Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Well had a new little hummingbird friend pay a visit this evening -a new one! Interestingly no ruby breast on it either (and yes I'm cleaning my window, I didn't even notice it until after I'd taken the photo..)

View attachment 540206

View attachment 540207
Female Ruby-throated; only the males have the ruby throat. Typically female, perch to feed, rather than waste energy hovering! :okay:

Poacher

As dusk starts to fall, a female(?) Sparrowhawk in our birch tree.
Judging by the feathers beneath here, this or another had a good meal of a juvenile Woodpigeon two or three days ago, so there's no surprise it's waiting patiently.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This morning a female Hen Harrier just above me at top of tree level. Given the shape of the wings it was certainly not a buzzard and too big to be any other common hawks. I have seen a male quartering the flat ground on the other side of the road so seems likely.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Last Friday morning on Hockenden lane coming up to Swanley (if you're from around these parts) an owl flew above my head for a moment before diving away into the opposite bushes. Gave me quite a start.

midlife

Guru
I went for a swim at Stoke beach near Noss May at about 8 this evening.
There were 2 dolphins leaping around a couple of hundred yards off the beach.
while snorkelling I saw a Ballan Wrasse.

Use to catch Ballan Wrasse 45 years ago off the rocks at Back of Keppoch, happy days :smile:

potsy

Rambler

Poacher

Think I'll position the Schwegler tit box a bit lower, so I don't have to reach above head height off a ladder to remove each year's nest materials, but can see inside before putting my hand in it. Sorry if this offends anyone with a squeamish disposition.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Bearded Vulture...not something you can often claim to have seen on a ride in UK

For those unaware, it has flown over from the Alps and has been in the Peak District for a month or so. Quite a good place for it to hang out; quite remote and full of sheep (which occasionally expire on the hills, thus providing dinner for the vulture).

I cycled past a group of birders near Glossop all looking through telescopes. Stoped for a chat...been seen half an hour ago, disappeared. Set off back home and glanced at the skyline across the valley and there it was, gliding around. Easy to watch with the naked eye, even a good half mile away

Top Bottom