Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After finishing work in the very early hours, I opted for the long way home to get a few more Explorer squares, ones which I wouldn't go for during the day since the traffic is bad, and it's not the nicest of places to ride either being largely built up. But, at 2 o'clock in the morning it's quiet enough to pedal along whilst munching on a Cornish pasty. Not too chilly with a bit of mist on the air, I left the airport and headed North to Harlington, the East through Cranford before heading home via Feltham, Bedfont and then familiar roads from Ashford.
A very enjoyable 15.7 mile commute home, and something that may become a habit on the way home from middle of the night finishes.

pjd57

Veteran
I had a couple of things to do at opposite ends of Glasgow.
So it was Maryhill to Pollock, on to Cathcart , Celtic park , for a picture of the bricks ( RIP Jacky )
On to Partick and home. 30 miles.
Not much speed , too many traffic lights.
Makes me glad I got rid of my car.
It stayed dry .
Hopefully tomorrow I'll find a less polluted route.

Attachments

• IMG_20171116_141000283_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20171116_141000283_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 53
Short pootle on the XLS from Cambridge North station to at least keep the legs moving while I've got this cold.

Some bunny hop practicing along Fen Road and then off the oaths were possible through the commons and greens ;Jesus Green was fun with it being a bit waterlogged at the moment:smile:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1277394655

Quick pause for a pic with Kings chapel peeking behind Clare college in the background ;

IMG_1472.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Another urban circuit, around South Tyneside, today.

Dry, with "watery" sunshine, decidedly chilly.

Twelve miles, as much as possible on Cycletracks or shared paths:

From Boldon Colliery through Hedworth and past Felgate Metro Station

Through Jarrow, yes, amazingly, this is Jarrow:

Past Jarrow Slake and St Paul's Church

South Shields (Tyne Dock - Harton) very urban, no scenery

edge of town approaching Holder House

returning to Boldon Colliery, via Tilesheds Nature Reserve

Almost home

Messed up the orientation of my Drift HD170!, but, if you really want the gory details they are here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGYRauW7lm05hBc-RL2JfCZrhDOr-i5o, and, they will, eventually, be right way up, promise!

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A couple of days late posting this, but it’ll make me feel better for typing this as I didn’t go out today or yesterday.

Planned my 25km route as usual especially as I hadn’t done this one before. Normally go for 30km (20 mile) routes, but as I was very worn down after last Sunday’s ride, the wife made me swear I’d take it easy. Minus 5km seemed about right :whistle:

Went from Todwick down the bridleway to Wales (the village, not the country). Headed past Wales church and joined the bridleway to Woodall then by road to Killamarsh. Took another bridleway to Renishaw then up some long hills to Barlborough.

But wait! What about the puncture in Renishaw?! It seems I picked up a Hawthorne on the last bridleway. Replaced the inner tube on a handy footpath in the middle of Renishaw. Third puncture I’ve had in about 6 weeks.

Passed an interesting little pub on the way, but me being me, I’ve forgotten the name of it. Then it was around junction 30 of the M1 and up to the De Rodes (which does cheap food but wasn’t spectacular last time I went) before whizzing down some short hills and up some long hills to Harthill. From there a hop, skip and jump to Kiveton Park (no mean feat on a bike, I can tell you) before heading home.

My main issue is forgetting to eat as I ride, but after some stern warnings from the missus I made sure to eat at three points on the ride.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A day off today and a nice slow 17 mile saunter across the Fen here. I certainly won't be troubling the good folks at Strava any time soon!

IMG_2476.JPG

Bakers Fen near Wicken filling up with water nicely now- plenty of wildfowl and waders turning up.
IMG_2477.JPG

Some of my favourite tracks are getting quite boggy now but still doable for now.

IMG_2484.JPG

Not a great shot, but a nice fly past by a barn own at Reach Lode bridge. A very pale individual this one, and as I watched it hunt it's easy to see why it was also known as the ghost owl.

IMG_2488.JPG

He managed to catch a vole and wolfed it down in one on a post, looking very pleased with himself.

