Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Gentle 25, just to keep the legs turning. Was paying attention to hand positions and gearing as I ponder on another bike About 50 / 50 between on the flat of the bars and the hoods, with 0% on the drops. 99.9 % on middle ring, with just a few meters on the granny ring when going up Wainlodes hill. 0% on big ring. What does all this mean? Not sure yet, but I'm thinking of trying a flat bar bike with bar ends, and lower gearing for the hills.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Seeing as how the weather forecast for this morning was for sun, I gave up on yesterday's planned ride and went to the pub. The fact that I also enjoyed some wine in the evening probably explains why I didn't get the miles in, as intended, this morning. (That, and the strength of the wind!)
A relatively lazy 18 miles.

This at Thurleston Lane:-

1.JPG

And this at Bramford (as I may have mentioned before about this place, over fifty years ago I paddling here and seeking out sticklebacks. ^_^):-

5.JPG

And, what do you know - it's now beer o'clock! I'm off for a Sunday pint. Life is good. :cheers:

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday ride today . It was Imperial century challenge time , @tallliman had planned another Leicester to Lincoln veloviewer square grabbing ride . Unfortunately @tallliman had been off the bike for 9 days due to injury and wasn't sure hed make the ton so had a get out of Grantham station so mine and @Supersuperleeds job was to drag him to Lincoln . Out the door at 0645 in a bit of drizzle to do a few miles before the start . Newtown Linford up Sharpley hill and over to Loughborough and on to meeting point at Cossington just as I turn into Cossington @Supersuperleeds appears out of the cycle track and onto the meeting point where we both start fettling bikes me my saddle and @Supersuperleeds his GPS mount soon @tallliman here and were off up the Wreake valley to Melton Mowbray . Straight through Melton and out to Freeby for the first dead end road for a veloviewer square back into the route .Quick blast on the A607 to Waltham on the wolds then back onto some lovely lanes to Grantham and abit more traffic . Slight navigation disagreement found 1 of us trying to turn right at a no right turn and 1 us saying go right before it :wacko:found us riding 50 yards up a 1 way street the wrong way :whistle: at this point we realised I had the original route and @Supersuperleeds had the revised version hence the confusion and @tallliman who's route it was hadn't turned the route on his gps . On to Belton and the cleverest bit of veloviewer square planning saw us grab a square as we turned into the cafe :rolleyes: a farm shop . Lovely bacon ,Sausage and Beans on toast were consumed with relish :mrpig:. Bit more on the A607 before turned onto some lovely lanes to Hough on the hill and Caythorpe where at the top of a hill ( yes they do exist in Lincolnshire) we were greeted with a stunning view you could see for miles . Quick lovely descent and then a quick detour up a farm track via a locked barrier :secret: to grab a square .On to Witham St Hughes where we were passed by castelli man so I engaged in abit of silly racing just sat behind him about 50 yards behind keeping pace quite easily and could see him shoulder check and could tell he was putting in some effort . Turning into a headwind and slight incline and I caught him easily and rode alongside . I started chatting but the poor guy was slightly out of breath :sweat: and struggling to talk . I asked him how far hed been just a quick 15 miles he was quite surprised when he asked me and I replied 70 miles from Leicester :becool:. He soon turned right and the 3 of us regrouped . The next obstacle in are path was coming into to view known locally as the cliff a long ridge we have to climb to get the other side .Harmiston hill was our route today bit of a shock to see the 14% road sign at the bottom ( told you Lincolnshire wasn't flat ) . I really enjoyed the climb couple of s bends to break the gradient @Supersuperleeds didn't enjoy as much :laugh: but he's not a hill avoider anymore @tallliman spun his way up in bottom gear but got up it :notworthy: .At the top we enjoyed a chocolate break :mrpig: as KitKat's and double deckers were devoured .At this point we were 5 miles from Lincoln with 30 miles still to go . @tallliman 2nd get out of turning for Lincoln and finding a pub and waiting was ignored as he decided to press on in the knowledge that all the climbing was done and 30 flat miles and a cafe stop at 20 were ahead . Onto the flatlands a couple of detours and navigation confusion due to different GPS routes saw us at the railway hertiage centre at Bardney cafe . To late for chips :cry:as they stopped serving at 1400 . Another bacon cob for @Supersuperleeds and a lovely Danish pastry for me and @tallliman . That left us 9 miles on the old railway track and 50 mins to make the 1630 train . So a fairly brisk blast too the station and straight onto the waiting train .Just shy of 120 miles for me in a tad over 8hrs ,127 for @Supersuperleeds ,108 for @tallliman . Another great ride in great company and apart from Melton and Grantham some lovely quiet roads all in all a great day on the bike . Well done on @tallliman for getting round :notworthy:.

