Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not the nicest of weather today, but an unexpected day off work due to someone else picking up the cover shift gave me the opportunity to get my metric half century challenge ride done. You never know how the weather will be later, so I always try and get these in early in the month as we go through Winter. I blame somebody on here for getting me into this Veloviewer squares malarkey, and it was a few missing squares out Cobham way which governed my route, which actually turned out to be quite nice in places. Familiar territory to Weybridge, then a right turn along Seven Hills road (guess how many hill it had...that's right, 5...) before crossing the A3 and into Cobham which was all new to me. Rain started at Ockham, pretty much the furthest point from home, but never really got heavy enough to warrant putting on the coat. A brief pause for a photo, quite liked the signpost?
7 Nov 2017 Ockham.jpg

Wasn't long before I was back in the familiar territory of Ripley and part of the ride London 100 route. Home on 34.5 miles, 30 minutes later it rained really quite hard, so good timing.
Only 2 challenge rides left in 2017, tempted by the Imperial century one next year but having yet to do a ride of such length wonder if a cold January is the time to start....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was car-assisted to Holy Island in Northumberland.

Plan was to stop in the village of Belford and ride to the island, but it was chucking it down on arrival so I drove a bit closer.

That worked OK, it had stopped raining by the time I parked the car.

Tide tables checked, time to get on the causeway.

It's raised by about a metre at this point, which is also where the shelter on stilts is for anyone who gets caught out.

P1000481.JPG

Looking the other way is the island itself and the village of Lindisfarne is in the distance, although you can barely see either.

P1000482.JPG

Lindisfarne is not much more than a few short streets, mostly houses, with a couple of pubs, coffee shops, and tourist-type stuff, not all of which was open today.

P1000483.JPG

It's a good thing I didn't come all this way to see the castle.

P1000484.JPG

Looking the other way is the village and the priory, which is my next destination.

P1000485.JPG

It also appears shut, although even I could clamber over the low wall.

P1000486.JPG

No idea how those cyclists got up there.

P1000487.JPG

I found an open coffee shop and had a welcome hot drink.

It was then time to tackle a bitter head wind to get back to the mainland.

The causeway never really dries out at this time of year, and stretches are under shallow water/a thin layer of mud - could be a bit iffy on roadie slicks.

Fortunately a couple of oncoming drivers slowed for some of the deeper water, rather than give me a soaking.

In the past, I've hung about to watch the tide come in, it's fascinating to see the water submerge the road steadily deeper and for a longer and longer distance.

High tide isn't for a couple of hours, and it's too damp and chilly to hang around today.

On the way back out to the A1 there's now a stretch of gravel track which runs the other side of the hedge from the narrow road.

A bit of reading online suggests there have been a few car/bike 'incidents' on the road, so it's probably wise to use the track.

P1000488.JPG

The signpost is marking NCN 1, part of the Coast and Castles route - Berwick to the right, straight on for Newcastle.

Only a couple more miles for me to get back to the car.

About 20 for the day, and while it's not really the weather for riding the Northumberland coast I did have the place mostly to myself.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Late posting my ride, as per usual...

Still, her we go. Finished w*rk at a relatively early 23:00 on Saturday evening, and popped out for a pre-planned (and with the CX pre-fettled) ride to see the full moon across Pitsford Reservoir. Lights had been fully charged and, with temps of 4C, dry and clear skies promised, it started to drizzle a bit... So it goes..
After a mile or so, I was on a pitch dark farm track that I use often to avoid a country lane rat run, made busier by the closure of the nearby A43, when my front light began to flicker, then go out! Gloves off, casing unscrewed, blown down and a good shake of the battery tube, a bright light was resumed. Fortunate really, as I didn't want to abandon my ride within a few miles even though I knew the route.

IMG_4040.JPG

Across the top dam wall at Pitsford Res, with the anti-parking post reflecting the road.

IMG_4041.JPG

A random tree.

IMG_4047.JPG

Half way round the res, still pitch dark, just before I saw the reflections of an approaching vehicle.. I kept to one side as they passed and wonder why the two occupants would be heading to a secluded parking spot at such an ungodly hour!! :whistle:

IMG_4044.JPG

Tricky to get a Full Moon pic on a mobile, but here it is... So bright, and beautiful to see.

