Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
My commute home at 0330hrs this morning was hard going, I suspect due to having only eaten a packet of Hula Hoops and a Penguin. A brief utility ride after lunch got the legs going, so this evening a quick spin out to avoid the Tuesday night tripe that SWMBO insists on watching.
Back to the commute again tomorrow..

I would edit that to Penguin biscuit befor some prat reports you to the RSPB the RSPCA.David Attenborough.

galaxy

Veteran
Penguin. Not had of those for a while. Quite nice too. Dipped in ya Cuppa.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I was due to meet Pete M but it was still raining when I headed out. It was supposed to stop in about half and hour. It would take me that long to ride over the Hill to the meet spot. It was still raining as I rolled up but Pete wasn't there. A quick chat on the phone told me he'd given up with the weather and wasn't coming. As I headed off on my own for a shortish route home the rain stopped. I thought I'd head round the southern end of the Hills but when I got to Bromsberrow I changed my mind to take the Broom's Green run for Dymock. I began my run back from there via Ryton and Redmarley to avoid taking already used tarmac. Rather than take the straightforward route back I headed over to Pendock and Birtsmorton for the Castlemorton lanes. Nice serendipitous ride today to notch up some 40 smiles.

Thankfully all the heavy rain had finished by 10.30 am so I took my bike on the train from Littleborough to Westhoughton (in between Bolton and Chorley). A single off peak ticket only cost me £4.10 with my Senior Railcard discount. A strong gusty SW wind was forecast so I had decided to design my route and direction of travel to take advantage of the tailwind

On arrival at Westhoughton, I meandered through some quiet streets and roads as far as Lostock station where I took route 80 to Bolton along the cyclepath that has the railway on one side and the River Croal on the other (see pic). It was just under 3 miles to Bolton. After negotiating some back streets in an industrial area I emerged on busy roads near the town centre but there is a marked cycle lane that facilitates a safe ride. In a short while I turned off to take the off road cycleway high up over the Burnden viaduct that traverses the busy A666 road then continuing on the cyclepath alongside Levenshulme Park. Eventually turning left down Long Lane for a few hundred metres before turning right on to Leacroft Avenue and Hollycroft Avenue before taking another traffic free cycle way through the large open recreation grounds. Subsequently emerging on Harpford Drive and then Somerton Road before taking the A58 using the cycle lane for a a short while. I later turned left up Bradley Fold Road and climbed up to the village of Ainsworth before cycling on to Walshaw and eventually the cyclepath near the Burrs Country Park that took me in to Bury. The River Irwell was very full (see pic) but the sun was actually out for a short while hence the hazy photo.

I took some familiar back streets through Bury and peeled off the final 10 miles through Rochdale and back home to Littleborough.[
Looking across the open recreation Grounds near Bolton.jpg
West Pennine Moors in the distance.jpg
A very full River Irwell at Bury.jpg
Cycleway between Lostock and Bolton.jpg
Cycleway over the River Irwell, Bury.jpg
Good Cycleway near Bolton.jpg
Looking across the open recreation Grounds near Bolton.jpg

A decent wind assisted 24 miles and a relaxing few hours out on the bike.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I popped out before work to get in 10 or so miles before the wind really decided to blow. This out near Levington overlooking The Orwell.

BTW Is the naming of a single-track lane -The Drift - only a Suffolk peculiarity, or is is common throughout the country?

View attachment 392917

(Coming back from work I was damn near blown to a stand-still!)

There be Drifts round these parts in Cambridgeshire.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A more urban ride today as we needed a couple of items from the supermarket so I decided to take a jaunt to the nearest ASDA with a longer, more scenic outgoing ride and a shorter return journey owing to the weight in the pannier bags. Plus it’s all uphill on the return.

I found some paths unknown to me previously through a township called Waterthorpe near the ASDA. It made a pleasant change. I didn’t expect to see much wildlife, but did expect more than I saw.

A happy 26.65 km / 16.65 miles ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a morning ride today to try and get some miles in before the rain arrived. I headed south this time through Condover, Pitchford and Acton Burnell then over the hill to Cardington and Hughley before taking the roundabout route to Harnage Grange, Harnage, Cound and back to Pitchford from where I retraced my steps to home.

It's another breezy day and cold with it so I ended up changing to full finger gloves after only half a mile. The first half of the ride was mostly into the wind so was slow and quite an effort. The roadworks are still at Acton Burnell and like last time I was allowed through but the same couldn't be said for the motorist who followed me through the closure and had to turn back (about 10 miles extra driving for him :giggle:)

I was slower than usual up Folly Bank but enjoyed the fast descent the other side. I knew I'd have the wind behind me once I started to head north again but I was further up the road than expected before I started to feel the effects. After that the bike seemed to fly along and having the gradient in my favour too I got some good cruising speeds up around 25mph on the way to Hughley.:hyper:

It's a bit more undulating on the way to Cound where I encountered a massive artic in the village - that's much too big for these lanes. I picked up a tailwind again at Pitchford which helped up the hill to Cantlop then along the main road from Condover.

