Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
A little jaunt into Wales from Somerset. 150km. 50% of the route had a head wind, but a nice little shove homeward. Lovely day for it.

3FBCFB54-874A-48A9-A923-E5B148150260.png

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As any route inland from home is north or northwest for me and, with a very stiff north/northwesterly breeze being forecast, the planned ride to the far side of Ipswich was cancelled and I went for a mixed on/off road 17 mile ride on the MTB down to Felixstowe Ferry, back into town to get a couple of cards for birthdays this month, down to the seafront where the Sunday market was packing up early due to lack of trade and then on to the Port viewing area where the wind was coming straight down the River Orwell and bringing the first drops of rain. As a result of the conditions, I didn't stay long and managed to get home just as the first proper shower hit.
Screenshot-2017-11-12 Too windy for Ipswich Ride Strava.png

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
After spending Saturday evening at our club do, I needed to clear my head Sunday morning, so a mate and myself set out to do a 40 mile blow the cobwebs away ride.:okay: Was a bit chilly and windy but a lovely dry ride, Ended up back at our local for brunch and a couple of beers, then home for a shower and a nap. What a great weekend,
https://www.strava.com/activities/1272139324

Also did a bit of hill climb training on Saturday morning.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1270477370

iandg

Legendary Member
Got myself moving after a few coffees and kicked Rosie (one of our dogs) out of bed. Cold northerly wind today. Got wet on the muddy trails and then when I turned into the northerly blast from the arctic I just froze. Chilblains in my shins when I got home. An hour and a half-ish done on the local mtb trails then home to coffee and Huevos Rancheros (eggs baked in Heinz Mexican beans). All revealed in the relive video.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1271813680

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Once home from w*rk at 01:30 ish, I set my alarm for 06:45 for an early morning ride. Sure enough, on the dot of 08:35, I woke up :whistle:
Not to be deterred, I ate my porage and headed on for a shorter ride than planned!
Out towards Moulton, the lanes were a bit busy,, due to the weekend closure on the A43, but nothing too bad. In the village itself, there were loads on people assembling for a Remembrance Sunday parade, but I got through before the village was closed down. I would have stayed, but I was heading to the town centre parade.

IMG_4120.jpg

I was a bit late to get a decent view of the initial ceremony, but bagged a prime spot for the march past in front of the Guildhall.

IMG_4116.jpg

And an armed guard on my bike, that I'd hoiked over the Christmas tree fence, was most welcome :laugh: (note: no faces shown for ID purposes!)

Once the silence had been observer, and the march past was gone, I needed to head home as No. 1 daughter was popping over at 13:00.

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

I did have a few minutes to spare to ride around St Andrews hospital grounds though ( a bit tresspassy, but, hey ho ..)

Back home on 20 miles in lovely sunny weather, but with a chilly wind blowing quite strongly.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1272196240

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Bagged another point in the 50km challenge this morning (the sunny weather made me too good an offer. :whistle:)

Practically an identical route I did about a week ago (a meander North of Ipswich), only this time I saw a pair of raptors doing their thing near Gosbeck, rather than the solitary bird I saw then. At this rate, I'll be seeing flocks of the darn things soon.

This House-On-A-Hill near Coddenham.

1.JPG

Old jon

Guru
Well cold this morning, and I almost decided not to go out. But after yet another week off the bike, the vet told me the pain in my toe was gout, it seemed a good idea to go and ride.

The Ellis Briggs today, gears for these weary legs, and point the bike in the general direction of Wetherby. Not that I quite reached Wetherby, today it was relegated to a point of the compass. To start with, Holbeck and its newest attraction, the Water Wings. Good job its not a bus route. Negotiate those and head out to Hunslet and the road to Crown Point Bridge, followed by the traffic snarl towards Regent Street after which things quieten all the way up Roundhay Road to the clock at Oakwood. Poor legs, and Boot Hill is the next climb. No thoughts of rushing this one, find a low gear and twiddle all the way up. This had the unexpected benefit of warming up my fingers. Until this point I had been considering a shorter route, but. On to the pub and turn left for Shadwell, Whin Moor Lane ( I think ) and Gateland Lane after it are pretty exposed and breezy at the warmest of times. Anyway, turn left on the High Street and head for Slaid Hill, where a right turn takes the road towards Wike.

What is the collective noun for golf courses? This stretch of road deserves the noun, whatever it is. East Keswick next, and aye, I know it is uphill. But it keeps my fingers warm, see? And my legs tired. Drop to the A 659 and turn right for Collingham and the temptation to turn left to cross Linton Bridge and ride through the village to Wetherby. That, in these temperatures, was too far. So, to the A 58, left and then right onto Jewitt Lane and some more climbing. Vague tyre tracks, could be another eight or a dozen bikes had been ridden up there, maybe yesterday. By the time Compton Lane is reached lungs and legs need the more or less flat riding that follows, all the way to Thorner. And realisation happens, I still have Sandhills to climb. Ah well, get on with it. Really, not all that bad. So, Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane back to the A 58, that really satisfying descent ( after riding up it earlier ) of Boot Hill and back home via Oakwood and the squiggle around the edge of Leeds centre. Crossing the river again, at the same bridge, and the first spots of rain were felt. A very short shower to end 29.2 miles of riding and, despite my grumbles, only 1246 feet of climbing. Grinning still.

