Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Two rides to tell. On Friday someone released the gremlins

Not the best ride out today, the usual preamble leading to Cardigan Road, climb away from Headingley and just before the Ring Road the back tyre grew an egg big enough to stop the wheel turning. Hmm, let enough wind out of the tyre so the wheel would roll and then push the bike the 5.74 miles home. No fun at all. Ordered some spare tyres once home.

But the 'orrible things were elsewhere today, so I did this.

Still waiting for the new tyres, as expected, so wheeled out the fixed for a ride today. A bit brave really, both bikes run the same make and model tyres. Still, warmer than of late with a few grey clouds, I am off for a ride.

Twenty nine miles cycled today. Started misty but dry, sort of average Holbeck really, and by the time Office lock was reached it was obvious that the wind was blowing a bit. Ride the towpath all the short way to Viaduct Road. Cross the river and start that long, long ascent to Headingley, short flat road and then up again on the A 660 to the Ring Road. Just before there is where Friday’s ride stopped, the little roundabout at Kepston Road. Might just christen it something appropriate . . .

Some time about there the light drizzle put on some weight. Just enough to obscure much chance of seeing a lot, though the A 660 is not noted for its panoramic views inside the Leeds boundary. Anyway, along to Bramhope, the rugby pitches were being used, and the audiences sounded as if they were enjoying that. The higher the road became the less the visibility was. Through the village and up that little rise starting at the church, felt as if I was inside the cloud just then. The lights at the Dyneley Arms persuaded me to have the fun ride down Pool Bank, just a decimal point shy of 30 mph ( OK, 29.6 ) there, not bad for me on the fixed, not bad at all. Along the bottom of the valley to Otley, this is such a familiar ride, but the breeze was in my face so more effort was needed. As I rode into Otley, not only more effort but also more rain. No problem, a couple of left turns and the wind is on my back as I start the ride up Leeds Road. All the way, comfortably, to Headingley. Turn right, drop to Kirkstall and back to the towpath for the last five miles back. Still loads of fun, rain cannot stop that.
No video today, a bit grim and grey out there . . .

28012018.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
No, I'd have waved back, now I know what you look like.

It was someone not unsimilar to your good self I think but not an exact match. Your ride looks to have been rather lumpy. That's the Forest for sure. Good stuff.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A shortish one today in the wind. After studying the map for ages deciding where to go I thought about Melverley, until it was pointed out to me that there might be flooding out that way, so Iplayed it safe and stayed fairly local.

Lyth Hill Condover, Ryton, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Eaton Mascott, Berrington, Boreton, Condover and Lyth Hill again was what I settled on as a route and it worked out fairly well.

At the start the wind didn't seem too bad. I got over the hill and made slow but steady progress southwards, overtaking a couple on bikes on the way to Ryton. At Longnor I turned so the wind was behind me and got quite a boost as it whisked me along to Acton Burnell at 18-20 mph much of the way.

It was still helping me to Cound Moor where there is a lovely dead straight mile or so of road that's also slightly downhill in this direction. I wound the speed up gently and found myself cruising along at an easy 26mph:hyper: until it was spoiled by having to slow for an oncoming car.

I thought I'd pay for it as I swung round to head to Harnage, but apparently not today and the climb was as easy as if it was calm. :scratch: It was similar at Cound where in theory I was turning directly into the wind but it seemed to be sheltered. I knew I wouldn't get away with it if I took my usual route back to Pitchford though so went the undulating way through Eaton Mascott and up to Berrington instead to put the moment off for a bit.

I had to turn into the wind eventually and I felt the full effect of it on the way to Boreton where I could only manage 9-10 mph on the flat (the Met Office says the wind was 26 mph gusting to 39 mph while I was out which would explain it). The rest of the way was mostly against the wind or hilly.

24.7 miles this time at 13.7 mph average which I'm pretty pleased with in the conditions.

No photos today as I was concentrating on the ride.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With the weather guesscasters still unable to agree, I waited until it stopped raining this morning and went out at about 9:20 on the Giant into what looked like brightening skies.

with the wind blowing from the south west, I inevitably ended up on Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and the usual suspects to Shadwell, but once there I turned down the hill and enjoyed the descent almost all the way back to the A58 where that sharp rise keeps you honest.
Straight across and onto Carr Lane to head into Thorner in a reversal of my normal route along here. And it's actually quite nice, with more down than up - apart from the hill where the S-bends are.
Stopped by the Mexborough Arms to adjust my front light which was rattling like a rattly thing and almost took a photo, but decided not to as I had an idea for a better one further on. Past the church and up Church Hill, for the steady drop to Bramham Park, then to big dip through Wothersome and the lung busting climb up the other side. I'd had a bit of wind assistance along here, but the second I turned into Thorner Lane it was in my face and for a second nearly stopped me. Blimey, I wasn't expecting that!
Nothing for it but to drop down the gears and grind it out, and then it started raining :rolleyes: not too bad at first but by the time I climbed out of the dip it was coming down, to the point where a bit further on I needed to stop and put my waterproof jacket on.
The phone stayed nicely tucked away out of the rain so no pic, but here's a library photo of what it didn't look like today (the more observant readers might notice it's a different bike too...): ;)
IMG_20170813_093246565_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Anyway, jacket wrestled on, it was off again and left on Milner Lane for a thankfully sheltered run between the hedges and down the hill back into Thorner.
I had a burst of madness and decided that rather than ride up Carr Lane into the wind I'd tackle Van Zyl Hill (Sandhills) head on, so straight through the village, over the bridge and a mile of up awaited.
To be fair it was fairly sheltered from the breeze and I made it to the top without incident, turning onto Skeltons Lane and getting an unexpected breather at a set of temporary traffic lights, before turning onto Coal Road and the local roads down to home, just as the rain stopped...

