Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Couple of rides to report, aside from the purely utilitarian ones that you would find too boring ^_^
Went out on Tuesday with the Glasgow Green Freewheel North cycling hub: the weather was lovely, we had a good time with lots of banter, 18 miles, plus coffee break and a stop in Aldi dispatched in just over 2 hours.
Today was a different story!
The plan was to join the local CamGlen (Cambusland-Rutherglen) hub on their Wednesday ride led by @flyingfifi, leave them in town on the return leg, go to lunch with a friend, then join a Belles short town ride before heading back home.
Woke up to snow showers, which were forecast anyway, prepped Boris the ice bike, went for it!
We had snow, hail, rain, sunshine, wind, all at once, all repeated.
It was freezing!
I made all my commitments, home on just over 23 miles, route Rutherglen-Scotstoun-City Centre tour - Rutherglen.
Took just a couple of pictures while I was waiting under a pagoda near my work, I passed it 3 times today on my day off :laugh:
I took the pictures during a hail shower, wasn't coming out from my shelter for a better view!
I the first picture you can see a bit of the Armadillo theater, across it the Hydro, a concert venue.
Both building, together with the Exhibition Centre, form the SEC, the Scottish Events Campus, formally named SECC. Scottish Exhibition and Conference centre :wacko:
A popular cycling route passes across the campus, hence the reason I passed it so many times.
The second picture shows the famous Glasgow crane, the Squinty bridge, the STV studios over the water. The red(ish) building behind the crane is the new Radisson Red Hotel, due to open in a few months.
IMG_20180131_151719518.jpg IMG_20180131_151752345.jpg

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
It has been cold and snowing again the past few days, but today it was dry and a bit above freezing (about 38°F, or 3°C). I had worked a 12 hour shift today and had a rough week in general, and just wanted a bit of a destress; so at 11:30 at night I got all suited up and ventured out for a ride!

It was cloudy, and a beautiful night with no wind. There were more cars out tonight than I had seen previously on my night excursions, but almost all of them were very courteous and gave me plenty of space (just one came quite close, I was in the bike lane so maybe he thought the 3ft law doesn't apply in lanes?!) I went around the usual route I had done a couple of times now, down along the park and past the school, and I am proud to say that I made it up the very steep hill there without getting off and walking at all!

I also felt confident enough that instead of turning around and coming back down home the way I came like I had before, I made it into a circuit by taking the large main roads back. They are very well lit and the one has a bike lane that was mostly free of snow, but there are potholes bigger than me in a few places. Along this way it is mostly flat and straight, unlike the neighborhood roads, so I found an ideal gear and comfortable cadence for flat riding and it felt good! I also figured out that my balaclava doesn't fog up my glasses if I leave it down under my nose... my nose just gets cold. All in all not a huge ride at 5 miles but a good ride nonetheless! Any time it is not icy I plan on doing at least this little circuit every night now and hopefully more as I get more time and endurance.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I had to collect a parcel from ASDA today which was the perfect excuse to cycle it. A short 21km, but thoroughly enjoyable (with one exception).

I took all the back village roads to avoid the traffic, but still had one numpty - I’m cycling downhill quite slowly as I’m behind a learner driver 50m from a roundabout. Some racer in a 1.1 Corsa decides it wants to overtake me (my front wheel is about 1.5m off the back of the learner’s car in front at this point). I’m forced to hit the brakes and swerve to the side of the road so the car doesn’t wipe me out. :cursing:

After I’d stopped yelling at the driver (even though she couldn’t hear me). I carried on home without any other eventualities.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
New month new challenge ride. With a busy month lined up I thought it might be a good idea to get the Imperial Century Challenge ride in early so after some very quick planning got out on the road at about 7 to rack up some miles.

Having already racked up 115 miles in other rides this week I played it safe with a not too hilly route round the north of the county, heading to Condover initially then across to Pontesbury, Minsterley, Westbury and Melverley. Apart from an annoying close pass early on, things went well until after Pontesbury where I took to the new cycleway to escape the busy traffic only to find that round two of hedge cutting is under way and the path was liberally coated with hawthorn cuttings.:angry: I picked up a thorn in the front tyre but elected to leave it in place in the hope that if it had gone in deep it would plug the hole and maybe I'd get round without having to do a repair.