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

Then the sky caught fire! Home just before my hands froze. A terrific ride in perfect conditions.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Again time was short but with wonderful blue skies and little wind it was necessary to grab some miles. The old loop was the thing. Ashleworth to include climbing to Woolridge. Well it is a lovely ride even if I know it backwards. Little to report today. The M50 bridge now has its new tarmac but still something to be done as none of the infrastructure has moved. Robins appeared everywhere today. I think they were attempting to get themselves noticed for the up coming Xmas card season. Just one buzzard today. The Hams are still quite dry so no wildfowl to be seen yet. I kept the pace sensible today as the cold was all around. That worked well so I'm ready for tomorrow's Saturday Crew ride. 44 smiles

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Another day of sunshine that I couldn't pass up. I also needed to occupy my mind with something other than thinking some important blood results due in the afternoon.
Well, I noticed frost on the lawn in the morning, but decided against a full-winter coat and elected to go for Last-Layer-Before-Swapping-Over-To-Coat. Three miles in and I was regretting it, as I was becoming boiled, but only a little while later, some kind of temperature equilibrium had been achieved and I felt just right.
For the last couple of weeks I've been playing around with 25-30 mile routes that take me through Claydon, Coddenham, Gosbeck, Helmingham, Otley and home and seeing the fields change day-by-day has, once again, reminded me why I love cycling.

This on the hill out from Barham to Coddenham:-

3.JPG

I was going a little slower than usual, but still, some of the other riders passing me seemed to be flying. All, except one, responded to my 'Good Morning!' and I didn't care that not all did.

The beet has been harvested. This out near Otley College:-

7.JPG

Didn't make it for another 50km point, but it was a good ride.

(Blood results? Great news.:okay:)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
:laugh: @Reflective Ape

Love the pics - especially the last one :hungry:

Bike selected; CGR (as I knew I was venturing onto a, now, bridleway)
Weather; overcast. cool, mainly dry, but drizzle & headwind (on the return)
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Out this morning, as I didn't ParkRun (and decided, I wasn't going to travel up to 'H v C'. as I feel too unfit)
I only had a couple of hours, so just headed over through Old Snydale, past the Cross Keys, & up towards Featherstone

(taken from the opposite direction)
Wednesday 12th November 2014
DSCF1776.JPG

A left turn, at 'Lin-Pac junction, towards Featherstone itself
As I waited for the next set of traffic-lights to change, at the bottom of Station Road, two riders came out
They were held, at the following set of lights, near The Junction pub, I'm pretty certain that they were both Wakefield Triathlon Club members, or at least one of them (sure it was Jon Howard - riding a Colnago CX bike, on cantilevers, with mudguards)

Through Purston, & past the lovely Old Hall
(seen from the adjacent field)
https://www.britishlistedbuildings....ed-garden-wall-to-front-ackworth#.WhAmb0x2vIU
Tuesday 19th October 2004

Ackworth. Old Hall. 1.JPG

Past the Market Cross, & The Brown Cow, with a short stretch of Pontefract Road (A628), before turning onto Long Lane, by one of (the three) Obelisks on this road (the Barnsley - Pontefract TurnPike)
https://www.britishlistedbuildings....junction-with-long-lane-ackworth#.WhAngkx2vIU
Wednesday 4th April 2007
Ackworth. Obelisk. Long Lane. 2.JPG Ackworth. Obelisk. Long Lane. 4.JPG

It's a quiet stretch, with not a car seen, until reaching the Rustic Arms at the other end, where it joins Station Road

This meets the Barnsdale Road, which leaves the A1, at Barnsdale Bar, then heads into Pontefract
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2745075
Then...... it's lost in Castleford , Lagentium to the Romans, before emerging again, as (again!) Barnsdale Road, becoming Ridge Road, as it heads towards HookMoor & Aberford

Once through East Hardwick, I crossed the Little Went, on the way (opposite direction to photo); http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/530961

Then it was the gentle, rolling ascent to join Moor Lane, into Wentbridge, to enter the village next to Goldeneye (one of the barn conversions, & yes!!, there is usually an Aston-Martin parked outside)

This essentially arrives at the foot of the North Cutting, the scene of many a wagon drivers cursing, during the days of the 'Great North Road' passing through the village,

Saturday 15th February 2015
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2281023
https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101135504-wenthill-farmhouse-darrington#.WhAtEEx2vIU

13a.JPG

The GNR now climbs up the North Cutting, towards its coupling with the A1, just to the south of Darrington
(the 'modern' A1 passes over the, 1961, Wentbridge viaduct)

At this point, my reason for being here, comes into sight
The pre-1830 Great North Road, that was even steeper than the present road)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4864871

Due to the stops to photograph, I was actually down to a 34 x 25, which was a surprise, but the surface was a stoney/tree-rooted
Wentbridge. Old Cutting. 1.JPG Wentbridge. Old Cutting. 3.JPG Wentbridge. Old Cutting. 10.JPG

I'll admit here, that my previous thoughts/beliefs, on this route were wrong, as evidenced by other local historians, & various maps
Jackson Lane was what I thought was the GNR
I think what threw me, was writings in various books about Jacksons Hill, & hence Jackson Lane............

