Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Presumably Halfords stick the cycling department upstairs to make it harder for someone to nick a bike.

That would make sense.
However my local branch always has a selection of bikes downstairs near the main tills, and one day some ruffians walked in, cut the single cable securing them all and rode off into the sunset on four of them :eek: (although they left the Apollo ones behind for some reason) ^_^
Now the bikes are double locked and all have flat tyres...

D

Deleted member 1258

A short ride out to Ullesthorpe this morning, lovely ride out in the dry with a tail wind, a tad damp on the way back into a head wind, I got in parked my bike, stepped out of my clothes and stepped into the shower. 35 rather damp miles for the ride.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today's ride was a tandem ride with a twist. We are in Seville for a few days for Mrs Dave's birthday.
We'd intended to hire 2 solo bikes, but their version of the Boris bike were proving difficult to release! So we hired a decent white tandem
53BE0049-C981-4068-8469-9D4412621DEA.JPG

We headed along the river for Plaza de España on a good network of cycle lanes(for pedestrians to blunder into)
We reached the Plaza and had a look around
IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

It was certainly a spectacle. Each region of Spain has its own section . We watched a bit of flamenco, and a willow warbler catching flies.

Then we cycled through the city to the cathedral. Jo ade us stop for lunch at a honey pot, but then realised the menu was expensive and crap! We rode for 5 minutes through the back streets no I found us a little local place. We had pigs cheeks, chick peas in spinach, broad beans and bacon and patatas bravas. Jo drank sherry, I had a couple of small beers. The tandem waited next to something bigger and stronger, but less cool
IMG_0293.JPG

We then crossed the river into Triana. We mooched through the neighbourhoods, avoiding some decent potholes!

Back across the river and another stop at a riverside bar for a drink and more tapas. What a life! Sat under the sun and blue skies.

I suppose it was only a 10 mile ride, and it took about 5 hours, but it was tapas that counted today, not speed!

Attachments

• IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 39
D

Deleted member 1258

Today's ride was a tandem ride with a twist. We are in Seville for a few days for Mrs Dave's birthday.
We'd intended to hire 2 solo bikes, but their version of the Boris bike were proving difficult to release! So we hired a decent white tandem
View attachment 393472
We headed along the river for Plaza de España on a good network of cycle lanes(for pedestrians to blunder into)
We reached the Plaza and had a look around
View attachment 393473
View attachment 393475
View attachment 393476
View attachment 393477
View attachment 393478

It was certainly a spectacle. Each region of Spain has its own section . We watched a bit of flamenco, and a willow warbler catching flies.

Then we cycled through the city to the cathedral. Jo ade us stop for lunch at a honey pot, but then realised the menu was expensive and crap! We rode for 5 minutes through the back streets no I found us a little local place. We had pigs cheeks, chick peas in spinach, broad beans and bacon and patatas bravas. Jo drank sherry, I had a couple of small beers. The tandem waited next to something bigger and stronger, but less cool
View attachment 393479
We then crossed the river into Triana. We mooched through the neighbourhoods, avoiding some decent potholes!

Back across the river and another stop at a riverside bar for a drink and more tapas. What a life! Sat under the sun and blue skies.

I suppose it was only a 10 mile ride, and it took about 5 hours, but it was tapas that counted today, not speed!

That looks lovely, and a happy birthday to your good lady

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With the BBC, the Met Office and yr.no arguing amongst themselves about what todays forecast was, I just decided to go for a ride on the Giant and see what happened.
I noticed that the front tyre needed a bit of air so with no idea what the shop had inflated the tyres to when I bought the bike I pumped them up to 100/110 psi F/R, based on nothing more scientific than that's what I run the Gators on the other bike at. More on this later.

