Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Damp and very windy ride this morning, headed towards the Severn Bridge but decided not to cross and went to see what was at Whale Wharf instead.... Not a lot ( see picture below ).

From there I went for a coffee & some Welsh cakes in Coffee#1 in Thornbury.

Back via Tytherington and Iron Acton. So good to be out after a week off the bike.

IMG_20180129_101937.jpg

IMG_20180129_170410.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wasn't expecting to get out today but a window of opportunity appeared so I took it.

Just a quick one: Lyth Hill, Condover, Cross Houses, Atcham, through Attingham Park, Upton Magna, Uffington, a roundabout route through Shrewsbury and into The Quarry then home.

After rain early in the day it was fabulous sunshine out, but a bit colder than yesterday. I'd have been better off doing this route in the opposite direction really as I had the wind against me for much of the ride. Never mind, it was a nice ride anyway if a little muddy.

Attingham Park is always a nice detour and looked great in the sunshine. The towpath in Shrewsbury is still gated off so I went past the prison then along Smithfield Road (filtering past the slow traffic ^_^) before taking to The Quarry which was fairly busy with people out walking.

21.9 miles at 13 mph average.

DSC0005779.jpg

The Mytton and Mermaid at Atcham. You can just see that someone keen is sat out in the garden with a beer.

DSC0005780.jpg

In Attingham Park.

DSC0005781.jpg

White water at the weir. The river has gone down a bit since I was last here.

DSC0005782.jpg

Shrewsbury Gaol (locally known as the Dana) which is now awaiting a new purpose having been decommissioned. It's currently hosting a childrens play centre. :huh:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 planned a ride. It would be rude to refuse to join in wouldn't it? She wanted to visit a friend in Ledbury and fancied a bit of a ride there. So we took to Castlemorton, Rye Street and then an unusual dodge to Berrow. Now we rode via Clencher's Mill for Ledbury. We parted there and I headed out of town for Staplow but turned for Peg's Farm and Coddington to check out the crocus. They are up but need some sunshine to open even tho' they were bathed in late afternoon sunshine. I stopped at Coddington Cross to see if I had time to go the longer way home. I chatted with a chap who was out for a run. He'd been very ill and almost crippled for 15 months and was slowly improving and getting back some fitness. Good for him I told him. Well done for sure. I headed for Mathon and Longley Green where the Leigh Brook lead me homeward in a standard fashion. As I rode the final mile or two it was nice to see something of a sunset over the Hills. Nice wee outing today for sure. 43 smiles

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A day of short Brompton ambles for me today. SWMBO had a slow p*ncture on her car, and after I found a nail in it she headed to KakFit on Saturday. After attempting to rip her off for £102 for a new tyre she lost it with the idiots and told them to refit the tyre. A visit to our local independent this morning, £10 changed hands and tyre repaired:smile:. Dropped missus @ work, Brompton home, a bit of decorating, then a 6 mile amble around Egham & Staines on the Brommie again as I couldn't be bothered to 'proper' cycling clothes on.
Evening commute to work tonight was nice, though the forecast says 0 degrees in the morning:cold: Glad I bought a hat.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another trip out today. Having been watching the forecast it looked good to try something a bit longer today as it was expected to be dry with light winds. I missed out on a ride to Ellesmere earlier in the month when other things got in the way, so headed out to make up for that.

I thought I'd try and make it a metric century so extended it a bit by heading to Condover, Acton Burnell and Cressage first then heading north through Wroxeter, Upton Magna, Roden, Shawbury and Wem then a new route along the lanes to Ellesmere and back the most direct way through Lower Hordley, Baschurch, Montford Bridge and round the Edge of Shrewsbury.

I woke up to a frost on the ground so put on plenty of layers in anticipation of a cold ride. I was on gritted roads mostly to start with and hoped it would warm up enough for there not to be any ice by the time I got to the quieter lanes.

Having got on reasonably well I had a break between Roden and Shawbury for a bite to eat and was surprised at how quickly I started to feel chilled. It took a good mile after that to start to warm up again but the muscles felt tired and it was a struggle to keep up the pace from that point onwards.

From Wem I followed my usual back road route to Northwood then tried a change which I hoped would avoid an extremely muddy section near Welshampton. This took me along some lanes that I think would look quite pretty in the spring and summer, and it did turn out to be fairly mud-free. There was a bit more climbing involved, particularly at one point where the road put me in mind of a rollercoaster as it dropped suddenly into a steep valley and I had to push hard to get up the other side.