35.1 miles today at 13 mph average which I'm fairly pleased with. A few other cyclists out and about which was good and some runners too who I don't often see down the lanes.

DSC0005773.jpg

Not many photos today as I was trying to beat the weather. Looking towards Caer Caradoc from a favourite viewpoint (and a convenient place to pause for a drink).

DSC0005774.jpg

At Cardington.

DSC0005775.jpg

Near Cantlop on the way back. A few light showers about. The main band of rain came in about an hour later than forecast so I got back with plenty of time to spare.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Better weather today. Pete M was in this time. We headed over to Upton taking the Tunnel Hill dodge as the River had flooded our usual lane. For a change we took to Kinnersley and Pirton Church. The ford at Pinvin was well up. Floods here too. Fortunately the footbridge was dry but debris on it showed that the water had gone down. Over the airfield lead us to Bishampton. The ride to Fladbury from here was hindered by a strong head wind. As always we had a lovely welcome at the Tea Rooms.

Pete likes his long cafe stops so it was some time before we saddled up to head over to Cropthorne and Bricklehampton. That headwind was causing problems. We had some small respite until we rode the ramp through Great Comberton where hindrance came from gravity and the wind. We encountered the same problems ramping up to Strensham where we could see rain storms over where we were headed. We rode into it but paused at Ryall to let it blow through before taking the standard flood dodge to Brotheridge Green and home. It had been a fairly tough ride at times. Pete and I both survived tho'. Despite that wind we had some lovely bright weather most of the time. Just that one wet glitch near the end. 53 smiles

pjd57

Veteran
Busy morning so didn't get out till the afternoon.
Quick trip to local Asda on the hybrid , only one pannier bag required.

Then CX out and down onto the canal and headed to Clydebank.
Family visit , then onto the path along the Clydeside towards the city. Kelvingrove, and up the Kelvin back to Maryhill.
I think everyone who owns a dog was out at half 3 . Slow going in places , but it was a nice afternoon.
19 miles in total
IMG_20180125_141601417.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally - some good weather and a day off combined. Still some filthy road conditions out there so I used my Cube for a slowish meander arouund the local villages and the first 50 miler of the year. Yet another bike to clean tomorrow and the third puncture of the past fortnight picked up in Ipswich.
Nacton Church and the route below.
Nacton Church.jpg

Thursday.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A much better day today weather-wise so I got out again. I'd have liked to do a longer one today but am needed to help shift some furniture shortly so settled for a 30 miler. Route was Condover, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Walcot, Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover and home.

No incidents to report this time which was very nice and the light wind (behind me at the start) meant I made surprisingly good progress (surprised me at least). It would have been nice if the roads had been dry too - something to look forward to when the Spring comes round.

Once again there were a few other cyclists out and about. Always a nice sight on a winter ride.

31 miles at 14.1 mph average. Very chuffed with that at this time of year.

DSC0005776.jpg

The Wrekin which had a cap of cloud on its summit today.

DSC0005777.jpg

The flood plain doing its job at Atcham.

Having joined the half century challenge and with time running out as I struggled back to fitness after an end of year break, the weather said this was the day to bite the bullet. The legs on the other hand........

With the legs in mind I planned a flat route around the Wirral Circular Trail which I would probably never normally do but it's flat, scenic, a large portion off road and doable at current stamina levels.

So off down the coast on a beautiful sunny day

IMG_20180126_101312964.jpg

IMG_20180126_102356848.jpg

The Four Bridges are still shut as they replace one of the main bridges which is supposed to be done at the end of this month but seeing as the new bridge is still parked on dry land with scaffolding up, I think it may take longer. Picking my way through Birkenhead and along the East Coast is the bit that has never appealed to me and indeed it's faffy and industrial, so it was with some relief I finally got to Eastham after a few wrong turns and slight diversions to avoid a soggy field path alongside the Mersey.

Once through Eastham you rejoin the Wirral Way at Hooton, which was welcome as I was flagging by then on current fitness levels and a welcome break was taken at Parkgate as I was getting a bit famished.

IMG_20180126_124710492.jpg

A short 7 miles back for me after that but on tired legs that was far enough. Not particularly fast but with a lot of faffy turns, a large part off road on shared paths and in January, good enough for me. Beer later....

https://www.strava.com/activities/1376091597

Top Bottom