Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What a brilliant thread this is. I've only just noticed it a few days back ,and it's a fantastic thread to motivate cyclists to get out on there bikes by reading this.
Today I managed a 28 mile ride which is a miracle after one to many Guinness,s last night down the pub with my mates :-) :-)
Welcome to the club. I have to warn you, it's addictive! ^_^

At Dunford Bridge I took the left turn and up to Carlecotes stopping at the bench at the top for a drink and snack bar and to take in the views. It appeared a bit hazy here as they were burning off the heather across the valley.

View attachment 380548

They were still burning off, up that direction yesterday, as I could see it from the top floor at work (Pinderfields General Hospital), on the northern side of Wakefield

(can generally see the turbines, & the blades turning from there)

Mike_P

Guru
24 miles and 1618 ft f climbing was the plan - a rerun on the road bike of a route done on the hybrid back in April. However as I headed north west
Burley Bank.jpg

the couple of leaning trees were like me getting a buffering from the wind such that I managed my second slowest time along its 4/5th of a mile.
Heading down towards Hampsthwaite, the original destination was on the ridgeline
Rawdon Lane.jpg

while at the entrance of the village is a pretty magnificent tree
Hamsthwaite tree.jpg

which I suspect will not looking like this much longer especially with tonights frost. Opted to turn right rather than left so abandoning copying the Hybrid route and opted instead to plod up Clint Bank
Clint Bank 2.jpg

where once again I got muddled up with the gears - must keep on repeating the left lever is the rear set, the right lever is the front set.
At the top turned east onto the route of NCN67 and completely forgot when stopping at the only gate on this section to change the gears. The uphill stretch that followed was a no go in the gears I had set.
NCN67 E of HBnk.jpg

Reset them to something more suitable but only after the chain had decided it to jump off.
Rest of ride pretty uneventful, albeit these two culprits brought me to a grinding halt twice
canine3.jpg
canine4.png

Followed NCN67 to the car park next to Asdas in Harrogate where upon I took to the roads - NCN67 itself goes straight through Asdas car park!

Route was clockwise - 13 miles and 877ft of going upwards
29-10 route.jpg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nice one Donger - I've never had a go at Frocester as it looks too daunting. Come down it many a time, though, but those few hairpins just at (what would be) the fast bits means one has to be on the brakes a fair bit.

Percepton is a funny thing. I must have done Frocester Hill 8 or 10 times over the years, and although I always think I'm going to give up and put a foot down on the first right hander, I never have..... so far. And yet I've never even contemplated doing the Portway, as it just looks impossible .... and there you go beating it twice in a week, but never taking on Frocester! I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and have a go at the Portway some time soon. I can certainly recommend Frocester Hill. Just keep gritting your teeth until you get around the first S bend and it eases off just enough for you to know you are going to make it. When you get to the top, hang a left at the crossroads and nip along to Coaley Peak viewpoint .... makes it all worthwhile (specially if the ice cream van is there).

Dark46

Veteran
Percepton is a funny thing. I must have done Frocester Hill 8 or 10 times over the years, and although I always think I'm going to give up and put a foot down on the first right hander, I never have..... so far. And yet I've never even contemplated doing the Portway, as it just looks impossible .... and there you go beating it twice in a week, but never taking on Frocester! I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and have a go at the Portway some time soon.

Nothing wrong with going down Portway lol

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nothing wrong with going down Portway lol
Coming from someone I once saw descending Upton Hill at over 50mph with his chain hanging off, (and who generally descends like a meteorite), forgive me if I don't follow your recommendation! I think I'd rather launch myself off the 90 metre ski jump at Garmisch Partenkirchen in a shopping trolley than ever descend the Portway on my current bike....... Maybe when my birthday comes around and I get to ride my new one (with discs) I might just try it.

stumpy66

Veteran
Light winds and sunshine for once, though it was only 7C when I set out. Only 43 miles but I was knackered at the end - it must have been the cold.
Beautiful autumn colours everywhere, but too cold to stop for many photos. It isn't just deciduous trees which provide colour, I love the contrast between the yellow grasses and the brown bracken.

From the summit of the Berrybush, looking north east down Altrieve Lake.

View attachment 380801
In Ettrickdale

View attachment 380802
Great cycling down there

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
8 miles on the Trek 600 in breezy sunshine, a good contrast to yesterdays snow and grey, a day for the turbo.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been a bit lethargic and slow today but eventually dragged myself out for a ride after lunch without any real idea of where I wanted to go.

In the end I decided to head south to Cardington with the intention of doing a loop of about 30 miles but found it surprisingly hard going in the cold air and against a bit of a headwind. The climb up Folly Bank was on a carpet of hedge cuttings as there was a tractor with cutter working its way up the hill.