15.51 miles (24.96km) in 1h 13m at an average of just 12.7mph with 784ft of climbing

That wind was a killer on the return leg though, according to the Met Office it was gusting at 31mph which I can well believe. But as always it was good to get out and there were a few cyclists about - the majority on MTB's joining the bridleways together judging by the mud on them. ^_^

And to end, the map:
28012018.JPG

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I took a detour on the way to the pub on Pasty #3 The Hybrid for this Sunday's afternoon session. For a short while (about 400 metres) I was followed by someone who courteously informed/yelled he was 'on my wheel' as he wouldn't mind taking a breather as I was 'unexpectedly' going 'rather fast'.
He seemed a little disappointed that I intended to turn off and head towards a pub. ^_^

I managed to stop for a quick pic at Westerfield.

1.JPG

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A nice solo bimble down to Camber Sands today for a full English on the beach. It wasn't cold and it wasn't raining. However the Kent lanes were so very mucky. Filthy filthy. Not helping when I got a rear puncture on the way down. Small flint in tyre. But managed to patch the tube without taking the wheel off the bike or the whole inner tube out, getting absolutely filthy on the process.

I'm still working off the Xmas excesses so the ride as a whole was a little harder then usual. But a nice ride never the less.

Imperial Century #2 for the year, 230 over all.
280118.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A nice solo bimble down to Camber Sands today for a full English on the beach. It wasn't cold and it wasn't raining. However the Kent lanes were so very mucky. Filthy filthy. Not helping when I got a rear puncture on the way down. Small flint in tyre. But managed to patch the tube without taking the wheel off the bike or the whole inner tube out, getting absolutely filthy on the process.

I'm still working off the Xmas excesses so the ride as a whole was a little harder the usual. But a nice ride never the less.

Imperial Century #2 for the year, 230 over all.
View attachment 393669

More than 15mph over more than 100 miles is some 'bimble'.

Didn't you cop any headwind?

I did, like most of us today.

Yes, it's quite the backwater now

Why so many photographs of the 'GNR'?
It's one of my little hobbies, that is the stretch that runs (mainly) from RedHouse, up to Wetherby

https://www.facebook.com/richard.a....0206985822756312.1073741863.1601508436&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/richard.a....0207043223551296.1073741864.1601508436&type=3

Mr Celine

Discordian
No cycling was planned for today as Mrs Celine had arranged an outing to some sort of son et lumiere type event at Edinburgh zoo. That got cancelled due to forecast high winds so I nipped out for a quick 30 miles.
I should have taken the time to look at my outdoor thermometer before setting out. On return it showed it was 9 C warmer than it had been on Friday's ride. I was somewhat overdressed, but fortunately managed to find some snow to cool off with.

IMG_20180128_152004.jpg

Note @Elysian_Roads the snow is still in situ.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride, posted today!
A few of us had planned a Saturday ride, but the weather was a bit dodgy, so I suggested a morning ride today as I had to be home for granddaughters birthday party in the afternoon.

IMG_4755.JPG

One chap was interested in the old Dad's Army gun emplacement in Newton Blossomville, so that was the excuse for the route I'd planned. Grendon, Eastern Maudit, Bozeat and Carlton, then Turvey to find the gun emplacement.

IMG_4759.JPG

Any German invaders would have been quaking in their boots to be faced with these defences, I reckon!! :ph34r:
Loads of photos getting taken :laugh:

IMG_4766.JPG

From here, we headed towards Emberton and Tyringham as a route to Salcey Forest for coffee, cake and a sausage roll.

We were only 10 or so miles from home by now, so we added a few more miles towards Cogenhoe before getting back on route to home.

44 miles for Bob and I, 57 for Dev as he had to pedal to and from t'other side of town for the ride.

Warm but blustery weather, making me think I should have worn shorts instead of longs!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1379502114

:smile:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well, that's 50km point in the bag! (At some point I'm going to pop in some 50 milers to build up my stamina for a planned tour around Suffolk this summer.) I went down to Felixstowe again, with a detour to Newbourne to make up the distance and was, once again, practically blown to a stand-still on a couple of occasions. Still, a great start to the week.
This at Felixstowe.
2.JPG

Top Bottom