Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeShot

Veteran
A really lovely club ride out to Jodrell Bank today, though only 2 of us on the B ride, and well done to my riding companian S for grabbing the last table in the warmth. I was just taking a quick photo of the telescope from the carpark when the Rapha Club arrived so it was a sprint to the cafe which was already full of South Manchester and Frodsham Clubs. Good service from the cafe though. It is a really lovely route. Lovely views, stunning colours against the blue sky, cold wind on the way home though. Wonderful time of year to go through Tatton Park with lots of stags to admire close to the road. I also enjoyed introducing S to my favourite 'Cheshire Owls' coming back through Mobberly. 'Proper filthy' Cheshire lanes and we lost count how many large floods had to be swum through. I think I have spent as long cleaning and polishing my bike as we spent on the ride.

View attachment 381988

To give an idea of scale - the orange specks near the top are workmen!

View attachment 381991
Gosh, it's a small world !!

I was leading the South Manchester club ride. 20 turned up at the start in Cheadle so we split into 2 groups, must be the draw of the lovely cafe at Jodrell Bank!!
We rode over to Gawsworth for lunch and we're back in Costa, Cheadle by 3.45.
Got to keep the energy levels topped up!!

Katherine

Guru
Gosh, it's a small world !!

I was leading the South Manchester club ride. 20 turned up at the start in Cheadle so we split into 2 groups, must be the draw of the lovely cafe at Jodrell Bank!!
We rode over to Gawsworth for lunch and we're back in Costa, Cheadle by 3.45.
Got to keep the energy levels topped up!!

If only we'd realised! I'll look out for you next time! The Salford club kit is quite distinctive with its red and blue with gold text.

pjd57

Veteran
temporary_file929504575.jpg
i was only supposed to be going to the Celtic ticket office for a cup final ticket , but just before I left my Mrs very kindly asked me to pick something up for her in Drumchapel. Opposite end of the city but I was delighted.
A sunny but breezy 24 miles.
IMG_20171109_104534143_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Back to the commute today, chilly start so dressed to suit, which did of course mean being borderline too hot on the way home. Only 29 miles to go to hit the 2017 target of 6000 miles, so hope to stretch a bit to the next nice number which will be 6214 miles, or 10,000km.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Out again on the knockabout bike this morning for a variation of my Melverley loop. It's a bit windier and cloudier than yesterday but warmer so I didn't have to wait before getting out. I headed for Condover initially to add a bit of mileage and passed a Bikeability session going on at the school, then turned for Exfords Green and Lea Cross where I got held up by a rather elderly driver who had backed out of his drive then stopped blocking the road while his passenger slowly put her seat belt on.

Next I climbed up to Edge and took a left here to go along the lanes to Asterley then Westbury rather than dropping down to the main road. I caught and overtook a couple of cyclists on this section - they seemed to be very wary of the mud covered surface.

More climbing followed before I finally dropped down to Westbury where I startled a young chap who was clearly expecting to swing out from a side road without needing to slow down. Those brakes work then.;)

After Halfway House I took another alternative route to Wollaston and then up the long climb to Bulthy and down a fast descent to Crew Green. A chap in a Genus van politely pulled in to let me past while on the climb which was a nice surprise.

I'd been riding against a headwind most of the way so far, but at Melverley it was now behind me and helping. Between Pentre and Great Ness there is a nasty little climb that steepens near the top but looks deceptively easy. Having ridden it many times now I just drop into lowish gear and save the legs. Today I was overtaken by a group of riders pushing on hard from the foot of the climb and sure enough as they got near the top they ran out of puff and at my slow steady pace I caught them again just before the summit (feels smug^_^). I kept up with the group for the next couple of miles (but hanging back at a respectful distance) until they turned off in the direction of Yeaton.

I hadn't realised but the wind had swung round to still be helping me along as I turned south, hence being able to easily keep up a good pace. The hill at Bicton was despatched with relative ease (shame about a couple of impolite passes though) then at Shelton I decided to change the route again and head into the town centre and through The Quarry. Into town from here it's mostly downhill so I kept up some good speed down past The Mount (where Charles Darwin was born), through Frankwell and over Welsh Bridge.

After mixing it with the traffic it was nice to ride traffic-free through the park as far as Greyfriars Bridge where I crossed over to Coleham and headed out of town again through Belle Vue.

Although it wasn't forecast, there were some dark clouds sweeping in from the north west and I was lucky enough to get back just before the rain arrived.

37.3 miles today at 13.3 mph average. Fairly good but the legs ache now.

View attachment 382410
The view from Edge, looking towards Pontesbury and the Stiperstones.

View attachment 382411
En route to Asterley.

View attachment 382412
Old windmill between Asterley and Westbury.

View attachment 382413
Near the highest point of the ride today and about to descend to Crew Green.