Last edited:
Yesterday ride today . It was Imperial century challenge time , @tallliman had planned another Leicester to Lincoln veloviewer square grabbing ride . Unfortunately @tallliman had been off the bike for 9 days due to injury and wasn't sure he make he ton so had a get out of Grantham station so mine and @Supersuperleeds job was to drag him to Lincoln . Out the door at 0645 in a bit of drizzle to do a few miles before the start . Newtown Linford up Sharpley hill and over to Loughborough and on to meeting point at Cossington just as I turn into Cossington @Supersuperleeds appears out of the cycle track and onto the meeting point where we both start fettling bikes me my saddle and @Supersuperleeds his GPS mount soon @tallliman here and were off up the Wreake valley to Melton Mowbray . Straight through Melton and out to Freeby for the first dead end road for a veloviewer square back into the route .Quick blast on the A607 to Waltham on the wolds then back onto some lovely lanes to Grantham and abit more traffic . Slight navigation disagreement found 1 of us trying to turn right at a no right turn and 1 us saying go right before it :wacko:found us riding 50 yards up a 1 way street the wrong way :whistle: at this point we realised I had the original route and @Supersuperleeds had the revised version hence the confusion and @tallliman who's route it was hadn't turned the route on his gps . On to Belton and the cleverest bit of veloviewer square planning saw us grab a square as we turned into the cafe :rolleyes: a farm shop . Lovely bacon ,Sausage and Beans on toast were consumed with relish :mrpig:. Bit more on the A607 before turned onto some lovely lanes to Hough on the hill and Caythorpe where at the top of a hill ( yes they do exist in Lincolnshire) we were greeted with a stunning view you could see for miles . Quick lovely descent and then a quick detour up a farm track via a locked barrier :secret: to grab a square .On to Witham St Hughes where we were passed by castelli man so I engaged in abit of silly racing just sat behind him about 50 yards behind keeping pace quite easily and could see him shoulder check and could tell he was putting in some effort . Turning into a headwind and slight incline and I caught him easily and rode alongside . I started chatting but the poor guy was slightly out of breath :sweat: and struggling to talk . I asked him how far hed been just a quick 15 miles he was quite surprised when he asked me and I replied 70 miles from Leicester :becool:. He soon turned right and the 3 of us regrouped . The next obstacle in are path was coming into to view known locally as the cliff a long ridge we have to climb to get the other side .Harmiston hill was our route today bit of a shock to see the 14% road sign at the bottom ( told you Lincolnshire wasn't flat ) . I really enjoyed the climb couple of s bends to break the gradient @Supersuperleeds didn't enjoy as much :laugh: but he's not a hill avoider anymore @tallliman spun his way up in bottom gear but got up it :notworthy: .At the top we enjoyed a chocolate break :mrpig: as KitKat's and double deckers were devoured .At this point we were 5 miles from Lincoln with 30 miles still to go . @tallliman 2nd get out of turning for Lincoln and finding a pub and waiting was ignored as he decided to press on in the knowledge that all the climbing was done and 30 flat miles and a cafe stop at 20 were ahead . Onto the flatlands a couple of detours and navigation confusion due to different GPS routes saw us at the railway hertiage centre at Bardney cafe . To late for chips :cry:as they stopped serving at 1400 . Another bacon cob for @Supersuperleeds and a lovely Danish pastry for me and @tallliman . That left us 9 miles on the old railway track and 50 mins to make the 1630 train . So a fairly brisk blast too the station and straight onto the waiting train .Just shy of 120 miles for me in a tad over 8hrs ,127 for @Supersuperleeds ,108 for @tallliman . Another great ride in great company and apart from Melton and Grantham some lovely quiet roads all in all a great day on the bike . Well done on @tallliman for getting round :notworthy:.

Cheers, couldn't have done it without you both! Feeling it today though.