Having passed through Ellesmere I took another food break near Lower Hordley and again was surprised at how quickly I got cold despite having three fleeces on. The wind didn't seem to be light any more and I was finding it an effort just to keep moving. I thought it might just be that I was unusually fatigued until I was passing a farmhouse and noticed that the washing they had out on the line was blowing horizontally.... So much for the forecast of light winds.:whistle:

Things didn't improve so progress seemed quite pedestrian back through Baschurch to Montford Bridge where I was fortunate that the climb over the hill to Bicton seemed to be sheltered.

Seeing another cyclist ahead spurred me on a bit and I managed to slowly reel him in, until he turned off just before I caught up in Shrewsbury. Typical.:laugh:

68.1 miles for the day at 13.1 mph average which surprises me given how slow I was towards the end.

I wasn't really in the mood for photography today so just grabbed a few snaps to prove I've been out:

DSC0005783.jpg

At Viroconium (Wroxeter). About 17 miles into the ride.

DSC0005784.jpg

Elevenses stop en route to Shawbury.

DSC0005785.jpg

Dry and clean roads between Wem and Northwood.:hyper: I'd almost forgotten what these look like.

DSC0005786.jpg

View from my lunch stop. It was blooming cold in the wind by now. Looking it up, the Met Office says the wind was 2 to 6 mph while it was a tailwind but 14 to 16 mph later on when I was riding directly into it.:dry: I think the weather doesn't like me.

DSC0005787.jpg

Somehow the bike manages to look quite clean in most of my recent photos. This is the shocking truth though.:ohmy:

gavgav

Guru
After another weekend where a ride wasn’t possible due to the crappy wind and rain, I managed a short ride after work tonight.

It was nice to set off when it wasn’t fully dark, can’t wait until the proper light evenings are back. There was a fair breeze blowing from the South West, which meant it was hard going as far as Dad’s house, via Bayston Hill, the mud fest of a track over Lyth Hill and Exfords Green.

The lane between Exfords Green and Dad’s was extraordinarily busy, and I met 2 large lorries, an ambulance and about 30 cars, where I would normally see about 5. Something must have happened on the nearby A49, me thinks, meaning traffic was diverting off?

Had a chat to Dad for 15 minutes and then had the wind behind me for a much quicker trip home via Ryton, Condover and Betton Abbots.

15.3 miles, which means a total of only 68 miles for January, a very poor start to 2018!

Hoping February will be better, starting with hopefully my Challenge Ride at the weekend.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Got 17 miles in this morning in the sun before a spell of part-time work and went out to Kirton. Had a twit-bully perform the apparently deliberate 'trick' of pulling into the cycle lane just as I'm about to pass. (I occasionally get this happening when over-taking a line of traffic on the right hand side - either when on motorbike or cycle. I gestured my opinion.:whistle:)

Took this near Kirton - I feel it has a bleak winter look about it that I like.

2.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well I had to drive to work today, so I thought I'd treat myself to a night ride on my MTB this evening.

Off out with more lights than Blackpool, past the pub and a right turn on to the fields. I didn't get far.... it had been churned up by a vehicle, and it was claggy, gloopy and slippy (that well known firm of solicitors) I decided against off road in the dark in all that crap.

I just did a loop around Toft and Caldecote. 8.5 miles. Never mind!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1383364008

On page 1,080 I wrote..................

Today, I only really had a ride over to the Barbers, as I've not been for about 10 weeks, & it was well over collar-length
So, I just potterered there, with no aim in particular 'post trim'
Dawn, my Barber. is an Apiarist, so has her honey for sale
I keep meaning to buy some, but end up forgetting

I just headed back towards Outwood, via Rooks Nest Road, & photographed these 2 buildings
Bumped into, not literally!!, a 90 owning friend of mine, so had a chat with him

Home, past work, along Bar Lane, over the roundabout I circumnavigate whenever I ride to work, which when wet is invariably greasy as hell!!
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2740854

Down along the new 'Eastern Relief Road' & eventually onto Ferry Lane, opposite the playing fields, which are filled in reservoirs (only shallow) and Victoria Colliery

I had a slight detour onto Water Lane, alongside DunBriik. to have a look at the site of the lifted, & removed, swing-bridge (Ramsdens Bridge that seems to have been locked open for years
It seems that it's being replaced, even if not with a vehicular bridge, as before
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5379
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2935983

A bit out of focus
DSCF4269.JPG

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A gentle 12.5 miles last night as i have been itching to get out on my Viner Maxima and have a play with the di2 system

First dozen or so gear changes were rough as i kept pressing the wrong way but soon got used to it and pressed on .

