Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just reporting in , in case anyone missed me (why would you?)
Following my accident a few weeks ago and two broken ribs sustained.

I am recovering well, and received a cheque from the other parties insurance for the bike repair
(Wheel and forks and some minor bits, frame has been thoroughly check and is true and undamaged - this was the Kona Roadhouse so frame is steel)

Have now done three rides on the indoor bike (Wattbike atom) and coming along ok

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just reporting in , in case anyone missed me (why would you?)
Following my accident a few weeks ago and two broken ribs sustained.

I am recovering well, and received a cheque from the other parties insurance for the bike repair
(Wheel and forks and some minor bits, frame has been thoroughly check and is true and undamaged - this was the Kona Roadhouse so frame is steel)

Have now done three rides on the indoor bike (Wattbike atom) and coming along ok

I've been pleased to receive the kudos on Strava:okay: Good to hear you're back pedalling, and to be honest the trainer the best place to be at the moment, it's pretty horrible out there.

Good to hear you've got a response from the van drivers insurance, I presume there's a claim going in for your injuries too?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Bit chilly out there but Mrs 26 and I joined Steve E and Sara P in the Green. As we rode over to Upton to join Pete M we were confronted with some flooding in the back lane. This meant we took to a muddy footpath and added quite some time to our "commute". Pete was about to give up on us as we rolled up 20 minutes late. To be fair Steve had been late in the Green by about 10 minutes.

We agreed a route to Tewkesbury but at the first turn off Mrs 26 headed the wrong way. We looked at each other and went after her. She'd got a bit of a wiggle on so we weren't closing easily and then I punctured. Pete stayed with me while the other two chased Mrs 26 down.

Underway again Pete and I took the more major route to Long Green thinking the others would be waiting there. They weren't so we decided enough was enough of these big roads and jinked around Bushley. Climbing away from The Mythe the others were waiting at the chosen cafe. But it was closed due to a major water pipe burst in the town. So we thought about trying the pub in Twyning. Now I'd not been in this one and neither had the others. We took the chance and whilst they too were without mains water they did make tea, coffee and sausage and chip butties. Indeed a very nice welcome they provided.

Off again we took in the White Rabbit and on over the swollen river and to avoid the flooded lane we went by Gilbert's End which is something of a rarity. Sara had headed north from Hanley Castle and Steve headed up a dreadfully hard bit of road (which today was blasted by a chill head wind) from Hanley Swan. The three survivors made it back not long after. Now that took a lot longer than it should and provided us with several obstacles which required changes of plan. No harm done tho'. Good fun. 34 smiles

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Took Patsy #3 The Hybrid out for a pootle to Levington Marina shod with studded tyres. A tad cold, but at l;east someone had a fur coat .... :cold:

This overlooking The Orwell.

17.12.12 Nacton.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A new record for me today. 36.9 miles. Doesn't sound much, but that's the furthest I've ever ridden with a hangover. It was the club's annual dinner and awards night last night, and it was a good 'un. A paltry grand total of six of us made it out there this morning! We rode around as a group, though we were from the various different speed groups of the club, so a couple of us trailed in the wake of the others, getting a good workout trying to keep up..

Blasted away a few cobwebs and thoroughly enjoyed our big loop out to Frocester, Cam and Arlingham and back. Just before Arlingham the rain rolled in and added to the suffer factor, as it was already pretty chilly out there, with some ice left at the side of the road, and snowy hillsides visible on the opposite bank of the Severn. An unfortunate time for one of our number to get a rear wheel puncture. The someone helping him to fix it trod in a dog egg. Then the rain got heavier. Even though we were all cold and wet, after being off the bike for a fortnight with a bad back and a stiff neck, (as well as all the snow and ice), it was great anyway to get back out on the bike.

Cheers everyone, and enjoy your rides over the Christmas period. Donger.

13 rider

Guru
After last weekends snow and ice during the week cutting commuting down to 3 days I really fancied a good ride this morning . Had a metric century planned waited until 10 for the overnight frost to clear which is the time the rain was due to start. As I rolled the bike out the door sure enough it started to rain on with the rain jacket . Up through Newtown to Shepshed and Belton . Stopped here to put on a second pair of glooves as the first were already wet . At this point I decided to abandon the metric century and just do 50km instead . Making the route up on the fly around the back of Loughborough via Long Whatton ,Normanton on soar . At this point while calculating distance I realised I need 42 miles to make it a 100 mile week so replan out to Walton on the Wolds ,just before climbing out of the village there was a road closed sign rather than do the nasty climb to find no way through I looped round back to Barrow then Quorn picking commuting route home . 42.9 miles in the bag for a weekly total reach 100.5 which considering the weather I more than happy with . Home cold and wet nice bowl of pipping hot soup to thaw out .Just cleaned the bike as it was filfy and got the commuter ready for tomorrow hoping the weather improves . Still came across a short section of road which was iced over so a quick walk be careful out there

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that's my qualifying ride done for December and 2017's Imperial Century a month challenge complete. Another gold star for me
full-d-1443009817-jpg-jpg.jpg

I was awake early this morning but was in two minds as to whether get out there and ride. The overnight weather report was for for minus temperatures and rain during the day. If I didn't do the ride today then I would have had only two other days in December to do the ride, and one of those would have been the 31st.