The best bit was that descent north of Caythorpe, absolutely stunning view!!

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride today . After yesterday effort a nice relaxing ride was in order . My favorite cafe is 16 miles from home so a perfect target for a 50km ride . Arrange to meet big sis for coffee and cake at 1100 . Out the door at 0955 . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Sileby ,Seagrave and finally nice pies in under at hour so much for a relaxing ride . A pleasant 45 mins chatting and consuming coffee and cake :mrpig:. After purchasing my restock on pies which were on offer ^_^ and persuading big sis to transport them home it's the reverse route home but this time mainly downhill . Home with 31.9 miles and a 50 km in the bag in 1hr 56 mins a bit chilly but lovely winter sunshine

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today's ride today . After yesterday effort a nice relaxing ride was in order . My favorite cafe is 16 miles from home so a perfect target for a 50km ride . Arrange to meet big sis for coffee and cake at 1100 . Out the door at 0955 . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Sileby ,Seagrave and finally nice pies in under at hour so much for a relaxing ride . A pleasant 45 mins chatting and consuming coffee and cake :mrpig:. After purchasing my restock on pies which were on offer ^_^ and persuading big sis to transport them home it's the reverse route home but this time mainly downhill . Home with 31.9 miles and a 50 km in the bag in 1hr 56 mins a bit chilly but lovely winter sunshine

I ached this morning, but still managed 17 miles with our lass at a massive 7.60mph :becool:

13 rider

Guru
I ached this morning, but still managed 17 miles with our lass at a massive 7.60mph :becool:
Now that's a proper recovery ride :okay:
What you need is a day off the bike:tongue:

Last edited:

kapelmuur

Veteran
Sods Law - in the 6 years I've been riding regularly I've only ever had 1 pair of arm warmers, cheapo's from Aldi.

So I figured I deserved an up market merino wool pair so I opened the wallet and bought a lovely thick set. First time out wearing them I fell off and ripped a huge hole in the elbow.

I blame the 50km challenge. I lost concentration trying to mentally convert my mileage into km, got too close to the edge of the road and my front wheel slipped where the edge of the road had crumbled away.

The silver lining was that the thickness of the material meant that I got away with only a slightly grazed elbow.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I lay in bed this morning, half awake, listening to the rain fall on the conservatory roof. My plan was to go out on the mountain bike, it was going to be fun on our local heavy clay soil!
In the interests of drainage I kept drinking tea, but eventually got my act together, out into a bright winter sun with a fair breeze.
Sure enough, 10 yards across the field and I was plastered. Half a mile off I spied two horses and their riders. I caught them up and they sauntered lazily along, they weren't going to be hurried.... cheeky b4stards! Bridleways are for bikes, not bloody horses!

IMG_5201.JPG

I was intending to take the turn to the right, but that's where they were going, so I went further on and turned up toward Caldecote, I passed them coming toward me, faces like slapped arses!

Along the bridleway to Bourn, slipping and slithering along into a blinding sun.
I then took a new route to me, but the only trouble is, is that it leaves you 1/2 a mile on the A1198, which was quiet, luckily.

Approaching Hayley Wood I flushed out a big old Roe buck, he pronked along, flashing me his pale bum! After a while he stopped and eyed me before jogging on.

Along the edge of the wood I stopped to take a pic
IMG_5202.JPG

It was intended for the cycle photo challenge, but I think it might well be out of focus, but no worse than the usual crap I submit!

A short spell on the road behind the maggot farm and then on a lovely bit of bridleway to Hayley St George. Again, blinded by the sun.
IMG_5205.JPG

A spell on the road through to Arrington, mostly down hill, clocking up my maximum speed of 32mph. That was the best bit, there was embarrassment to come.......

In to Wimpole. Unusually there were cars parked outside the house. Sometimes it's old MG's or suchlike that line the drive, but these were just cars. Then I rode past the stable block, the place was rammed. There were people everywhere. Car park full, cars queuing out beyond the end of the driveway. They must have had something on.

I left them to it and made my way past the farm, then came the trudge up the hill. Left or right....? Left is too stony, I'll go right! I did, and lost all traction half way up, the ground was soaking. 4-5 attempts to no avail! I had to GET OFF AND PUSH! Only for 50 yards, but still, I had to do it.
I changed up a couple of gears before trying again.... we have lift off!

