Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

longers said:
Ditto too, there's no shame in it though :angry:.

oh there is. It's not natural. you've probably all got webbed feet.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
gbb said:
Now you mention it..
I can head west toward Weldon / Corby...rolling hills and countryside
South towards the Alconbury and Molesworth...again nice rolling countryside.
North toward Stamford mostly flat countryside, N/east toward Spalding, flatter than flatness itself :biggrin:, not too interesting, but ok

Or i can head east...no, i never head east....flat, boring and too much traffic.

On the plus side, we went for a wallk today, east along the river Nene. Found the Nene walkway...looks good for a duet on the hybrids.

Wahayyyyy...we made that ride eastwards on the Green Wheel cycle network from Peterborough.
Rode along a freshly laid tarmac cyclepath from Peterborouh, alongside the River Nene to Whittlesea...pristine cycleway, the tarmac layers were still working at one end. Brilliant.

Nice and sunny, a little breezy, 19 miles of mostly cyclepath riding...no traffic, hardly any other cyclists, very few pedestrians.....it was like we were the only people on the planet at times.
19 miles...and i dont think we've scratched the surface of the network yet.

The perfect foil to a sad morning at the Chapel of Rest.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I kept being beeped today, and was told to move over to the left and off the f***ing road by an Irish man whilst waiting at some traffic lights. I even stopped to see if i had a sign on my back saying beep at me.
Was nice though. The weather was warm, and it wasnt raining.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
:B) Rain dodged for 10 miles last night, thinking... the winds going this way, should have a tail wind going home...and it will be blowing the cloud away from me...no problem.
xx(xx(xx(
As soon as i turned round....5 miles of hail, rain, wind in my face...i got that completely wrong :biggrin::biggrin:

Still, 20 miles'ish..fresh air....open countryside :smile:

my ride today was knackering. My last ride on Friday had left me with really tired legs, so much so, they felt wobbly when I was scrambling over rocks on Saturday.

So I decided to ride Monday, an easy one. I lobbed the bike in the car and drove down to the loch to cycle the 41 miles around it. Longish but absolutely flat.

I got to about 30 miles and my legs started to tire. Within 2 miles they'd just gone and I was reduced to stopping every few miles for a breather, which as it was a beautiful day and nice views wasn't so bad.

It's weird, in all other respects I felt fine, wasn't suffering just couldn't turn the pedals. I've kept the same weekly distance the last few weeks so can't explain the tiredness. I was thirsty though, maybe I was a tadge dehydrated.

Anyway I still enjoyed it.

bobg

Über Member
gbb said:
Mine was so good. (I did go for that ride...glad i did)
Just over 20 miles, but since the rear ends a bit sore...;):blush:
Suns been shining here all day, 13 or 14 degrees, 15 mph winds made it a bit slow on the outrun, but fast home (20 -25 mph for 6 miles :biggrin: ).
Very very glad i went....now i feel guilty about feeling good :sad:

How was yours....

Exactly like yours except my bum's OK:biggrin: Stopped for a swim after. plus a visit to the LBS. What more can you ask of a day....:thumbsup: Excellent.......

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Rain dodged today aswell. Only ever entered some light rain.
There was a car accident today, must have been recent because the tail-back was only short. It soon got bigger though do to the fact people needed a look and they decided to park in the stupidist place when there was a side road just off from where it happened.
Day off tomorrow, going on a nice long ride. But i bet the weather is going to be wet and windy.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Where are the Police on a frosty morning like today :angry:

Riding to work, crisp and clear.....as i rode over a set of traffic lights :ohmy::ohmy:
there's a Corsa approaching the reds, his (i assume) windscreen was so frosted up, i couldnt see the driver at all !!!!!!
I assume he could see very very little. Bstard.....i was sorely tempted to go back and knock on his window and ask WTF he thinks he's doing.

Why oh why isnt there a policeman there when you need one. Dangerous Driving...Driving Without Due Care perhaps....stupid stupid bstard.

Before you tell me i should have told him.;) by the time i'd got back, he'd have probably gone anyway.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Saw me a Marsh Harrier this evening :tongue:
Riding along the back of the Milton Estate near Peterborough...a private estate surrounded by woodland and open countryside. Heard (worryingly) a couple of shotgun discharges from a nearby copse, looked up and saw a large raptor flying low, then landed in a field about 200 or 300 yards away. He sat there for a couple of minutes, then lazily loped off toward another section of woodland.

Shame i didnt have any binos with me, a bit too distant to pick out details. He stood about 2 ft high and once flying, his wingspan was about 4 ft, maybe more.

We actually have a good population of Marsh harriers about 10 miles away on the edge of the Nene Washes. I once saw 4 of them in the same area, same day, same lazy fight, low, just quartering the land looking for prey no doubt.

Very nice to see on an otherwise cold, but steady ride.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Finished work early today...spring finally seem to have sprung :biggrin: what a nice day for a ride.
37 miles, wished i'd put shorts on, birds are out in numbers, about 16 degrees...awesome afternoon.
I surprised myself, i never use the drops...but on a section with mild headwind i was down to 14 mph on the flat. Placed my fore-arms on the crossbar, 'tri' style, and my speed was a consistent 16 mph :tongue:

With Mapmyride i can see the max and min elevations (27 and 236 ft in my case)..but can i see how much i climbed in there, or do i have to use another site ?

3/4 of a days work, 37 miles on the bike, walked the dog for maybe 3 miles....not bad :biggrin:

Well reminded gbb: Yesterdays ride was very satisfying. It's one of my hillier rides with 4 over a mile long climbs between 7-10% gradient. I turn round at the bottom of the 2nd and go back over both the other way, otherwise it's an 80 mile round trip. Mapmyride has it that there's 1300ft of climbing, so I'm always pleased to complete it.

I didn't suffer too much yesterday and the advantage of this route is that even the wind doesn't make too much of a difference because of the hills. Yesterdays wind was not bitter for the first time this year, so the whole ride felt good.

Today though I've come down with a slight bug which has been trying to get me for a few weeks, so I'll have to see how I recover over the next few days.

PS gbb, Mapmyride should show total ascent, it does for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom