Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My first ride in 13 days after being laid low with the dreaded manflu.
It seems to have gotten cold out there in that time, as even with winter bib tights, overshoes, full gloves, a buff, a skullcap and three layers on the top half it was still a bit brisk on leaving home.

Still, I was out there, that's the main thing. No real plan today, although I did think about sneaking in a metric half if everything went my way.

Coal Road, Skeltons Lane and then down Sandhills into Thorner. The downhill bits were fine, but putting any sort of effort in on the uphill bits had me gasping and coughing. Through Thorner, taking it steady and out onto Milner Lane, but even the rise out of the village (not the sharp climb up onto the ridge that follows) had me hacking away again.

So, realising that it just wasn't happening today, I turned round and headed back into the village, then onto Carr Lane. As anyone who knows the area will tell you, the only way out of Thorner is uphill, but Carr Lane is the least aggressive of the hills to tackle.

Even then I had to stop for 5 minutes to get my breath / clear my head at the top of the first climb, but at least I got a photo as well:

IMG_20171104_094410768_HDR.jpg

Down through the S-bends and then the climb up to Wetherby Road followed by a quick (it's all relative) run along to Coal Road and the final climb of the day (thank goodness!) before dropping down onto local roads to home.

8.7 miles (14.0km) in 45m at an average of 13.1mph with 383.8ft climbed.

Not what I'd got planned, but the best I could sensibly manage under the circumstances. Maybe a bit of indoor cycling is needed this weekto at least get a bit of fitness back, but I really need to get my chest clear before. Any ideas of a metric half today were clearly beyond optimistic...

Still, it could have been worse - when I got home I realised that just like @13 rider I'd gone out without my pump....but at least I didn't need mine today :rolleyes:

And to end, a small map
04112017.JPG

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunny but cold, I put an extra layer on and headed northeast towards the Lammermuir. First stop by a roadside standing stone, unfortunately in the shade which the phone camera struggled to cope with.
IMG_20171104_110302_5.jpg

By now I was stopping every few minutes to take photos. The autumn colours seemed amazingly intense, the air crystal clear. It eventually dawned on me that these phenomena were caused by my cycling glasses which I'd bought in the summer but rarely worn due to the absence of any sunny days. They are the only visual aids I have with my correct distance prescription for both eyes, hence the clarity, and they're blue tinted so accentuate reds and browns.
Still some good colours even without the blue tint.
IMG_20171104_110731.jpg

On the horizon are Twinlaw Cairns, a pair of beautifully constructed dry stane cairns about three metres high.
IMG_20171104_111905.jpg

The road home was paved with silver.
IMG_20171104_111932.jpg

43 miles in total.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Theo Nelson Audax

It was wet wet wet first thing but the forecast was for big improvements. So I rolled up to the start of the Audax to sign in and collect my Brevet card. @Donger was there so we greeted each other and had some chats. Organiser Mark was 10 minutes late setting us off, not that that was a problem. Donger headed out first setting a good pace. The Donger group had misplaced a Garmin so their "team support" rolled up before Haw Bridge to get that sorted. With some speedy folks cracking on I took to my own pace which suited another rider too. Unfortunately I didn't get his name but we chatted as we pedalled along the Hams in a southerly direction. The route south was very familiar to me as we headed for the Forest. Another pair of riders doubled our group size and kept the chat flowing. The climb to Littledean broke us up a bit and a nasty sharp shower had me donning my waterproof at Blackpool bridge. Not much farther on I took it off again. Not far now and the control at Parkend hove into view. Refreshment time but not quite half way. Donger brought his group in not long after.

I spotted some old work colleagues so had a chat before I headed out with my first companion to ride up through the Forest for Lydbrook. The climb was too much for my new pal so I took to the steep climb up to Joy's Green alone to be rewarded with clear views westward. Ruardean signalled another up before a small drop and a climb away from Drybrook. The descent to Mitcheldean was steep and a bit tricky but set us up for the run to Aston Crews and Gorsley. It was here I jinked differently to avoid a small section of busy road. The ride through Dymock woods was stunning with the trees displaying super autumn colours. Here I met my other two new pals and we rode for a short time before something caused a delay to one. I was briefly on my own again to the second control at Ledbury. Queues at this cafe are usual so with only 15 miles left I got my Brevet card signed and carried on. Again I jinked off route to avoid a small bit of main road before taking to the Hollybush climb. Another rider was ahead and by the top we were able to descend together. We chatted for a short time before he sat up. I was certainly feeling strong and cracked on along this rather boring bit of main road. It wasn't long before I was rolling into the Arrivee to notch up another successful Audax. This was generally a nice route but the last section could have been nicer really. That would have added a few extra miles I suppose and may have made the organiser's task a bit more difficult. No worries. 72 smiles