It wasn't as cold as recently, which was nice, but it was grey and overcast as I headed up Coal Road, then the usual wiggle on Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane to take me to Shadwell, then carried on generally upwards to Slaid Hill lights, right, through the dip and up onto Tarn Lane to Ling Lane and Scarcroft, then down the A58, turning right again just after the lights and dropping down some more before climbing Hellwood (Scarcroft Hill) and emerging on Milner Lane for a wind assisted whizz between the hedgerows.
I thought I was setting a decent speed along there, but was soon passed by a pair of racing snakes. This prompted me to get the hammer down (it's a very small hammer) to try and stay with them for a bit of fun but it soon became apparent that wasn't happening :laugh:
Half a mile or so on further one of them had stopped to fettle his bike (all good - his mate said he was just getting his excuses in early ^_^), so I was still the first of us to East Rigton :okay:
Compton Lane was a mudfest (again) so I took it steady along there, before dropping down Jewitt Lane. Spotting a horse and rider coming up the hill while being overtaken by a 4x4, I pulled in to the side of the lane to let them through, locking the back wheel up in the process. That woke me up. :eek:
Down the hill taking it steady, before plunging into Collingham, along School Lane and getting a gap in traffic to cross the A58 without stopping.
Left on the A659 for the short run to Linton Road, getting idiot pass #1 of the day from an ass in an Audi who did a MGIF, then moved left across me to set himself up to turn right. I locked the back wheel up again then...:dry:
Anyhow, onto Linton Road, across the bridge and into the village where after a bit of up and downery I stopped for a couple of photos:
IMG_20180127_091820666_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180127_091924277.jpg

The sign on the ecclesiastical looking building on the left says "Linton Church", but it's a private residence now.
Back on the road and more ups and downs eventually saw me on the fringes of Wetherby, where I took the Spofforth Road as it climbs out of town. Fortunately my adrenaline levels were kept high my two more close passes so I soon reached the top of the hill...
Crossing the boundary into Harrogate there is a nice wide, well surfaced, sweeping downhill section that takes you almost all the way to Stockeld Park,but today the farmer was harvesting spuds from the adjacent fields and even with a road sweeper in attendance the road was filthy with mud.
Guess what? Yep, locked the back wheel up again as I wobbled across the first of this, but by a stroke of luck there were no cars about as I descended the rest of the hill so I was able to sit in the dry strip near the centre of the road until I reached some clean tarmac.
Up the hill into Spofforth, then right and along the causeway before taking another right for the ups and downs to Kirk Deighton, where it started raining. Not heavily, but definitely raining. I was cycling into the wind now as I headed for Wetherby.
Through there and across the A1(M) bridge and on the always busy road past the racecourse before heading down to Thorp Arch, adding on the diversion along Dowkell Lane and Long Causeway before crossing the bridge and up the hill into Boston Spa.
From there it's familiar roads to Clifford, where the chippy was getting ready to open, then down the hill to Bramham and up and across the A1(M) again before taking the long route via Milner Lane to Thorner, then Carr Lane, the A58 and Coal Road before hitting local roads down to home.

36.03 miles (57.98km) in 2h 42m at an average of 13.3mph with 1,883ft climbed and a tropical average temperature of 3.2°C

So, a decent ride (and my longest ride so far this year) that not even a bit of rain and some motorised muppetry could spoil. Having pumped the tyres up the ride was firmer, although not ruinously so but I've not had a problem with the standard Giant Gavia Race tyres locking previously, so I think I'll drop the pressures by 10psi F/R and see if that improves things. The sidewall gives a range of 85-115psi so I've got plenty to play with.
Lots of cyclists about today, which is always a good thing.

The forecast for tomorrow is equally vague so I'll see what it looks like when I open the curtains.