So, I just got out there and got on with it. It was very cold, it was icy in places and frosty in lots. But the going wasn't that bad. So early on a Sunday morning meant very little traffic so progress was pretty swift. 10.30am I was in Ashford International Station, the halfways stop warming up with a pot of tea, scrambled egg on toast and a huge choccy cake. :hungry:

In Ashford Station. 53 miles in, a tad frosty.
msgr_photo_for_upload_1513507562512-jpg_1513507568599-jpg.jpg

I didn't hang around for too long as both the Norwegians and the BBC both predicted rain from 1pm onwards.
I just reversed the route put my head down and turned the pedals. Once again little traffic made for swift progress.

375x500_20171217_151102-gif.gif

Come 1pm the predicted rain did arrive but not heavy, more a drizzle. It wasn't to bad but did last the rest of the ride. I had chosen my clothing and footwear wisely though so I was toasty warm and dry the whole ride. (those that are interested, Spesh Defroster Boots, Sealskinz Socks, DHB Roubaix Tights, Long Sleeve Base Layer, Altura Winter Jersey, ShuttVR Waterproof Jacket, Buff, Cycle Cap, Woolly hat and Altura Waterproof Winter Gloves.)

I walked in the door at 2.30pm. 101 miles on the clock and the challenge completed. Century # 31 for the year, # 228 over all and #85 Imperial Century month in a row. The bike was filthy.. but now all squeaky clean again.

Roll on 2018... it's just around the corner, the challenge starts again. :okay:

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well that's my qualifying ride done for December and 2017's Imperial Century a month challenge complete. Another gold star for me View attachment 387604

I was awake early this morning but was in two minds as to whether get out there and ride. The overnight weather report was for for minus temperatures and rain during the day. If I didn't do the ride today then I would have had only two other days in December to do the ride, and one of those would have been the 31st.

So, I just got out there and got on with it. It was very cold, it was icy in places and frosty in lots. But the going wasn't that bad. So early on a Sunday morning meant very little traffic so progress was pretty swift. 10.30am I was in Ashford International Station, the halfways stop warming up with a pot of tea, scrambled egg on toast and a huge choccy cake. :hungry:

In Ashford Station. 53 miles in, a tad frosty.
View attachment 387605

I didn't hang around for too long as both the Norwegians and the BBC both predicted rain from 1pm onwards.
I just reversed the route put my head down and turned the pedals. Once again little traffic made for swift progress.

View attachment 387606

Come 1pm the predicted rain did arrive but not heavy, more a drizzle. It wasn't to bad but did last the rest of the ride. I had chosen my clothing and footwear, wisely though so I was toasty warm and dry the whole ride. (those that are interested, Spesh Defroster Boots, Sealskinz Socks, DHB Roubaix Tights, Long Sleeve Base Layer, Altura Winter Jersey, ShuttVR Waterproof Jacket, Buff, Cycle Cap, Woolly hat and Altura Waterproof Winter Gloves.)

I walked in the door at 2.30pm. 101 miles on the clock and the challenge completed. Century # 31 for the year, # 228 over all and #85 Imperial Century month in a row. The bike was filthy.. but now all squeaky clean again.

Roll on 2018... it's just around the corner, the challenge starts again. :okay:

Well done for the ride, and completing the challenge this year. Having done the Metric this year, the imperial has to be at least looked at for 2018..

Out of interest, what are the blue things under your handlebars? I presume lights?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After last weekends snow and ice during the week cutting commuting down to 3 days I really fancied a good ride this morning . Had a metric century planned waited until 10 for the overnight frost to clear which is the time the rain was due to start. As I rolled the bike out the door sure enough it started to rain on with the rain jacket . Up through Newtown to Shepshed and Belton . Stopped here to put on a second pair of glooves as the first were already wet . At this point I decided to abandon the metric century and just do 50km instead . Making the route up on the fly around the back of Loughborough via Long Whatton ,Normanton on soar . At this point while calculating distance I realised I need 42 miles to make it a 100 mile week so replan out to Walton on the Wolds ,just before climbing out of the village there was a road closed sign rather than do the nasty climb to find no way through I looped round back to Barrow then Quorn picking commuting route home . 42.9 miles in the bag for a weekly total reach 100.5 which considering the weather I more than happy with . Home cold and wet nice bowl of pipping hot soup to thaw out .Just cleaned the bike as it was filfy and got the commuter ready for tomorrow hoping the weather improves . Still came across a short section of road which was iced over so a quick walk be careful out there

Well done fella. I was planning and going up to nice pie, but on seeing the forecast and ice on the ground ending up just popping up to Sainsbury's instead.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done for the ride, and completing the challenge this year. Having done the Metric this year, the imperial has to be at least looked at for 2018..

Out of interest, what are the blue things under your handlebars? I presume lights?

Cheers CB.
Would love to have you join us in the 2018 challange.

Yup, the blue thingies are 2 Hope Vision 1 lights.
upload_2017-12-17_18-3-19.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Cheers Jon.
After today's fairly ride I should say, no that's enough, but no, it doesn't happen like that does it.
I felt like that immediately after my qualifier at the start of the month.

Today, after not having been able to ride for a week I've got itchy feet and want to pull out my maps and plan the next one.:hyper:

It gets you like that.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom