Your Favourite Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Full marks to this lot. They knew how to party while rehydrating.
View attachment 433771

I loved the early Tour riders. They carried their own spares, and ran into pubs to get a bottle of ale. Things are sooo different now.

midlife

Guru
No contest... The Staffordshire Engine

Phil Bayton

9_bayton_late_career_R.jpg

...... And Billy Holmes

8127584623_db496ab5c6_b.jpg

matiz

Guru
Raymond Poulidor "Pou Pou" despite having to cope with Anquetil and Merckz he never gave up, three seconds and five third places in the TDF the last when he was forty , still going strong at 82 and well loved by the French fans.

MikeG

Guru
That was awesome! So, who’s your fav from the past, other than Peter from the present?

Andy Wilkinson, an amateur who has held every long distance world record, still holds at least one of the Lejog records, and has only recently lost the world 24 hour record. Here he is on that record ride:

Watch at 4.20, where he can't even climb off the bike at the end.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
José Manuel Fuente:

Fuente.jpg

A subjective view of course, but for sheer style no-one else has ever come close. Check out videos from the early 70s if you don't know him.

Honourable mentions to Freddy Maertens, Stephen Roche, Nicole Cooke, Cadel Evans and Laurent Fignon.

Actually my favourite when I first started watching racing was Joop Zoetemelk, but what I've read since I think I was probably wrong. I found that Hinault was far easier to appreciate once he'd gone. Will we ever see his like again?

D

Deleted member 23692

Hans Rey (former World Champion, pioneer of Trails and Freeride, Mountain Bike Hall of Famer, founder of 'wheels 4life' charity and currently mountain bike adventurer) has done probably more the shape and progress mountain biking than any other person... across all its varied disciplines.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNhHKjhyTd0

chappers1983

I was always a huge fan of Djamolidine Abdujaparov - it was watching his monster crash at the end of the ‘91 (?) tour and subsequent stagger across the finish line that inspired me to get into cycling.

And for him to have the audacity to dope himself up to the eyeballs to the extent that he won a mountain stage. In for a penny and all that........

Top Bottom