After Minsterley I paused in a gateway to try and get a photo of the sunrise and at that moment recieved a text saying that a box of sandwiches and cake had been found at home and do I need them? Erm, yes actually.:blush: :blush:

It appeared that my dad was willing to bring them out to me and after discussing options about where to meet I suggested by the bridge at Melverley which was about 10 miles away from me and the least possible amount of driving for him.
And so it was that I ended up stood on the bridge that crosses the border, waiting for a man in an East European car to come and hand over a package to me......... which isn't strange at all.:whistle:

That little debacle sorted out it was on with the ride. After struggling badly on my ride a couple of days ago, this time I elected to ride into the wind at the start and have it helping on the way back. I knew the section from Melverley to Oswestry would be hard going, being into the wind, slightly uphill and more exposed than other parts of the ride. It was, as you might expect, not quick but I paced myself properly and took my time. The biggest problem was how cold the wind was today, making me feel chilled any time I stopped despite a base layer and and four warm layers on top.:ohmy:

Things improved from Gobowen where I turned so the north-westerly wind was helping and I started to make better progress to Ellesmere, Colemere, Lyneal, Northwood, Prees and Ightfield. The wind direction continued to work for me as I headed southwards through Calverhall, Market Drayton, Stoke-on-Tern and eventually to High Ercall.

I felt much better by this stage than last time out but was starting to feel tired and cold as the sun was getting low in the sky so the bitter wind felt more noticable. I carried on to Upton Magna and unlike last time I rode this route decided not to add an extra loop at the end. As I headed through Atcham, Condover and Lyth Hill I made sure I'd got enough to get the distance needed but no finessing this time.

Edit to add: A few other cyclists out and about including one who overtook (with a friendly greeting) and disappeared into the distance like I was stood still. The legend "Pinarello" on the down tube may have had something to do with that.;)

101.59 miles today at 13 mph moving average. Nine and a half hours with all the stops included.

DSC0005789.jpg

The sun rises behind me as I head for Westbury.

DSC0005790.jpg

I didn't know it floods here.:unsure: The flood goes right round the corner and I don't know how deep it's likely to be so decided to go another way round to Westbury.

DSC0005792.jpg

The view from the bridge at Melverley.

DSC0005793.jpg

I want to know what this farm did with this building that it needed such a substantial chimney. Or was it just the landowner showing off his wealth?

DSC0005794.jpg

Elevenses stop at Ellesmere.

DSC0005797.jpg

Nobody sailing at Colemere.... jut for a change.:whistle:

DSC0005799.jpg

Jumping on a bit, the elephant grass is ripe near Market Drayton. Should be harvested fairly soon.

DSC0005802.jpg

View from Lyth Hill with mist forming round the Wrekin.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A solo ride around Cannock MTB trails yesterday (posted late, as per :whistle: )

After a fairly sensible o'clock finish from w*rk on Wednesday evening, I was home by 23:00, in bed by midnight, and fully prepped and fettled for an 05:30 depart for Cannock, 80 miles away.

IMG_4773.jpg

Dawn was breaking as I got ready to ride.. Bit chilly, but not too bad.

My plan was to do the 'Donkey', which, for the uninitiated, is the 'Follow the Dog', then the 'Monkey Trail'.
I've been to Cannock loads of times, on one trail or the other, but decided to do them both this time.

IMG_4776.JPG

The splitting point..

IMG_4780.JPG

Those Eddie Stobart's get everywhere....:laugh:

Every 'Up' deserves a 'Down'!

The Lower Cliff descent is great fun!! The chap at the end of the vid has the wonderful job of wandering around the trails checking for fallen trees and other obstructions.. I could do that and get paid for it ^_^

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

And a coffee at the end.

Untitled.png

Added bonus of a sleet shower as I struggled up Kitbag Hill.