Once, at the top, there was the short ride over the Westfield Lane, to Darrington, & a loop round through the village, past the windmill. & Manasseh, then back via the same route, into East Hardwick
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/232113
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/535649

My only variation, was upon reaching Barnsdale Road again, when I ventured into HundHill, to cut a corner, with the added excitement of a wind-driven drizzle & the remnants of Equestrian road-users, on the corners...........................

DSCF4072.JPG

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2605987
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2605983

Day-off tomorrow, so I'll see what it brings for a ride

I hope, at least one person enjoyed reading this/opening the links/the photographs

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A very familiar route today, the temperature outdoors is not very encouraging. It is similar every year of course, more layers, thick gloves, frozen left foot. I know what to expect but radically different or longer rides are unlikely to happen.

Out on the geared bike today, and riding around the flatter bits of country ( silly word, towns, villages and some open fields ) near to home. Flatter, my tiny Garmin insists there was just over one thousand feet of climbing today. Not going to argue, the only way away from here is up. The initial wander around Holbeck has some extra decoration these days, so I rode under the wings of Water Lane again, on the way to the pedal through Hunslet and the poorly surfaced hill up to John o’ Gaunts. It has occurred to me, again, why site a coal mine on the top of a hill? An adit lower down would surely have been easier. Maybe lower down was not lower enough? Anyway, riding there makes the warmth build up well. Turn left and pass the station at Woodlesford, nicely downhill, and turn left again to cross the two waterways on the road to Swillington, and a little more climbing. The roundabout at Garforth was clear again, no intention of riding up the cliff today, so straight on around the northern side of the town, past the football club and across that enormous roundabout over the M 1. Carry straight on for the gates of Lotherton Hall.

The left turn, up and down again to Aberford, right and left onto Cattle Lane for more up and down on the way to Barwick in Elmet, the last bit to the maypole was hard pedalling today. Through Scholes, where I noticed the school sign now says ‘Scholes ( Elmet )’. I do not know how many Scholes there are in Yorkshire. After the village is the A 64 and today it was busier than I have seen it in some time, but turn left, then right a few hundred yards later onto Thorner Lane. Skeltons Lane is soon reached, along that to Red Hall Lane and the left onto the A 58, whizz down the hill and take the right turn for the unused gates of Roundhay Park, past the clock and down Roundhay Road towards the wander round the edge of Leeds town centre, a small ride through Hunslet after crossing the river and up the hill to home to complete 28.3 miles when I reached there. Lots of autumn colours, most of the way around. Leaf fall has revealed new views across fields, a grand ride it was.

Similar maps have been seen . . .

18112017.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride on the tandem today to Foxton, Jo's friend was exhibiting at the art show.

We got there via Chapel Hill after seeing the worlds biggest kestrel and a lone hare, though not together.

After a brew with Hilary we rode to Shelford and called in at Days bakery.
We returned via Coton and Madingley Hill for a 27 mile loop.

IMG_5229.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1280495895

Attachments

• IMG_5232.JPG
    IMG_5232.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 36

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First decent ride this morning on the recently acquired Koga Miyata for me this morning took a route with loads of options .

IMG_20171112_160148073.jpg

All was going well at the first two option points so carried on and ended up doing 34 miles to Oakley just above Bedford and back .

IMG_20171118_065356745.jpg

Chilly out at first 5.15 but soon got into the swing of things back in by 8 am as a busy day ahead.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E, Sara P and I set off but on came the rain. That's not in the forecast! Mrs 26, Margaret PR and Jules H were at the Pot sheltering. Fladbury was the initial call but with the rain looking like it was settling in that got changed to Pershore. Mrs 26 headed off home and not long after Jules did the same. So 4 of us braved the weather a bit longer. We were getting steadily soaked and at Pershore Sara peeled off rather than stop. Fortunately it was fairly comfortable in the cafe and the chat flowed well. All too soon we had to get back out in it. There was a fair bit of extra work being put in to get warmed back up. Eventually we did warm up but we kept the pace brisk to stay warm. We didn't hang about when it was time for Margaret to head home so Steve and I continued with the brisk to get back as best we could. Glad to be back home and out of the wet kit. Now who got that forecast wrong? 39 (s)miles

Top Bottom