Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A brief ride today on the Brompton, collecting ingredients for my Xmas cake making plans on Friday. All fitted nicely in the S-Bag, just need to resist munching through all the peel and nuts before I cook the cake:mrpig:
6 miles in what turned out to be glouriosly warm weather.
Bit more chilly on my 10 miles in to work tonight.

Lonestar

Veteran
Testrun on the Triban 500 which I bought a couple of months back but haven't really touched.

It has a solid tyre on the rear which was a bugger to get on but I remembered the tyre lever from my Greentyre days and managed to get it on.About as tough as getting a Marathon Plus on.Tourniqueted (is that a word?) the tyre with two old inner tubes and prised the tyre on.

Bit rough at the start as I did two circuits round Leytonstone after fitting temporary lights which did their job well.Got used to the bike very quickly and the riding of the rear tyre and also the front tyre which had the original fitted wheel and cheap bald tyre.Had to adjust the seatpost as it felt too low.Even on my first trip on it yet another pedestrian stepped into the road in front of me but I wasn't going too fast.Was worried a bit about the brakes as I'm more used to riding bullhorn handlebars on the fixies as opposed to drops.

It's now fitted on the Turbo Trainer and after five months the Audax has been released from it's Turbo Trainer prison.The Audax needs a bit of servicing now and a checking over.

Actually on the unlit path...although I had a front light it didn't throw out a straight beam but mainly scattered, although it was bright flashing and the pedestrian coming the other way could obviously see me.The only warning I really had he was there was because I could see his lit cigarette.

+UPDATE 1st ride on turbo wasn't brilliant but I tinkered and tightened the resistance and it made the second ride much more enjoyable and consistent with the solid tyre...Meant to check the tyre and will do.(Tyre is fine after 1hrs use on turbo trainer.)

With the previous trainer tyres they tend to shed little bits of rubber and the inner tube goes down as well meaning it's half flat generally...also it slips if sweat gets on the tyre...Fixed that by putting a towel on the seat.Wasn't so sure the solid tyre was going to work but seems ok so far.
Made 408 miles in October a record on it but as I was leave for two weeks accounted for the added mileage with less commutes.Forgot to put the fans on tonight but it wasn't too bad.I always seem to forget something.

Last edited:
Today I thought I'd have a bash at a 150k Audax. I figured I'd managed an Imperial 100 last month so I ought to be able manage this.

It turned into a bit of a mental and physical battle with me wondering why the hell I do this?

I think I made three elementary errors:

1. Hadn't ridden much since the 100, with only a thirty and a few tens. Turns out I loose fitness very quickly.
  2. I didn't eat enough - toast for breakfast, a couple of Mr Kipling cakes early in the ride, and a scone at the first stop. Probably not enough for an all day ride.
  3. And I over-heated badly at one point. There was a bit of a hill that (according to RideWithGPS) reaches 25%. That I fought my way up, but (it being October) I had a long sleeved jersey and a jacket and a long-legged bib tights on and I just felt myself boiling. I stopped and took my jacket off but for the next 30 minutes I was good for nothing. Had to walk up hills that were nothing like that one. I felt sick. Couldn't concentrate or even read the Audax Route Details. Even dry heaved at the roadside. At the next stop I couldn't face food (another error?) but a cool Coke helped.
The final 50k was very hard but at least I was feeling better, and the final numbers more or less match equivalent ride earlier this year. But I can't say I enjoyed this and by the end my legs were really hurting. Not aching, but hurting. It was a tough day.

Anyway, the ride was beautiful - started from Tewkesbury and rode over the Malverns and up into Worcestershire, across to Hereford and then looped back via Newent. 150k and 6400 feet of climbing. Met some lovely people. Also rode with a fellow for a wile who had a very nice Specialized Sequoa, which is kind of the current version of mine, so it was good to get the lowdown on that.

Derek
Well done better man than me Derek.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
HB Gav :birthday:

'Tomorrow' being today
I did get out very late morning, but it's not really worthy of a report

I'll see what Monday 30th/Tuesday 31st brings...................

No ride, as wife and daughter should have been away for the week, but a family medical crisis altered plans immensely
So it was a few drives out both days
Holmfirth. etc.... yesterday
Halifax today

There are photos

Top Bottom