with young and not many other birds either along the shoreline.
On my grandparent's croft in Sutherland there used to be a lot of peewits or lapwings to you. Over a period of several years they were gradually displaced by oystercatchers.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A morning walk with my lad up the estuary and around Warren Point. Back to the Ship in Noss for fish and chips and a beer.
Little Egret

Gatekeeper

Common Blue

Wall

Rezillo

TwoSheds
For the first time since 2012, up to when a pair were occasional June visitors, we have been home to a solitary turtle dove on or near our lawn since May.

It is still around, for the time being, usually early on. This photo through glass just after 6 this morning in low light from our kitchen window.

Top Bottom