Your Favourite Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, I suppose we can give some accolades to the daily commuter.

UK political reference.

The 'commuter' is Boris Johnson MP, our best-known politician and someone who divides opinion - a bit like your Mr Trump.

MikeG

Guru
I'm blown away with that. 541 miles in 24 hours!! He could barely get off his bike after. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I never heard of this event before. I can imagine it took quite a while to recover. He has good support from his wife, assuming that she is. Thanks for posting this. I subscribed to the channel on YouTube.

That's only a part of the video made of the day, the rest of which I can't find at the moment. Hours later there was an award ceremony, and he had to be half-carried in as his legs still wouldn't support him. When footballers talk about "leaving it all on the pitch" they ought to be forcibly sat down and made to watch that clip.

Yes, it's his wife. She is a decent triathlete, apparently.

What I like most about Wilkinson is that he is just like one of us. He's a club cyclist. Goes out on the Sunday morning club run with all his mates. Works full time (in a bike shop). Fits in his rides when he can. He must be 50+ by now, but obviously still takes his cycling enormously seriously. And when I say he is just like us.........many people here would quietly think to themselves "if I could just get the time to do all the training, then maybe I could just beat that (PB, club record, whatever)". Wilkinson found the time, despite his job, and broke the records. And he did it without sponsorship, dieticians, trainers, coaches, full time physios, sports scientists, and so on, and in doing so, gives hope to a whole generation of amateurs that they too might be capable of something special. I was tickled pink that the guy who took the Lejog record a month or two back was a maths teacher from Harlow or somewhere near......not a train-at-altitude full time pro. I'm sure Wilko would approve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

UK political reference.

The 'commuter' is Boris Johnson MP, our best-known politician and someone who divides opinion - a bit like your Mr Trump.

Sorry, I recognize him now. I remember watching a short video clip of him riding around London. A bit like Trump? It has to be only a very little bit. Nobody is quite like that #@$%$#@!!

I made up a Cockney Rhyme about him. Going for a crap is also referred to as a dump. Dump . . . Trump. "I'm going for a Donald." HAHAHAHA!!! That about sums him up for what he's worth.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
image.jpeg

Not sure whether this one will translate well in Arizona.

Sorry, I recognize him now. I remember watching a short video clip of him riding around London. A bit like Trump? It has to be only a very little bit. Nobody is quite like that #@$%$#@!!

I made up a Cockney Rhyme about him. Going for a crap is also referred to as a dump. Dump . . . Trump. "I'm going for a Donald." HAHAHAHA!!! That about sums him up for what he's worth.

Actually if you wanted the cyclist in the picture as president you can have him!

He was born in the USA so would just have to move there for 14 years before launching his bid....

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

That's only a part of the video made of the day, the rest of which I can't find at the moment. Hours later there was an award ceremony, and he had to be half-carried in as his legs still wouldn't support him. When footballers talk about "leaving it all on the pitch" they ought to be forcibly sat down and made to watch that clip.

Yes, it's his wife. She is a decent triathlete, apparently.

What I like most about Wilkinson is that he is just like one of us. He's a club cyclist. Goes out on the Sunday morning club run with all his mates. Works full time (in a bike shop). Fits in his rides when he can. He must be 50+ by now, but obviously still takes his cycling enormously seriously. And when I say he is just like us.........many people here would quietly think to themselves "if I could just get the time to do all the training, then maybe I could just beat that (PB, club record, whatever)". Wilkinson found the time, despite his job, and broke the records. And he did it without sponsorship, dieticians, trainers, coaches, full time physios, sports scientists, and so on, and in doing so, gives hope to a whole generation of amateurs that they too might be capable of something special. I was tickled pink that the guy who took the Lejog record a month or two back was a maths teacher from Harlow or somewhere near......not a train-at-altitude full time pro. I'm sure Wilko would approve.

Nicely said, Mike. Cyclists are a bread apart from the rest. Athletes here are just overpaid prima donnas. Break a finger nail and they're off to the sidelines.

It's nice to see that even us regular guys have opportunities to strive for such achievements without the luxury of trainers etc that you mention. Those there that participate in such events like the, Lejog, as you refer to it as, I take my hat off in respect.

Alan O

Über Member
Mine might be my granddad. He used to ride his Sturmey-Archer 3-speed bike in all weather, and would have been ashamed to have to get a bike shop to fix anything - and he was an expert at maintaining those hubs too.

I once remember him shaking his head at my "modern" 5-speed with derailleur gears, muttering (something like) "You need one gear for uphill, one for downhill, and one for the flat - what else could you need?"

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Mine might be my granddad. He used to ride his Sturmey-Archer 3-speed bike in all weather, and would have been ashamed to have to get a bike shop to fix anything - and he was an expert at maintaining those hubs too.

I once remember him shaking his head at my "modern" 5-speed with derailleur gears, muttering (something like) "You need one gear for uphill, one for downhill, and one for the flat - what else could you need?"

I like that. Showing respect for your grandad. He sounds like remarkable man. A roll model to look up to.

This reminds me of my uncle, who in England rode for a cycle club. What I know is that he rode with wooden rims. I must search out his story from family. Thanks for reminding me through your story of your grandad.

Top Bottom