IMG_4056.JPG

As the cafe's were closed, I headed back home, feeling peckish, for a snack and a Becks before bed, on about 16 miles. Chilly toes, but the rest of me was warm..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1261540739

:smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@User9609 It’s a Fluxient U2 Mini. I got it from Torchy the Battery Boy for about £42.
Full beam lasts 3-4 hours, 6 hours on reduced. Rated @ 1100 lumen.

pawl

Legendary Member
Late posting my ride, as per usual...

Still, her we go. Finished w*rk at a relatively early 23:00 on Saturday evening, and popped out for a pre-planned (and with the CX pre-fettled) ride to see the full moon across Pitsford Reservoir. Lights had been fully charged and, with temps of 4C, dry and clear skies promised, it started to drizzle a bit... So it goes..
After a mile or so, I was on a pitch dark farm track that I use often to avoid a country lane rat run, made busier by the closure of the nearby A43, when my front light began to flicker, then go out! Gloves off, casing unscrewed, blown down and a good shake of the battery tube, a bright light was resumed. Fortunate really, as I didn't want to abandon my ride within a few miles even though I knew the route.

View attachment 382239

Across the top dam wall at Pitsford Res, with the anti-parking post reflecting the road.

View attachment 382240

A random tree.

View attachment 382241

Half way round the res, still pitch dark, just before I saw the reflections of an approaching vehicle.. I kept to one side as they passed and wonder why the two occupants would be heading to a secluded parking spot at such an ungodly hour!! :whistle:

View attachment 382242

Tricky to get a Full Moon pic on a mobile, but here it is... So bright, and beautiful to see.

View attachment 382243

As the cafe's were closed, I headed back home, feeling peckish, for a snack and a Becks before bed, on about 16 miles. Chilly toes, but the rest of me was warm..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1261540739

:smile:

Flipping heck if that’s a snack what’s your main meal like.Photo appreciated.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wall to wall sunshine today but a bit chilly. I hadn't quite got my winter kit sorted but I fudged it. Cold fingers to start with but they soon warmed up. Pete M, Jules H and Margaret PR were in Upton so I joined them on time. M had to meet her hubby so she rode with us through the school before we three headed off for Tewkesbury while she headed for the Hams. It was here I met Bill D who I haven't seen for quite some time. He was still in waking up mode so we didn't exchange much chat.

We took to the lovely run into Kemerton before looping by Beckford to Dumbleton. Our curiosity got the better of us so after a chat with a lovely dog walking lady we rode up the drive way to view Dumbleton Hall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbleton#Dumbleton_Hall Not long now as we rounded by Wormington and on into Broadway for our favourite cafe.

Much chat, tea and coffee later we took to the standard run back by Childswickham and the Combertons. Eckington came and went and soon we were saying our goodbyes to Jules. Pete and I parted in Upton and I took my usual run back. The temperature was dropping as the sun was setting. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere were forming a partial halo/rainbow. Lovely end to the ride. 63 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Managed to cram in a 27 miler while Mrs Donger was out with the ladies who lunch. Along the Severn to Arlingham. Passed Darren from our club riding in the opposite direction through Epney. After Arlingham, I headed for the far end of the green at Frampton on Severn before sprinting for home to get the car out and pick up the missus from town. On the way through Frampton I rang my bell to move a black and white cat that was sitting plum in the middle of the main street. Turned around at the end of the road and headed back through Frampton - where the same black and white cat was sat exactly where he had been five minutes earlier, so I rang my bell again. At Longney, I passed Tina from our club riding in the opposite direction. Groundhog day! Seems we were all out today, making the most of the bright sunshine and chilly but still weather. Enjoyed the weather, and the odd symmetry of that ride.
Cheers, Donger.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A beautiful sunny day, here on Tyneside, for our 19 mile coastal circuit. It was even warm enough to sit outside the Cafe at Whitburn, eating our Bacon Sandwiches !

Mrs BoldonLad is becoming too good at this, I shall have to make her carry the spare innertubes, etc, to slow her down.

My ride today was car-assisted to Holy Island in Northumberland.

Plan was to stop in the village of Belford and ride to the island, but it was chucking it down on arrival so I drove a bit closer.

That worked OK, it had stopped raining by the time I parked the car.

Tide tables checked, time to get on the causeway.

It's raised by about a metre at this point, which is also where the shelter on stilts is for anyone who gets caught out.

