Your Favourite Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Jacques Anquetil. He was the first to win five Tour de France. View attachment 433770

He did the Dauphiné and Bordeaux–Paris double, one straight after the other. With help from de Gaulle, it's said.

He also won his races after being on the lash the night before, many times.

Something of a "bon vivant", old Jacko.

He had a rather unconventional personal life, too, which was not to everybody's liking. A read of "Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape" is recommended.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
He did the Dauphiné and Bordeaux–Paris double, one straight after the other. With help from de Gaulle, it's said.

He had a rather unconventional personal life, too, which was not to everybody's liking. A read of "Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape" is recommended.
De Gaulle let him have the use of a military jet fighter plane so he could get quickly from Nice to Bordeaux for the start.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
View attachment 433777
I'm interested to know who is your favorite cyclist? Now, if anyone out there says Lance Bleedin' Armstrong, I'm coming out there and give you 50 lashes with a wet noodle, HAHAHAHA!!

Me, my vote goes to the brilliant Italian cyclist, Marco Pantani. A bull on the mountains, and the first to win the Giro of Italia and the Tour de France the same year.

So, who is your favorite from the past, and why?
Me.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Honourable mentions go to
Fausto Coppi
Lizzie Deignan (Armitstead)
@blazed

But the one who inspired me to get back into cycling is Sir Bradley of Wiggins

I'm also a fan of Sid..

View attachment 433769

Riding a Raleigh Chopper in moccasins while smoking a pipe. Only Sid was cool enough to carry that off.

I'll take your cool and raise you this:
28071.JPG
:becool:

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

[QUOTE 5409783, member: 9609"]Amanda Coker for me - 86,573 miles in a year, basically averaged 237 miles a day for a year. No body has done more.[/QUOTE]

That’s hugely impressive. My hat off to her.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Honourable mentions go to
Fausto Coppi
Lizzie Deignan (Armitstead)
@blazed

But the one who inspired me to get back into cycling is Sir Bradley of Wiggins

I'll take your cool and raise you this:
View attachment 433894 :becool:

Sir Wiggins. He’s a definite modern day pick. Amazing talent, for sure. But what about Steve and his folder. I wonder if it’s a Raleigh. They made folders back then.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

This thread of mine has been a good education. Some of these riders I’m not familiar with.

vickster

Legendary Member
Beryl Burton :okay:

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Paul Kimmage is worth a mention too. He doesn't come across as a very likable guy, but he was the first to blow the lid off what was really going on and he was made to suffer for it for a long time before being proved right.

Pertaining to substances like EPO? I will have to look him up.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Andy Wilkinson, an amateur who has held every long distance world record, still holds at least one of the Lejog records, and has only recently lost the world 24 hour record. Here he is on that record ride:

Watch at 4.20, where he can't even climb off the bike at the end.

I was there supporting a friend who was also riding. I also saw George Berwick start his 56th 24 (he's done 60 now).
There was an epic battle between Wilko and John Warnock, with Wilko eventually coming out on top. Horrible course, with hills and traffic lights.

Top Bottom