And to end, the map:
27012018.JPG

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My son & I rode the Jack & Grace Cotton 100 Audax today. The ride goes up to the west of the M5 between north Bristol and Gloucester and returns mostly on the east of the M5. The thing about this is that west of the M5 it is all flat - the Severn floodplain - but east, it is far from flat. And there was a headwind and rain on the return leg. We had a great stop at Tortworth Farm shop though, they had a gazebo stuffed with cakes and sausages and suchlike and did a fantastic job of catering for 188 cyclists who finished the ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1377931172

colly

Re member eR
So with a bit of time to myself I headed out. East and through Cross Gates (always entertaining) down the A63 and turned left to go around the rear end of Garforth and on out towards Lotherton. I turned left and north to Aberford and intended to carry on and make for Bramham and Wetherby. For some reason in Aberford I turned right towards Lotheron again. I don't know why, but there it is.
Instant change of plan and turned right again at Lotherton Gates back towards Garforth and a sharp left to Micklefield.
I was now on the Great North Road. Tha old A1 as was. This would at one time been crammed with lorries, vans and cars puking diesel and 4 star fumes, roaring and reving, rumbling and shuffling through, all day and most of the night. Now the traffic is shunted a few hundred yards to the east where the A1M runs. Out of sight and almost out of mind.
The old A1 is now a well metalled wide road, winding quietly through town and village. Between Micklefield and the turn for Allerton Bywater there was maybe 2 or 3 cars a minute, if that. Micklefield has never been what could be described a pictureque village but now at least it has a more human, peaceful air about it.
The wide straight road carried me south. Directly in front of me were the 8 massive cooling towers of Ferrybridge Power Station. Not exactly a pretty sight but they have a magnificent industrial grandeur all their own. To my left and east I could see Eggborough power station and further east Drax powerstation with it's 801ft chimney stretching up from the flat landscape. The chimney, I understand can, be seen on a clear day from parts of Kent.
A right and west turn took me through Fairburn and past the Fairburn Ings nature Reserve :
https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/fairburn-ings
Into Allerton Bywater and on to Great Preston where to road climbs up until you eventually pass through Little Preston. Even on a bike if you blink, you miss it.
Into the unfortunately named Swillington, down the where the River Aire passes on it's way to the sea, then up behind Temple Newsham to the busy Thorp Park/Colton roundabout and follow my nose back home.
Cold when I set off but by the time I got home I was well over-dressed.

About 30 miles with 1600ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20350076

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Went out his morning and claimed a cheeky few miles to the East of Ipswich. Near Levington, I had another rider try to 'claim' me and I'm afraid I waited to when he was within sniffing distance of my rear wheel before increasing the speed. (Do cyclists ever grow up?)

I didn't stop for any pics, but I thought you all might be entertained by a pic of the dinner I cooked this evening. (I calculate that for at least 31 years I have been in search of the recipe for The Perfect Roast Potato and have finally found it via the medium of beef dripping. I believe one is supposed to have an intake of a carbs before a 'possible' ride the next day. That's true, isn't it? :whistle:)

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 31

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 5126856, member: 9609"]Not sure if Ice studs would help with this or not.[/QUOTE]
They do only to a certain extend, if it's a straight road slightly uphill and if you never need to stop :laugh:

Instant change of plan and turned right again at Lotherton Gates back towards Garforth and a sharp left to Micklefield.
I was now on the Great North Road. Tha old A1 as was. This would at one time been crammed with lorries, vans and cars puking diesel and 4 star fumes, roaring and reving, rumbling and shuffling through, all day and most of the night. Now the traffic is shunted a few hundred yards to the east where the A1M runs. Out of sight and almost out of mind

The old A1 is now a well metalled wide road, winding quietly through town and village. Between Micklefield and the turn for Allerton Bywater there was maybe 2 or 3 cars a minute, if that. Micklefield has never been what could be described a pictureque village but now at least it has a more human, peaceful air about it.

Yes, it's quite the backwater now
Micklefield. 6.JPG Micklefield. 11.JPG Micklefield. 13.JPG Micklefield. 18.JPG Micklefield. Milepost. Old Alignment. 2.JPG Micklefield. Trade Route. 1.JPG Micklefield. Trade Route. 2.JPG Micklefield. Trade Route. 3.JPG

Micklefield. Village Marker.JPG

Top Bottom