Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was a 50 mile loop in North Yorkshire in the excellent company of @EasyPeez, @Julia9054, her partner Al, and my mate Steve.

Al sorted a route from Easingwold, south west towards Boroughbridge, then up to Thirsk and back to Easingwold via Coxwold.

We were blessed with dry, sunny weather and not a lot of wind.

The first 30 miles or so is relatively flat, and we took advantage by rattling along at a good pace.

Al had sorted an elevenses stop outside Boroughbridge where we scoffed some tasty brunch sandwiches.

By now heading north, we copped a bit of a headwind, and our ever attentive ride leader did some route realignment to ease the last few miles into Thirsk.

Another hospitable stop - we were given a key to a gated alleyway for secure bike parking.

Time for some climbing on our way to the likes of Upsall and Felixkirk, and we came dangerously near to Boltby ruddy Bank, but thankfully didn't have to go up it.

The sun was setting as Coxwold hoved into view, and we elected to stay on the bigger road to Easingwold, rather than take the signposted NCN minor road, which is narrow, gravelly, and probably best not taken in impending darkness.

A long, draggy climb out of Coxwold, past one side of the Castle Howard estate.

Our average speed dropped with the climbing to under 14mph, but that's still going some, and there were some tired legs as we rolled into Easingwold at about 4.30pm.

That part of Yorkshire is marvellous cycling country, as picturesque as you could wish for, not strangled with motor traffic, and not too much climbing if you pick your route carefully.

Add the company I had today, and it doesn't get much better.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 20.42.095 Nov 2017.png

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
My ride today was a 50 mile loop in North Yorkshire in the excellent company of @EasyPeez, @Julia9054, her partner Al, and my mate Steve.

Al sorted a route from Easingwold, south west towards Boroughbridge, then up to Thirsk and back to Easingwold via Coxwold.

The first 30 miles or so is relatively flat, and we took advantage by rattling along at a good pace.

Al had sorted an elevenses stop outside Boroughbridge where we scoffed some tasty brunch sandwiches.

By now heading north, we copped a bit of a headwind, and our ever attentive ride leader did some route realignment to ease the last few miles into Thirsk.

Another hospitable stop - we were given a key to a gated alleyway for secure bike parking.

Time for some climbing on our way to the likes of Upsall and Felixkirk, and we came dangerously near to Boltby ruddy Bank, but thankfully didn't have to go up it.

The sun was setting as Coxwold hoved into view, and we elected to stay on the bigger road to Easingwold, rather than take the signposted NCN minor road, which is narrow, gravelly, and probably best not taken in impending darkness.

Our average speed dropped with the climbing to under 14mph, but that's still going some, and there were some tired legs as we rolled into Easingwold at about 4.30pm.

That part of Yorkshire is marvellous cycling country, as picturesque as you could wish for, not strangled with motor traffic, and not too much climbing if you pick your route carefully.

View attachment 381976
Another great fun ride. Might have cried off cycling today due to partying in Manchester with the kids this weekend, going down with a cold and the fact that it was freezing but really glad I didn't. A good mix of flat and hilly, great company and a scone the size of my head!
Thanks to @Almartino for his excellent route planning skills. (he is currently fast asleep on the sofa!)

Katherine

Guru
A really lovely club ride out to Jodrell Bank today, though only 2 of us on the B ride, and well done to my riding companian S for grabbing the last table in the warmth. I was just taking a quick photo of the telescope from the carpark when the Rapha Club arrived so it was a sprint to the cafe which was already full of South Manchester and Frodsham Clubs. Good service from the cafe though. It is a really lovely route. Lovely views, stunning colours against the blue sky, cold wind on the way home though. Wonderful time of year to go through Tatton Park with lots of stags to admire close to the road. I also enjoyed introducing S to my favourite 'Cheshire Owls' coming back through Mobberly. 'Proper filthy' Cheshire lanes and we lost count how many large floods had to be swum through. I think I have spent as long cleaning and polishing my bike as we spent on the ride.

Jod B 5.jpg

To give an idea of scale - the orange specks near the top are workmen!

Jod B 6.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7 miles today on the Specialized Hardrock, only encounter of cyclist was the fellow who rides an old Schwinn Criss Cross, as the weather was turning quite colder and it was coming on dark. The Hardrock performed well, it was given to me rather than throwing it in a dumpster, as the owner had grown tired of it gathering dust. It gets and holds speed well.
52F
Winds NW17
Relative humidity 97%
29.75 barometer, 1010.0mb
Fog/mist

View attachment 381976

You forgot to mention the bit where the group of roadies went past us and you decided to hop on the back and mix it with them for a couple of miles and then leave them in your wake up that short climb...