At the top of Folly Bank I decided on a whim to turn left and carry on climbing to Yell Bank where there were some great views from the top. I chatted with a couple of other cyclists at the viewpoint then carried on, and again on a whim, headed for Church Preen. On the way a pickup went past in the opposite direction followed shortly after by a small terrier going like the clappers trying to catch up.:laugh:

I also encountered a couple on a car who were looking for directions to Church Preen. I pointed them the right way but they carried on straight through the village. I think they may have been expecting somewhere bigger.:blush:

I had to change my route here as the lane I was going to take was closed, so headed down the hill to the school and took the road to Kenley then Acton Burnell and back via Condover and Lyth Hill.

27.7 miles today at a more leisurely than usual 13.2 mph average.

DSC0005336.jpg

From near the summit of Yell Bank looking towards Cardington, Wenlock Edge and the Clee hills.

DSC0005339.jpg

From the viewpoint looking towards Shrewsbury.

DSC0005340.jpg

How about this for getting away from it all? Farm near Church Preen.

gavgav

Guru
Busy weekends in October have meant not much chance to get out for long rides and so needed to get out for a spin after work tonight, despite the dark nights having properly arrived.

First note was how, in the space of a week we’ve gone from balmy warm evenings to a proper winter feeling evening, and 4 layers needed.

One of my usual Town based routes, through Reabrook, up to Heathgates, then Castlefields and along the River Towpath into The Quarry. The clocks changing appears to have passed 90% of Shrewsbury people by, judging by the number of people without any reflectives, lights, or torches, either on themselves or their errant dogs running around. Wake up people and be seen!!

Continued, having just about avoided a collision with a dog, into Porthill, Copthorne, Radbrook, Nobold and Meole Brace, where I had to plough through hedge cuttings that were strewn all over the road.

No punctures have appeared so far.

11.3 miles

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My group ride on Sunday was car assisted, so I left the bike in the car for another car assisted ride today.

Plan was to drive to Consett in County Durham to do an out and back along the C2C track to Parkhead Station.

Time was I would have been wary of leaving the car in Consett, but they have a tidy looking retail park now.

Also handy to get some cash from the hole in the wall machine, card payments are not the norm where I'm going.

P1000472.JPG

Next pic is at the mineral wagon junction of two NCN paths, straight on for me.

P1000473.JPG

The path is flat/slightly uphill heading west, apart from one or two sharp ramps where they buried the railway line tunnel and laid the path over the top.

P1000474.JPG

There's a few tracks/rights of way crossing the path, mostly used by farmers.

This gate is new, marked 'Charlotte's gate 2017' and 'Palmer's Bridge'.

P1000475.JPG

Not many trees this far up, so this stand is always a welcome sight.

P1000476.JPG

The last few miles to Parkhead is exposed, but no trees means no roots, so the path is fairly smooth.

My destination is just visible on the horizon, it's only a couple of miles but looks further.

P1000477.JPG

Arrival at Parkhead Station.

Fortunately, it's still open although a sign inside tells me they are moving to weekends only from next weekend.

P1000478.JPG

A coffee and a toastie, followed by a chat with the proprietor.

She's been running the place for 17 years and was very friendly today, but she can blow a bit hot and cold.

I mentioned the, er, 'mixed' reviews online, and was told that one cyclist who used to use the place all the time has taken against it.

Two sides - or more - to that story, no doubt.

My food and drink was good, and I was told to knock on the door if I was passing when the place is shut, or ring in advance and they would put the kettle on.

Can't say fairer than that.

P1000479.JPG

Time to head back, to use a John Wayne line, I'm burning daylight by now and it's getting chilly.

Nearly all a gentle decline, so I'm back at the car in about 45 minutes.

A round trip of 20 miles and some useful winter refreshment intelligence gained.

D

Deleted member 1258

63 miles the journey, Kineton the destination, the ride that took me over, 4000 miles for the year. Last year I did an extended ride to Kineton but never finished it, I had a bad reaction to a wasp sting and finished the ride in an ambulance. I set out this morning to complete that route. I followed my usual route out through Baginton, Long Itchinton and Harbury, but didn't use the farm road, instead I turned through Bishops Itchinton, Knightcote and Gaydon then into Kineton. On the way back I followed my usual route though Lighthorn and down the gated road to Chesterton then turned and rode past the windmill and Harbury then turned onto the Welsh road to ride through Offchurch, where last year’s ride ended, and Cubington then turned through Bubinhall and picked up a regular route home through Ryton and Wolston to come into Coventry past the old Speedway Stadium. A lovely day for a bike ride, cold but sunny and only a light breeze, a very enjoyable mornings cycling.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/18747496

Top Bottom