View attachment 382187

Looking the other way is the island itself and the village of Lindisfarne is in the distance, although you can barely see either.

View attachment 382188
Lindisfarne is not much more than a few short streets, mostly houses, with a couple of pubs, coffee shops, and tourist-type stuff, not all of which was open today.

View attachment 382189
It's a good thing I didn't come all this way to see the castle.

View attachment 382190

Looking the other way is the village and the priory, which is my next destination.

View attachment 382191

It also appears shut, although even I could clamber over the low wall.

View attachment 382192

No idea how those cyclists got up there.

View attachment 382194

I found an open coffee shop and had a welcome hot drink.

It was then time to tackle a bitter head wind to get back to the mainland.

The causeway never really dries out at this time of year, and stretches are under shallow water/a thin layer of mud - could be a bit iffy on roadie slicks.

Fortunately a couple of oncoming drivers slowed for some of the deeper water, rather than give me a soaking.

In the past, I've hung about to watch the tide come in, it's fascinating to see the water submerge the road steadily deeper and for a longer and longer distance.

High tide isn't for a couple of hours, and it's too damp and chilly to hang around today.

On the way back out to the A1 there's now a stretch of gravel track which runs the other side of the hedge from the narrow road.

A bit of reading online suggests there have been a few car/bike 'incidents' on the road, so it's probably wise to use the track.

View attachment 382195

The signpost is marking NCN 1, part of the Coast and Castles route - Berwick to the right, straight on for Newcastle.

Only a couple more miles for me to get back to the car.

About 20 for the day, and while it's not really the weather for riding the Northumberland coast I did have the place mostly to myself.

Great photos and ride report, Rob.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's been nice out so a good day to head for the hills. Rain yesterday and a frost overnight meant muddy and salted roads though so this was a job for the knockabout bike and full winter layers for the first time this season. I waited for the ice to clear (not wanting to use spiked tyres) then set out.

I started by going over Lyth Hill and up the rough track to the top (which wasn't too bad as the drains were cleared earlier this year) then descended to Exfords Green and headed for Pontesbury and Minsterley where there was a lorry stuck at roadworks in the town because the driver had gone the wrong side of the coned off section. I would have grabbed a photo but my light went green before I could get the camera out so I left them to it.

As always, the serious climbing starts the moment you leave the A488 at Plox Green and head for Snailbeach. I didn't stop at the lead mines this time but carried on up the valley through Stiperstones village. Another cyclist caught me just before Tankerville but I was stopping for a photo anyway so I didn't see him again.

I thought I'd stop at The Bog visitor centre/cafe but everything seemed to be locked up today despite the "open" sign being out so I carried on up to the carpark for The Stiperstones and had my lunch there with a view. From here I could see that there were quite a few paragliders soaring along the edge of the Long Mynd. I counted 13 of them.

Moving on again I dropped down into the Onny Valley and headed for Wentnor, then across the Prolley Moor to Asterton to tackle the infamous Asterton Bank. Having done this before I knew what to expect and took the opportunity to take off the two fleeces I was wearing before I started. The cattle grid was challenging with wet tyres and then you are into the very steep left hander and the relentless drag up to the gliding club. I'd like to say I did it in one and today I feel I could have done, but there was traffic to contend with and I needed to stop four times to let cars past (this is a very narrow road and wide modern cars completely fill the width of the tarmac). At the top I met a couple of guys I'd also seen at The Stiperstones who complimented me on having made good time.^_^

Having seen all the paragliders earlier I'd hoped they'd still be flying around which would have made for a great spectacle and some good photos. Unfortunately though the wind had dropped in the intervening time and they were all sitting it out until it picked up again so after putting my fleeces back on I continued to Pole Bank.

Just a short pause here then I pressed on along the path to Shooting Box and back onto tarmac towards The Burway and my descent into the Stretton Valley.

I'd taken longer than intended this time and hadn't brought a front light so needed to press on from here. The rest was fairly uneventful apart from an ill-judged overtake from a white van on the approach to the A49 junction. Judging by his take off from the line with wheels spinning he may have heard my "Well, that wasn't very bright" comment.:giggle:

40.6 miles for the day at 11.6 mph average. Happy with that for a very hilly ride.

DSC0005394.jpg

At the top of Lyth Hill looking at where I'm headed later on.

DSC0005396.jpg

On the way up to The Stiperstones. This is Crowsnest.