View attachment 382414
A good bit of autumn colour at Wilcott.

View attachment 382415
Porthill Bridge and The Boathouse.

View attachment 382416
The William Clement memorial near Greyfriars Bridge.

You're making me feel homesick, my parents' house was not far from Porthill Bridge.

Not today, but Sunday.

I've been off the bike (and also here) for anything more meaningful than the odd bimble or errand run since April/May due to various issues and a couple of niggling injuries, the most problematic of which is a soleus tear that doesn't seem to want to go away.

Anyway, on Sunday, I decided an hour and a half before sunset that it was too nice a November day to waste, leg be damned, and so off I went, with the thought of making it to the coast and getting the train back.

A mere 2 miles into the ride my leg started making its presence felt but I was determined to make the most of the light, and once I was decently warmed up and cleared Paisley I had a blast riding along the NCN7 cycle path from Elderslie to Castle Semple Loch
DN4YyyEXkAEa1Sl.jpg

I paused for a moment, considered turning back, but inevitably, ambition far outstripped ability, and the sun went down just as I approached the first climb on the hilly road between Glengarnock and Kilwinning, the same road where I had my silly tumble in my ton qualifier all the way back in January.

A little way up the climb my leg said "NO" in terms that brooked no disagreement, so I turned round and rode home in the dark along the cycle path, with thrash metal blaring on my phone to keep my spirit and pace up - all so that I could get home before my leg cottoned on to what I was doing, my lights ran out of power, or the fireworks started in earnest.

A fun ride, all in just shy of 40 miles, but one which reminded me what quiet joy cycling can bring, even if I'm still paying for it several days later!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well it rained a bit whilst I did the weekly shop in the van at 7:30 this morning, but after putting it all away the skies went blue so I headed out on a a quick loop to Eton. Turns out it was really quite breezy too, and the rain started when I got to Datchet just to make things even better:rolleyes: The short distance from Datchet to Eton was a slog into the wind, and I took a new turning as I went through Windsor, coming across this (which was kind of appropriate given the wind..)
10 Nov 2017 Hurricane.jpg

Back past the leisure centre, Windsor Castle and home.
21.1 windy and damp miles.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Always good to have a reason to ride and I had two today.

Get a photo for the autumn photo challenge, and get a haircut.

I have a few places in mind in the general direction of Washington, where I also know of a barber.

The first pic is on the track through South Hylton in Sunderland.

Suitably autumnal, but it lacks the colours I was hoping for.

P1000491.JPG

This next pic is a bit more like it.

The woodland has that unique feel so even with your eyes closed you would know you were surrounded by trees.

P1000492.JPG

I'm still hoping for more in the way of reddish autumnal colours.

This bit always looks good from the car at this time of year, not quite so good with my modest photographic abilities.

P1000493.JPG

Might be a bit better further on, but as well as the photographic challenge, I have to bear in mind the standing challenge of getting home in one piece.

Not a road to ride on by choice.

P1000494.JPG

I'm running out of autumn ideas now, so time to head to the barber.

This involves a bit of minor route finding to the Harraton district of Washington.

The barber is in what looks like a former garage, next to what is a former pub, now an Italian bar/restaurant.

P1000495.JPG

The barber is shut for lunch, so time for a coffee, and time to do what this middle-aged male cyclist needs to do more often in the chilly weather.

Nice and warm inside the bar/restaurant, but I dare not sit in because the bike is only tethered to the plastic chair outside the barber.

Decent cup of coffee, and a little biscuit which was hard and dry - both matters cured by dunking it.

P1000496.JPG

The lass in the barber returned from her lunch, complained about the bike parked outside her shop, but withdrew the complaint when I told her I was her next customer.

Time on the way back for a last attempt at an autumn pic.

This one is on the C2C track near the Washington Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre.

P1000497.JPG

Probably the best of the lot, and the one I shall enter in the challenge.

Just under 20 miles, a headwind on the way out made it feel colder than it was.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another lovely autumnal day today albeit with a chilly wind slowing progress at times. Time was short today so I grabbed a ride round the standard Ashleworth and Woolridge loop. The bridge repairs at Cobb's Cross are almost complete now. Bit of tidying and resurfacing and it'll be open to traffic again. I've enjoyed traffic free rides down from Camer's Green to Redmarley for many many weeks. It will be much easier to wave at Hazel R on the M50 now. :hello:

I noticed, not for the first time this season, that the winter thrushes have arrived. Flocks of Redwing have been about for about a week now and Fieldfares are making themselves noticeable now. A sure sign that winter has moved in further north. I've now broken out most of my winter kit as the temperatures have dropped a bit. I still need to fit my winter pedals so I can don my warm bootees. It won't be long now. 44 smiles today

Top Bottom