Thanks to @Almartino for his excellent route planning skills

Pass on my thanks too; I hope his knee's not too sore today.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Too much sunshine to pass up - so went for as ride after attending to some brain-numbing business and bagged another 50km point for the year. I saw some kind of raptor out near Helmingham that kept pace with me for a couple of minutes, but my ornithological recognition skills are only just better than naff - so I cannot tell you what kind it was.

(I also had a quick cycle to my part-time workplace and back, which only served to add to the number of idiots who had a good go at knocking me off today. Four in total - a new record for me.)

Anyway, a pic near Coddenham.

1.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short one on the Raleigh today to stretch the legs. I went out on a variation of my Acton Burnell loop where I extended it to take in Cound Moor, Harnage and Cound as well.

The roads were gritted last night which is usually the point when I think about putting the Raleigh away for the winter, however I was planning to clean it when I got back anyway so it's had one more run out at least.

I got let out onto the main road by a nice chap in a BMW (it does happen) then got stuck at temporary traffic lights straight afterwards (there have been lights on the A49 on and off most of the year and yet another new set of works starts next week :rolleyes:)

Despite a headwind I got on at quite a good pace through Condover, Ryton and on to Longnor. I've been tinkering with the setup on this bike lately and was pleased with it on my century ride the other day but it didn't feel so good when trying to push on a bit faster this time, so I've tweaked the saddle by another couple of mm which made it feel really lively for the rest of the trip but time will tell if I've got it right now.

I didn't want to go through the roadworks again on the way back so opted to take the climb over Lyth Hill instead, then the long way round the village to round up the mileage.

23.8 miles at 15.4 mph average.

Sorry, no photos this time.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
On a night shift last night, so after 3 hours kip I wasn't in the mood for a proper ride, so nothing exciting about my ride today. Utility cycling to the 2 high streets to pay a cheque in and then buy spuds and milk, which meant a heavy bike for the last 1.5 miles. Just over 6 miles in wonderful sunshine

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You forgot to mention the bit where the group of roadies went past us and you decided to hop on the back and mix it with them for a couple of miles and then leave them in your wake up that short climb...

Passing wasn't the original intention, but unlike you, a few of them went into reverse when the climbing started.

Some roadies get very sniffy at the sight of an ebike, let alone being passed by one.

A couple in that group spoke so didn't appear to take against my presence, probably because they could see I was pedalling fairly hard to keep up with them.

The lass even shouted an approaching car to me, before she breezed past.

gavgav

Guru
Just a short one on the Raleigh today to stretch the legs. I went out on a variation of my Acton Burnell loop where I extended it to take in Cound Moor, Harnage and Cound as well.

The roads were gritted last night which is usually the point when I think about putting the Raleigh away for the winter, however I was planning to clean it when I got back anyway so it's had one more run out at least.

I got let out onto the main road by a nice chap in a BMW (it does happen) then got stuck at temporary traffic lights straight afterwards (there have been lights on the A49 on and off most of the year and yet another new set of works starts next week :rolleyes:)

Despite a headwind I got on at quite a good pace through Condover, Ryton and on to Longnor. I've been tinkering with the setup on this bike lately and was pleased with it on my century ride the other day but it didn't feel so good when trying to push on a bit faster this time, so I've tweaked the saddle by another couple of mm which made it feel really lively for the rest of the trip but time will tell if I've got it right now.

I didn't want to go through the roadworks again on the way back so opted to take the climb over Lyth Hill instead, then the long way round the village to round up the mileage.

23.8 miles at 15.4 mph average.

Sorry, no photos this time.
I think your new nickname should be “Tweakerman” :whistle::okay:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A day off work and what a day- clear blue skies here all day.

IMG_2446.JPG

The road from Snailwell (Suffolk) to Chippenham (Cambs) Chippenham Fen nature reserve was the destination.

IMG_2448.JPG

Stunning it was today too. Water buffalo in the distance.

IMG_2449.JPG

On through the woods. A bike hidden in there somewhere.

IMG_2451.JPG

Walked the bike along this public footpath honest :whistle:.

IMG_2456.JPG

Then on through Fordham and the edge of Soham, and braved an A road to Wicken (above), (very rare for me- I barely even touch B roads as a rule given the volcanic temperament of your average British driver) . The road was horrible - big sigh of relief to get off it.

IMG_2458.JPG

It does look all wrong the one pannier thing, but I don't notice it and it holds my tea, binoculars, tool kit etc nicely.

IMG_2459.JPG

A slight delay on Burwell Fen. The calf was a bit close to the cattle grid for my liking, and I didn't want to get between her and her mum, so a bit of a wait until she moved on.

25 lovely slow sunny miles in about 4 hours. Another day to feel genuinely sorry for anyone without a bicycle.

Top Bottom