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Flat on hybrid fixed - this time actually a puncture, by what I could not find, compared to last Saturdays which seemed to be inner tube itself trying to split.
Then decided eventually to head out on the Defy. WIndy, but not as bad as last Sunday so the road that I managed my second slowest time on last week was done 1.1mph faster (still not brilliant). In Hampsthwaite the tree I predicted last week would not be looking like it did for much longer was still like last week. This time turned left and followed last years TdY route as far as the next junction.
Swincliffe Jn.jpg

For once I decided to turn right rather than continuing straight on and taking the next right. That brought me onto a Strava segment known appropriately as Swincliffe Swine. If the gradient profile is correct on Strava it has three steepish sections going beyond 13% and its the varying gradient coupled with a almost constant head or cross that makes it a swine added onto the route away from Hampsthwaite that is already climbing into the wind (and a couple of TdY riders abandoned on it last year). It brings you to Swincliffe Top, a hamlet from which there is only one way - down. (The peak around the 4 mile mark on the gradient profile below). Then climbed in a circuitous manner up to the road along the ridge top (Back Road) actually for once overtaking two other cyclists on road bikes before passing Menwith Hill and turning south then east whereupon I claimed my fastest time (wind assisted it has to be said) along Penny Pot Lane. 15.7miles 998ft climbed with a noisy rear derailleur to be sorted out tomorrow hopefully.
4-11 route.jpg
4-11 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
At 118.6km (72.6 miles) long (after a couple of detours) and with over 1,250 metres of climbing, the Theo Nelson audax from Tewkesbury today was my second longest ride ever. I would also say it was one of the toughest 5 or 6 rides I've ever done, but beautiful and extremely rewarding. Finally had the pleasure of meeting the legendary mile muncher that is our very own @twentysix by twentyfive today, and had a couple of brief chats. Nice to finally meet him, as our patches overlap quite a bit.

Things didn't start well today as we arrived in rain and one of my companions left his Garmin at home, and had to phone his son to deliver it to him en route. The weather soon dried up, though, and we enjoyed great scenery as we passed Flaxley Abbey and climbed into the Forest of Dean. An up and down route took us across the forest via Soudley Woods and Mallards Pike to our first rest stop at a cyclists' café in Parkend. Then cue more climbing until we descended into Lydbrook and turned right towards Joys Green. That was the only bit of the ride that I'd never done before, and it was a belter of a stretch. A couple of hairpins and a 2-3 mile climb up through Joys Green, Drybrook and Ruardean to Mitcheldean was a brilliant, though very tough climb.

After the second long café stop at Ledbury there were some additions to our little peloton of Rich W, @jembullo and me as our numbers were swelled by a couple of Welsh guys on lovely Thorn Audax bikes who we had met previously in the car park at the start, and another guy who was starting to flag a bit. I set a reduced pace of about 12mph to lead everyone home together as a group, and we only just failed to beat the sunset, finishing with our lights on. Don't tell anyone, but by then I couldn't have gone any faster anyway!) Just gritted my teeth and ground my way through the last 10 miles, blocking out the pain and tiredness. I am really going to ache tomorrow, though.

Great company and a great ride today. Some photos, courtesy of @jembullo:
271 The Theo Nelson Audax.jpg 272.jpg 273.jpg 274.jpg 275.jpg 276.jpg
Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
Up this morning at 0800 to be greeted by :rain:so a bit of faffing have breakfast watching Motd and I'm finally out the door at 0930 ensuring my pump was in my jersey pocket :okay: . Plan was for a 100km for the monthly challenge . Had a route plotted to the Leicestershire/ Rutland boarder which means it's going to be a bit rolling . Anstey ,Cropston coming to Rothley saw a work mate with his MTB pulled over for a chat while he waited for his ride companion . Took this opertunity to replace fingerless mitts with full finger glooves as it was chillier :cold: than I thought . Back on the road Cossington ,Syston and out the quiet lanes to the A47 at Billesdon the route then took me down the A47 to grab a couple of veloviewer squares on the way to Tugby . Quick ride down a deadend road for another square . Out to East Norton half mile up the A47 and back for another square and Im back on quiet lanes . Through Loddington to Cold Overton for another square . Whissendine ,Bretby , Melton Mowbray now heading home into a headwind all the way on a rolling road to Gaddesby making it hard work . Rearsby ,Ratcliffe ,Cossington ,Cropston and home 68.3 miles in the bag so metric century challenge upto date :rolleyes:. Really enjoyable ride if a bit chilly and no need for a pump today .4200 feet of climbing so rolling it was

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
At 118.6km (72.6 miles) long (after a couple of detours) and with over 1,250 metres of climbing, the Theo Nelson audax from Tewkesbury today was my second longest ride ever. I would also say it was one of the toughest 5 or 6 rides I've ever done, but beautiful and extremely rewarding. Finally had the pleasure of meeting the legendary mile muncher that is our very own @twentysix by twentyfive today, and had a couple of brief chats. Nice to finally meet him, as our patches overlap quite a bit.

