Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Beautiful weather today, so off i went on my usual route. 15 miles done, lots of sun, and pheasants :laugh:. I wish every day was like this. It was more like a spring day than winter.
Screenshot_2017-11-01-15-01-55.png
20171101_132029.jpg
20171101_132205.jpg
20171101_131251.jpg
20171101_124019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another superb autumnal day. John B and Jules H were at Newland so we took to the run along the Leigh brook to climb for Acton Green. John hadn't done the Evesbatch descent for ages so we went that way. Then we took the traditional lane for Burley Gate. At Ocle Pychard John headed home as he had house maintenance stuff to supervise. Jules and I went by Black Hole Lane for Lugwardine. Not long after we rolled into the Lucksall cafe. But it was closed for the season. Plan B was the New Inn at Fownhope and that worked very well. What a lovely welcome we got. Fownhope is new to Jules and he was impressed with this village.

We took the easy way out of Fownhope for Woolhope. I hadn't been this way for quite some time. It's just magnificent with the autumn colours on the trees and the upslope is quite gentle too. Beyond Woolhope we climbed in steps to the transmitter mast on the ridge before dropping on another very underused lane. The views from this were just wondrous with May Hill dominating the scene. It was necessary to climb over the ridge again but worth it. The drop to Much Marcle is quite fast. From there we took the standard run back around the southern flanks of the Hills and the Castlemorton lanes. What a super day. Sunshine, no wind and lovely scenic lanes and hills with good company. What's not to like? 64 smiles.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
The chance to get a November point in the 50km challenge in superb weather was too much to resist, today. Sod work!

I went out to the north of Ipswich on Patsy #1 The Carbon. A great ride, but I'm a little concerned that either I've lost some stamina, or I'm getting my food intake wrong, because I don't half feel worn-out. Ho-hum, I'll sort it out. Anyway, some pics:-

This usual front garden at Barham.
1.JPG

The 'Bike In Front Of Gate' pic, outside Helmingham church.

3.JPG

And while I had churches in my sights, this of Framsden church - the Halloween pumpkins are behind me.
5.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Due to unusually slow shopping (even for Mrs Donger), I didn't think I was going to have time for a ride before sundown today. Turned out I had just long enough to sprint down to Epney (via the shortcut) and back home the usual way. Only 11.8 miles. I really wish I'd taken the camera with me today, though. At Epney, the Severn was mirror calm, and the sky was just starting to turn pink. A couple of other cyclists were chatting at one end of the flood wall outside the Anchor Inn, and I didn't like to interrupt, so I idled along to the opposite end of the flood wall to take in the views on my own. I chanced to take a peek over the wall at the river's edge below .... and blow me down! There was a beautiful kingfisher sitting on a stick that was poking up out of the mud. I backed off a little but kept watching as he flew back and forth between his stick and a couple of large flat rocks at the water's edge about 10 metres away. Brilliant flashes of electric blue. I think that's only the third one I've ever seen, and definitely the best, most prolonged sighting yet. Magical.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as per..
After an 02:15 finish from w*rk, and bed by 03:00, I was up and around by 07:45.. <yawn>
As I'm now a registered ol' f*rt, I have to have an annual medical for my C+E (HGV) licence. I thought it best to ride the 20 odd miles to Milton Keynes as it's only £35, not the £60 to £120 charged locally. (I wish I could earn that for 15 minutes labour!!)
Anyways up.. I'd txt'd a few friends to see who wanted to join my medical ride, and a couple of them could make it.
The plan was to meet at the canoe centre, on Bedford Road, at 10:00 as my appointment was at high noon.
I'd arranged to call at Mate #1 at 09:40 to be in time for meeting with Mate #2 at 10:00.
A sound plan, methinks! Mate #1 had finished his dog walking a bit early and arrived at my house at 09:30. No, probs, I'm primed and ready to go..Mate #2 then txts.. I'm at Mate #1's house.. Where are you? Well, here, obviously.... duh..
Within a few minutes, and a phone call, we found out where he'd got to, and started on our ride..
Not a hard route to ride, being mainly B roads with a smattering of well graded canal side paths.

Untitled.png

IMG_4024.JPG

We rode over the Iron Trunk aqueduct, opened in 1811, where the Grand Union canal crosses the river Great Ouse.
It was near this point that Bob's pedal fell off. Such is life. He'd not tightened it up fully, and we didn't have the tools to fix it..

IMG_4027.JPG

.. and the local canal dwellers only had an adjustable spanner that was too fat to fit! Nice of them to want to help though :notworthy:

As we were within a mile of my clinic, we 'made do' and carried on, looking for a garage that might have a spanner that would do the job.