A map. Garmin little thingies are marvellous.

13112017.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a good leg stretch today on a variation of a route I've done a couple of times recently, to Acton Burnell, Cardington, Cressage Walcot, Upton Magna, Shrewsbury and home.

It was frosty again overnight so I waited for the ice to clear (not too long this time) and headed out with my winter layers on. There was practically no wind which should have been good for getting on well but as often happens in the cold weather I found it much more of an effort.

There was very little traffic around while I was out so no incidents to report. I did pass a few people out walking and there were a few cyclists out on the second half of the ride.

I changed the route at the end compared to the last couple of times and headed along the old canal path (rough and very muddy), along the riverside to Castlefields Bridge (met a family group with a friendly dog) then into Abbey Foregate and along Belle Vue to home.

45 miles this time (well, 44.99 but I'm claiming it ;)) at 13.2 mph average. Harder work than it should have been today.

DSC0005441.jpg

Acton Burnell

DSC0005442.jpg

On the old Roman road near Leebotwood.

DSC0005443.jpg

Oops. Someone has had a bit of a moment on the road to Cardington.

DSC0005444.jpg

A pause to have my lunch.

DSC0005446.jpg

The Wrekin - the colours looked better in real life than they've come out in the photo.:sad:

DSC0005447.jpg

This is more like it.:smile: A beech hedge at Downton.

johnnyb47

Guru
Its been a relatively warm day today so a bike ride was a must tonight.
It was pitch black outside as I got the out through the front door of my Mr Ben style house and was greeted by the sight of a group of mountain bikers heading towards the wilderness of the welsh mountains.
I wasn't feel that energetic tonight, so I headed off in the other direction where the roads are more forgiving. It turned out to be quite an eventful ride. I saw loads of roadies out in force with some really impressive lights on there bikes. None where offensively dazzling though and virtually everybody said hello whilst gasping for a breath. One roadie came past the opposite way about 7 miles from home and was shocked to see that he had no front or rear lights working on his bike. The roads were pitch black too. Further on as I came round a corner a drama suddenly unfolded. There was cars strewn all over the road with there hazards flashing ,and when I got closer I spotted a giant hole in the hedge with a car in the field. The driver was nowhere to be seen but it must of only recently happened ,as the bonnet was still warm to the touch from the heat of the engine. I unclipped my bike light to look around the area but there was no sign of the driver. The police soon arrived to the scene..
21 miles tonight and was thoroughly enjoyable and somewhat eventful :-) :-)

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
I am black lacquered! Thirty miles and maybe an inch ( 25.4 mm for the metrified ) more, and I do feel tired. Yep, my own silly fault for riding a bike all that distance. Good fun though, and the weather was quite a bit warmer than Monday. Dry too. Lets tell you how it happened.

Time to ride the fixed again, just so I do not forget how. Sensible would have been a route out south and east of where I live. Plenty of roads around that way, a lot of countryside to enjoy looking at, all that good stuff. I have never been that sort of sensible, so off to Otley, north and west from where I am sitting. This has the canal towpath as an easy start, the bit I use is surfaced nicely, apart from the below bridge cobbles, and only has a couple of lock rises to slow me down. Leave the towpath at Viaduct Road, cross the river and enjoy Cardigan Road all the way up to Headingley. And up again to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Straight on, though I was tempted to turn right and ride past the church and dam at Adel, I resisted. The A 660 all the way to the Dyneley Arms and turn right to descend Pool Bank. With some trepidation, the last descent of this hill on the fixed resulted in an involuntary unclipping of my left foot. Interesting! No drama this time around, turn left at the bottom to head for Otley along the A 659.

The place in the video once was a paper mill, if memory serves. It is now a huggin of different businesses, one of which seems to be a brewery. I will check sometime. A couple of left turns in Otley and the A 660 unwinds uphill and in front. Back to the Dyneley Arms, a brisk ride through Bramhope and I did it. Turned left at the roundabout, I did. The other end of the bit passing the dam and church at Adel. It is a bit of a climb to Arthington Road, turn right and the downhill is welcome. A short climb after the dam, a ride past the posh houses turn right and there is the Otley Road again. Left, more downhill to Headingley, then Kirkstall and a return to the towpath. Office Lock and leave the towpath, Water Lane and its newly sprouted wings and Hunslet and home. Another good ride.

A map, I have a number of strangely similar ones . . .

15112017.jpg

And, for once, the elevation profile, courtesy of my little Garmin. The bit that looks like falling off a cliff is Pool Bank.

15112017 Elev.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We did our "regular" coastal loop today, just under 20 miles.

By "we" I mean, myself, Mrs BoldonLad and eldest daughter. You may be pleased to hear, eldest daughter is a recent recruit to cycling, she was riding Mrs BoldonLad's "old" bicycle. Only previous out was one of our 10 mile loops about ten days ago.

Mrs BoldonLad takes no prisoners, no concessioners for a "beginner", or, the inferior bicycle, usual pace, no waiting, no quarter given!

I did treat then to coffee and cake at the 15 miles mark.

It remains to be seen if we have a new "recruit" or not.

Spartak