I stopped at the top as the sky looked lovely
IMG_5207.JPG

Not sure the photo does it it justice really.

Along the Wimpole Way to Kingston, then back through the fields to Hardwick. In the last 2 miles I was cream crackered. All that sloppy mud took its toll!

29 tough, windy miles. It was a pressure washer kind of day once home!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1272084092

gavgav

Guru
The morning deluge passed through, leaving a sunny but very windy afternoon, marginal as to whether it was too windy for me, but, with not having been out on the bike much recently, I dragged myself out and hit a milestone for the year when I passed 1500 miles of cycling.

Properly cold out, we’d even seen some sleet this morning, so full Winter gear and long fingered gloves were out for the first time this Winter.

I set off to Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft, before turning to Exfords Green and then up the Long Lane “motorway”. It’s a narrow lane that is about a mile long and always without fail has traffic galore on it, despite it going nowhere in particular. Today was no exception with 7 stops to let cars and vans through :wacko:.

I then began the climb up to Oaks, from the slightly easier side, but the legs were feeling lethargic having not been tested for a month or so.

Shropshire Hills from Oaks
41EB400D-AFAF-4D24-922A-6FB5FF56D5BC.jpeg

I continued on to Pulverbatch and then up to Wilderley, enjoying the lovely views but no so much the filthy muddy lanes that were caking the bike in grime. I’d had the wind behind me for most of the ride so far, but that changed as I turned North to Netley and Dorrington, which was mostly downhill, but nowhere near as fast as normal into the 35mph headwinds.

I had a short section on the horrid A49, which was incident free thankfully, before turning into Stapleton and had an hour chatting to Dad.

Set back out again and the temperature had really dropped in that hour (hard frost forecast tonight) so it was a cold last 8 miles into the wind to Ryton, Condover, Betton and home.

23.7 miles, 1284 ft of climbing at 11.7 mph avg.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays metric half I knew I'd be time limited today, but it seemed a shame to waste another dry day.

Similar outfit to what had been near perfect yesterday, but by 'eck it felt a lot colder in that north-easterly wind! :cold: Still, I thought I'd warm up as I went on so I persevered.

Coal Road and Skeltons Lane to start, then down the hill towards Thorner and it was the busiest I've ever seen it. Cars were parked on both sides of the road on Sandhills narrowing it to a single lane along the white lines and there were dozens of people milling about in camo gear, mostly carrying metal detectors.

Anyway, on down the hill into the village and I swear it was getting colder. The Remembrance Sunday Parade was lining up by the ford, presumably to march down Main Street to the church, looking resplendent in the pale sunshine.

I took the left onto Carr Lane by the pub - after recent events I didn't want to push things too much and I could feel the cold creeping onto my chest again, so I took the least hilly route with generally upward lumpiness to the A58. From there it was a short scoot along to Coal Road, another climb up to the top of the hill and then, after getting brake checked by a Focus driver at the mini-roundabout :dry: along and onto local roads down to home.

8.11 miles (13.05km) in 37m 29s at an average of 13.0 mph with 387ft climbed. Not quite what I'd hoped for, but at least I got out there and got another ride in. Not so many cyclists out today, which is unusual for a Sunday, but they were made up for by the sheer volume of detectorists and higher than normal amount of joggers...

All of which got me home in time to wash the bike off, mickle the chain and get changed and sorted in front of the telly for the Remembrance Parade at the Cenotaph.

Sorry, no photos today, but here's a map:
12112017.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
.... just a few meters on the granny ring when going up Wainlodes hill. 0% on big ring. What does all this mean? Not sure yet, but I'm thinking of trying a flat bar bike with bar ends, and lower gearing for the hills.

You can be excused for reaching for the granny gear on Wainlodes Hill. I've only done it twice, and I was gritting my teeth and counting to 100 both times. You just have to make sure the tarmac is still moving beneath you!

On one occasion a club mate took on the challenge in too high a gear and went over sideways when the pedals just wouldn't turn any more. I did make a perfunctory enquiry as to whether he was OK. I then recall steering around his prostrate body in the middle of the road in order to make it to the top without stopping. I'm sure he understood! It's one of those hills you just have to beat, any way you can.

Top Bottom