IMG_4028.JPG

Nearly there.
Medical over, suitably impressed that I'd ride 20 miles to see if I was fit enough to drive a truck, we popped into the local cafe for a coffee and coconut thingie..

IMG_4030.JPG

They did goat curry, but it was a bit early for that :laugh:
Crackin' cafe though, and one to put on the map for future forays southwards :hungry:

Once pronounced fit for w*rk, we rode towards Evans in the city centre to sort the loose pedal out. Before we got there, we saw Go Outdoors so called in there and they fixed it for nothing. We then turned northwards back to Northampton, planning to ride back to the same clinic next year for my check up. :okay:

Back home on a 47 miles, topped up to 50, later, with my evening walk, ready for some/mucho beer!! (non-driving day tomorrow :wahhey:)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1254959005

:smile:

Pre-post edit... Day before yesterdays ride as it's gone midnight since I started the post..

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A perfect day for the century a month ride yesterday. Today I have a sore throat and general yuck, so that was good timing. A day of twists and turns through the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley AONB. I'm still amazed how many delightful local roads remain to be discovered - by me, that is.

A few snaps. Soudley, by the Dean Heritage Centre:

P1000090a.JPG

St Briavels, looking towards Llandogo:

P1000091a.JPG

Near Coughton, south of Ross:

P1000097a.JPG

And sometimes you just have to stop:

P1000102c.JPG

Donkeys don't really do happy, but this lot looked as contented as any I've seen.

Edit - I really should have put the outline in, because it was quite a pretty one!

Nov01map.JPG

Nov01ele.jpg

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Well not much to crow about.I went out for just over an hour.Just loafing about.More to stretch the legs than anything.Highlight was seeing Old Jon as he turned off North Lane on to Otley Road on his way to Otley no doubt,i was sat having a latte.
As my old teacher would say,must try harder.Just don't seem to have the motivation.Lost it somewhere along the way.
That time off the bike with the prostate bleeding has a lot to answer for.i need to put my head in gear and put MY NEEDS first.Cycling is one of them.

Old jon

Guru
Well not much to crow about.I went out for just over an hour.Just loafing about.More to stretch the legs than anything.Highlight was seeing Old Jon as he turned off North Lane on to Otley Road on his way to Otley no doubt,i was sat having a latte.

Well, thank you @postman, I have never been a highlight before. Yes, I was on my way to Otley, read on.

By ‘eck, its cold here! Maybe having spent the last month in Brazil has thinned my blood. Or something. So, in all that time I have only ridden a device in a gym. It had a saddle, and pedals, so it could have been a BSO. In reality not. It was mechanical boredom, and cold or not, I am happy to be back riding proper.

So, twenty nine and a bit miles today on a familiar set of roads, but every day and every ride is different. The autumn colours are out with a vengeance, and enough leaves have fallen off that some views have opened out. But not along the towpath.

The more or less usual start, a meander through sunny Holbeck on the way to Office Lock and the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Along the way I noticed that wings have been fitted to the end of Water Lane. In my opinion the Wright brothers or Barnes Wallis, even as a team of three, are unlikely to make Water Lane fly. Developments are eagerly awaited.

This bit of the ride was chosen because I was totally unsure how well my legs would cope with riding after such a layoff, and by the time I reached Viaduct Road there were indications that some fitness had been misplaced. In short, my legs hurt! But not enough to stop the ride. The climb up Cardigan Road certainly warmed me up and the following slog to Lawnswood increased my temperature even more. All to the good. All along the A 660 to the Dyneley Arms, followed by the welcome whizz down Pool Bank. Turn left at the bottom, along the A 659 heading for Otley.

From there, after a brief stop for grub and a slurp, it was back on the A 660 for the long grind back up to the Dyneley Arms. I did notice that I was slow, or maybe just tired. I will take a bike next holiday. Once reaching the pub, of course, the ride back to home is very much downhill. Very welcome indeed, even the Headingley traffic jam is bearable ‘cos it means there is not far to go and only the towpath joggers to steer around after returning to the canal at Kirkstall. After another inspection of the Water Wings and a wander through some of Hunslet it is a pedal up Dewsbury Road and home. Great, really, and the smile said it all.
Cannot forget the map, but the site is reluctant to allow me to post it. Mind, it has been seen a few times . . .

[QUOTE 5023415, member: 9609"]thankyou - that bikes done a few miles and I wouldn't swap it for anything, seriously if someone came along and offered me a straight swap for the latest state of the art high tech carbon bike - I would just say no.[/QUOTE]
Thanks User9609 I mentioned you and your bike to a recently retired couple I met today at a café as they were apologising for only having bikes brought from Halfords. I explained that it really doesn't matter what bike you ride just as your out there doing it. I was on my Orbea and they thought it was the business so I had to explain to them that it cost a fraction of a top notch bike.

Top Bottom