Your Favourite Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lets not forget Schwarzenegger. A keen champion of cycling, and he does his bit as a personal passion to promote the pastime. He makes a point of being seen cycling wherever he goes over the last 45 years, even flouting the helmet laws in Australia while doing so. In many of his books he discusses cycling as a good form of exercise, and an effective means of simply getting around. Not all of our heroes are as obvious as they might be.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Mrs M beat me to Tommy Voeckler.

I’d like to mention this fella

View: https://youtu.be/K_7k3fnxPq0

Watching his stuff puts a smile on my face, it’s a cross between ballet and wizardry.

Reg Harris....
220px-Reg_Harris_wins_quarter_final_of_1000m_cycle_race,_Olympic_Games,_London,_1948_(cropped).jpg

Fascinating bloke maybe a bit controversial in his day... But made a comeback aged 54 in the seventies to win a British title

A former pro told me that Harris bought that title. He entered again the following year and failed to win because a price could not be agreed.

I can believe it. Quite a lot of bribery etc at the time as well illicit substances...

As i said controversial bloke but an interesting subject. I read a biography about him a while back

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

José Manuel Fuente:

View attachment 433799

A subjective view of course, but for sheer style no-one else has ever come close. Check out videos from the early 70s if you don't know him.

Honourable mentions to Freddy Maertens, Stephen Roche, Nicole Cooke, Cadel Evans and Laurent Fignon.

Actually my favourite when I first started watching racing was Joop Zoetemelk, but what I've read since I think I was probably wrong. I found that Hinault was far easier to appreciate once he'd gone. Will we ever see his like again?

Good honorable mentions. Hinault, will we ever see his like again, as you say? Perhaps ask Greg LeMond. BH was his nemesis, so to speak. Yes,I think we will see the likes of him again. I hope so in my life time. We have a lot of classy riders today.

By the way, love the photo. Two greats together, and as they say in Newfoundland, "side by each."

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Andy Wilkinson, an amateur who has held every long distance world record, still holds at least one of the Lejog records, and has only recently lost the world 24 hour record. Here he is on that record ride:

Watch at 4.20, where he can't even climb off the bike at the end.

I'm blown away with that. 541 miles in 24 hours!! He could barely get off his bike after. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I never heard of this event before. I can imagine it took quite a while to recover. He has good support from his wife, assuming that she is. Thanks for posting this. I subscribed to the channel on YouTube.

Top Bottom