Then a fine drizzle started and i didnt want it to melt under neath me so started to head home

Overall quite impressed by it just need a few more miles in the bank to get a true feeling so roll on a dry Saturday

As I wrote on page 1,080
Tues/Wed = days-off next week
Plus, Thur/Fri = annual-leave

I'm sure I'll get a ride I'm
(although I do know a new front parlour carpet is being laid one of the days)
Yesterday was a short ride, as written about above
Today, we moved all the furniture out of the room, & ripped the old carpet/underlay up
Then I took carpet/'lay to the local Council tip (further away, at Cutsyke, now they've closed Welbeck)

In the early afternoon, I drove my father-in-law, up to Church Fenton, as the daughter's having a few 'pre-17' driving lessons, on the old airfield there (the old RAF base, now Leeds East Airport) on Sunday, as both Joanne & I are both busy (I'll be at work)

Tomorrow, I think f-in-l, will be here for the carpet, so........ maybe a ride?

Friday....... fingers crossed!!

Old jon

Guru
It was cold outside this morning, but dry. I am enough of a wimp that I do not usually ride if the temperature is less than five degrees, but yesterday my new back tyre arrived for the Ellis Briggs. Had to ride!

It was not easy to think of a route, really. I rode away from home in the direction of Holbeck, yet again. OK, let’s aim for the Oakwood Clock. From there, or more accurately the Ring Road and the A 58, different journeys are available. After climbing Boot Hill of course. Leeds Bridge is one way traffic for the foreseeable, town centre traffic is now diverted along just the road I want to use. I used the road anyway. Showery, windy weather, not enough to really be uncomfortable and it was a tailwind mostly. Along to Whin Moor Lane which leads to Shadwell, and once there turn left along Main Street. I had warmed up by this time and had vague thoughts of thirty miles for the morning. Almost did that, 29.1 according to Garmin. At Slaid Hill lights I turned right for the wonderful ride along Wyke Ridge Lane, which changes name a few times on the way along to East Keswick.

From this side, the village is a climb all the way through, and the legs really knew it this morning. Nothing to do with the climbing prior to this of course, or my lack of practice. Anyway, there follows a drop to the A 659, which provides more descent along the way to Collingham. The left turn to Linton, across the repaired bridge, did tempt me for a very short while. I resisted that, turned left when I reached the A 58 again and masochistically turned right a short distance further on for the climb of Jewitt Lane. Some optimist is building a large house just after the top of the first bit, so the advert seemed to say. I wonder if a ski lift is included? Turn right onto Compton Lane and the weather was clear enough to enjoy the views to the north, although too cold to encourage stopping to look longer. All the way to East Rigton, a left turn or two to Holme Farm Lane which eventually reaches Milner Lane and the twisty downhillery to Thorner. With the sun squarely in my eyes. Interesting.

Through, and up, Sandhills and the right turn onto Skeltons Lane, where the wind almost stopped forward motion for a stretch. That improved, across Coal Road and turn left when the return to the A 58 is reached. A very easy ride down to the right turn for the clock at Oakwood again, into the town centre and out again pedalling via Hunslet to the warmth of home. Time to defrost the extremities after a very enjoyable ride out.

Maps do not feel the cold

31012018.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M and John B were waiting as I rolled up to the meet. A ride to Stourport was adjusted today as Pete was feeling less able. We looped to Powick and on for Bransford Bridge. We ignored the Mayfly cafe as we headed for Wichenford and Ockeridge where we took the final decision regarding Stouport. So instead we headed for Moseley to return through Wichenford. Thence we looped by King's Green for Martley and a run back towards the Mayfly. Soup and Tea and lots of chat ensued.

Our return looped around a different way for Martley and then up and over for Doddenham. There's no option but to ride the main road to Knightwick but it was fairly quiet today. We took the ramps towards Suckley but turned at The White House and then again to ride over the little used Suckley Hills lane. Emerging at the Leigh Brook we took the standard run back to Newland where Pete collected his car and we said our byes. John and I headed back towards Madresfield but John turned early to head home. I took a bit of a small detour to Guarlford before heading home. I bumped into Ralph R heading the other way so we stopped for a chat. Nice to catch up with Ralph. It had been a very windy day and we'd had some tough headwind sections. Climbing the lumps was noticeable too. Over the last couple of miles the temperature seemed to drop quite a lot. Hope we don't get freezing tonight. 51 smiles.

Top Bottom