Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Last year the first frog spawn appeared in the pond overnight between 25th & 26th March. Today is 25th March & the frogs have been busy.

And there has been a visitor who's left some poo in the grass

Hedgehog in case you're wondering.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
More Hedgehog action caught on camera in our back garden , we have invested in some food and it seems to like it

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As I know nothing about hawks can someone help identify it for me? I've pencilled in sparrowhawk as a possibility but I really couldn't say. It's over woods in SE London with a second one nearby.

View attachment 580106
Reasonably sure it's a Sparrowhawk. The giveaways are the length of the wings relative to the body size (Sparrowhawks are shorter winged, as you'd expect for a bird that mainly darts around trees rather than soars) and the tail shape (again, that's a tail for manoeuvring, not gliding)

The tricky thing is Sparrowhawks do glide in the right circumstances. I often see them here flapping and circling to gain height, after which they glide off to some wood or other. But they aren't built for soaring like a buzzard is

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
CCTV screen grabs of the outside of the box, internal camera for the nest. It’s coming on well.

31EBF57F-494B-40FA-9617-503A7ACE1D8D.jpeg

C4D453FA-B2CD-4424-9BF6-59C8571CE43B.jpeg

1D4AAF61-C9EF-4A5E-8813-DA8E6DA113C3.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
Spotted a Comma butterfly and a ladybird in the garden.

View attachment 581252

Well theres a coincidence, I saw one if these with the grandkids at a local country park yesterday, I never knew the name of them, lovely looking things and I dont remember seeing that many.
Today, oooh, maybe 10 or 15 Red Kite , three or four buzzard, loads of LBJs in the hedgerows, a Kestrel quite close up etc etc.
None of this is remarkable in itself, but how many people never even notice these things at all ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ride over some of the local moors today with a nice surprise...and a really nice surprise

The nice surprise was a weasel shooting out of a dry stone wall, crossing the road in front of me and disappearing into the dry stone wall on the other side. Don't often see them. I'm always amazed how small they are

The really nice surprise was a pair of Short Eared Owls engaging in some display flights on the top of Saddleworth Moor. They nest in the Peak District but they're hard to find. I can't remember seeing one on a bike ride before.

The nice surprise was a weasel shooting out of a dry stone wall, crossing the road in front of me and disappearing into the dry stone wall on the other side. Don't often see them. I'm always amazed how small they are

sitting on top of malham cove limestone pavement once with a gf, two weasels or stoats* shot out from somewhere and started tumbling rolling playfighting in front of us - they do it a lot apparently - really simple joyful thing to see. * never been sure of the difference, despite the old joke.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
sitting on top of malham cove limestone pavement once with a gf, two weasels or stoats* shot out from somewhere and started tumbling rolling playfighting in front of us - they do it a lot apparently - really simple joyful thing to see. * never been sure of the difference, despite the old joke.
I don't think I've ever seen a stoat. Weasels are surprisingly slim. Think of a very elongated, chubby mouse. Stoats are quite a lot heftier. Weasels seem to like hunting in the dry stone walls presumably for mice. I doubt a stoat would be slim enough

I don't think I've ever seen a stoat. Weasels are surprisingly slim. Think of a very elongated, chubby mouse. Stoats are quite a lot heftier. Weasels seem to like hunting in the dry stone walls presumably for mice. I doubt a stoat would be slim enough
suppose they may have been weasels then - the limestone pavement would be a good natural imitation of a dry stone wall - lots of stuff in all those cracks I suppose - lots of real dry stone walls in that area as well of course.

Top Bottom