DSC0005398.jpg

Near Tankerville and looking back down the valley I've just climbed.

DSC0005405.jpg

Descending off the Stiperstones and looking towards the Long Mynd, where I'm headed next.

DSC0005407.jpg

At Wentnor.

DSC0005410.jpg

The foot of Asterton Bank.

DSC0005414.jpg

Baulked by traffic again so here is the view from about halfway up the climb.

DSC0005415.jpg

At the summit............. of this climb anyway. More to go before I get to Pole Bank.

DSC0005425.jpg

Descending The Burway to Church Stretton.

DSC0005427.jpg

Down in the valley now. Caer Caradoc tends to look good in the late afternoon sunshine.

Last edited:
Was day-off on Monday, but only a short ride, through Pontefract (to finally drop my cycling Club subs in, at the Membership secretaries home), then into Darrington
Leaving the village past Monasseh (the ex-home of the disgraced architect John Poulson)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/232113

Heading south to Wentbridge (entering via the 'north cutting' - the 1830s - 1970s section of the Great North Road), & back via East Hardwick, Ackworth, Purston & Featherstone

Split days-off this week, also off on Sunday, so see what that brings?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out again on the knockabout bike this morning for a variation of my Melverley loop. It's a bit windier and cloudier than yesterday but warmer so I didn't have to wait before getting out. I headed for Condover initially to add a bit of mileage and passed a Bikeability session going on at the school, then turned for Exfords Green and Lea Cross where I got held up by a rather elderly driver who had backed out of his drive then stopped blocking the road while his passenger slowly put her seat belt on.

Next I climbed up to Edge and took a left here to go along the lanes to Asterley then Westbury rather than dropping down to the main road. I caught and overtook a couple of cyclists on this section - they seemed to be very wary of the mud covered surface.

More climbing followed before I finally dropped down to Westbury where I startled a young chap who was clearly expecting to swing out from a side road without needing to slow down. Those brakes work then.;)

After Halfway House I took another alternative route to Wollaston and then up the long climb to Bulthy and down a fast descent to Crew Green. A chap in a Genus van politely pulled in to let me past while on the climb which was a nice surprise.

I'd been riding against a headwind most of the way so far, but at Melverley it was now behind me and helping. Between Pentre and Great Ness there is a nasty little climb that steepens near the top but looks deceptively easy. Having ridden it many times now I just drop into lowish gear and save the legs. Today I was overtaken by a group of riders pushing on hard from the foot of the climb and sure enough as they got near the top they ran out of puff and at my slow steady pace I caught them again just before the summit (feels smug^_^). I kept up with the group for the next couple of miles (but hanging back at a respectful distance) until they turned off in the direction of Yeaton.

I hadn't realised but the wind had swung round to still be helping me along as I turned south, hence being able to easily keep up a good pace. The hill at Bicton was despatched with relative ease (shame about a couple of impolite passes though) then at Shelton I decided to change the route again and head into the town centre and through The Quarry. Into town from here it's mostly downhill so I kept up some good speed down past The Mount (where Charles Darwin was born), through Frankwell and over Welsh Bridge.

After mixing it with the traffic it was nice to ride traffic-free through the park as far as Greyfriars Bridge where I crossed over to Coleham and headed out of town again through Belle Vue.

Although it wasn't forecast, there were some dark clouds sweeping in from the north west and I was lucky enough to get back just before the rain arrived.

37.3 miles today at 13.3 mph average. Fairly good but the legs ache now.

DSC0005429.jpg

The view from Edge, looking towards Pontesbury and the Stiperstones.

DSC0005430.jpg

En route to Asterley.

DSC0005431.jpg

Old windmill between Asterley and Westbury.

DSC0005433.jpg

Near the highest point of the ride today and about to descend to Crew Green.

DSC0005434.jpg

A good bit of autumn colour at Wilcott.

DSC0005435.jpg

Porthill Bridge and The Boathouse.

DSC0005436.jpg

The William Clement memorial near Greyfriars Bridge.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You've been banging the rides in recently, Phil.

Any sign of a new day job?

Assuming you want one, of course.
Not at the moment. There was one in the pipeline but I think that has fallen through (and I'm not sorry about it - it wasn't something I was enthusiastic about).

Fortunately I'm in a position where I don't need to rush into something urgently.

Top Bottom