Things didn't start well today as we arrived in rain and one of my companions left his Garmin at home, and had to phone his son to deliver it to him en route. The weather soon dried up, though, and we enjoyed great scenery as we passed Flaxley Abbey and climbed into the Forest of Dean. An up and down route took us across the forest via Soudley Woods and Mallards Pike to our first rest stop at a cyclists' café in Parkend. Then cue more climbing until we descended into Lydbrook and turned right towards Joys Green. That was the only bit of the ride that I'd never done before, and it was a belter of a stretch. A couple of hairpins and a 2-3 mile climb up through Joys Green, Drybrook and Ruardean to Mitcheldean was a brilliant, though very tough climb.

After the second long café stop at Ledbury there were some additions to our little peloton of Rich W, @jembullo and me as our numbers were swelled by a couple of Welsh guys on lovely Thorn Audax bikes who we had met previously in the car park at the start, and another guy who was starting to flag a bit. I set a reduced pace of about 12mph to lead everyone home together as a group, and we only just failed to beat the sunset, finishing with our lights on. Don't tell anyone, but by then I couldn't have gone any faster anyway!) Just gritted my teeth and ground my way through the last 10 miles, blocking out the pain and tiredness. I am really going to ache tomorrow, though.

Great company and a great ride today. Some photos, courtesy of @jembullo:
View attachment 381804 View attachment 381805 View attachment 381806 View attachment 381807 View attachment 381808 View attachment 381809
Cheers, Donger.

Excellent ride @Donger. Well done on this longer than normal for you. I couldn't quite recall the Joy's Green bit until I got there and then recognised it from a previous outing. Superb views over to Wales up there. Hope the recovery is going OK today.

delb0y

Legendary Member
At 118.6km (72.6 miles) long (after a couple of detours) and with over 1,250 metres of climbing, the Theo Nelson audax from Tewkesbury today was my second longest ride ever. I would also say it was one of the toughest 5 or 6 rides I've ever done, .

Nice one, D. I'd hummed and ahh'd about this, but I know from experience that when Mark says a route is "rolling" what he actually means is "brutal." I'd hate to go on one that he describes as hilly. As it happens it was another weekend of chores and no ride at all. I know I'll suffer from this break next time out. Did cycle into town on the old mtb, though, and buy a couple of books from the second hand book shop and have a browse at the bikes in the Gloucester Bike Project.

Cheers
Lazy Del

Mike_P

Guru
Played with the Defys gears and thought solved. Turned out to be a bit premature so now wondering whether to book it into LBS. Anyway 23.9 miles today firstly north through Killinghall where the War Memorial was gaining wreaths for the 11th
Killinghall.jpg

then through Ripley where the northern end of the village is always less populated by visitors. The access off to the left is actually the old road towards Pateley Bridge long closed due to the by-pass. A useful short cut to avoid the roundabout ahead if not heading for the Ripon road (which I was).
Ripley North.jpg

Fringed Nidd and by passed Brearton and onto a most appropriate place given its Nov 5, Scotton with its aptly named pub
scotton 2.jpg

Then through Farnham and down to Staveley
Staveley3.jpg

and onto Arkendale where it was time to head back west. Not pleasant with the wind and the sun being low so that it was flickering through the trees and hedges and the road constantly changing between glare and pitch black. Turned south and headed to Knaresborough. Now I normally turn off the A6055 before it joins the A59 at the usually very congested Bond End Junction and take a meandering route alongside the River Nidd. However today there was obviously no issues with fast moving traffic along the A roads
Kboro tract.jpg

The tractor and trailer did finally outpace me on the climb around the corner! There was another tractor just ahead as well.
I then turned back north to join NCN636 - that's actually marked by the cycle route sign in the photo but the climb away from the Nidd is ridiculously narrow in width so its better to join it further on. Managed to get stuck behind a slow moving Range Rover on the NCN.
5-11 route.jpg

1342 ft climbed (Garmin data as I forget to set Strava recording on my phone and my Garmin uploads absolute rubbish to Strava)
5-11 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was just getting togged up for a road bike spin out this morning when my lad asked if he could come along. Always happy to have him come cycling with me, so a quick change of clothes and bike. A very nice amble to Chertsey where he did a lap of the BMX track. I contemplated it but after nearly falling off riding up the start ramp though better of it:laugh:
Home along the river with a stop for tea at Dad's and home after 14 miles.
We're thinking of riding down to Weymouth next year to see the in laws, with SWMBO and daughter taking the van + dogs. 2 day sriding so we have some practice to do..

Top Bottom