Smashing ride.. cold toes, cold fingers, 20 miles, with just under 2,500' of Up.

Happy days..

:smile:

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Most cromulent Pete !

pjd57

Veteran
Couple of rides to report, aside from the purely utilitarian ones that you would find too boring ^_^
Went out on Tuesday with the Glasgow Green Freewheel North cycling hub: the weather was lovely, we had a good time with lots of banter, 18 miles, plus coffee break and a stop in Aldi dispatched in just over 2 hours.
Today was a different story!
The plan was to join the local CamGlen (Cambusland-Rutherglen) hub on their Wednesday ride led by @flyingfifi, leave them in town on the return leg, go to lunch with a friend, then join a Belles short town ride before heading back home.
Woke up to snow showers, which were forecast anyway, prepped Boris the ice bike, went for it!
We had snow, hail, rain, sunshine, wind, all at once, all repeated.
It was freezing!
I made all my commitments, home on just over 23 miles, route Rutherglen-Scotstoun-City Centre tour - Rutherglen.
Took just a couple of pictures while I was waiting under a pagoda near my work, I passed it 3 times today on my day off :laugh:
I took the pictures during a hail shower, wasn't coming out from my shelter for a better view!
I the first picture you can see a bit of the Armadillo theater, across it the Hydro, a concert venue.
Both building, together with the Exhibition Centre, form the SEC, the Scottish Events Campus, formally named SECC. Scottish Exhibition and Conference centre :wacko:
A popular cycling route passes across the campus, hence the reason I passed it so many times.
The second picture shows the famous Glasgow crane, the Squinty bridge, the STV studios over the water. The red(ish) building behind the crane is the new Radisson Red Hotel, due to open in a few months.
[

I haven't been out much with FWN recently.
My very occassional work commitments and visits from grandchildren always seem to clash.
Managed a Whitehouse run last week.
Their runs suit me better than the Glasgow Green runs.
Closer to home , and not as stop , start as the Green , probably due to numbers.
Last couple of Friday runs from the Green that I went on I left at their tea break. Just me being impatient.

A tour of the city for me tomorrow.
Work takes me to Sandyhills and Drumchapel, about as far apart in Glasgow as you can get.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A trip to Thetford today wth the boy wonder. I was on my mountain bike, he was on his cross bike. Getting ready in Brandon CP I realised I'd forgotten my phone. I did have my GoPro, not sure I can work out how to upload stuff to here though!

Off we set and it soon became apparent that Thomas is totally unfit. I reigned the speed in, but at my sedate speed I was still having to linger. At the end of each section I waited up for him. Eventually we swapped bikes. His legs are much longer than mine but it takes a multi tool to drop his saddle and I couldn't be arsed to get mine out. He raised the saddle on my bike, but couldn't get his head around the wide handle bars, admittedly they do take a minute if you've been riding drops.

With much relief I got my bike back in time for the bermed pump track. It's always great fun sweeping and a swooping down the hill! I had to wait a bit at the end. He told me that he couldn't think quickly enough..... I'm sure it's his epilepsy meds, which I think is the root of his weight gain, breaks my heart.

After a while we stumbled across one of the bigger bomb holes, I had a good old play for 5 minutes.

On through the forest through some fairly dull sections, and then came the Beast.... 'up for it?' I asked. 'Yup'.

Off I set. In all the times I been to Thetford I've never seen it so muddy, not like Hardwick clay, but still slippy in the bottom of dips and hollows. I rattled through to the end and waited..... and waited..... and....

By now I was starting to wonder. I set off for a path that would take me back to the start of the Beast, but I was worried that I might miss him. Without a phone I was a bit stumped. Just as I was about to lose sight of the end of the track I spotted him, but he was lower down than the exit gate. I rolled down to him.
'Did you get lost then?' I enquired
'I went over the bars' came the reply. He was covered in sh1te, brake lever bent in and looking sheepish! I laughed and got the fruit pastilles out to celebrate. If he'd have been properly injured I'd have given him the black ones, but I gave him green and yellow. I had the black one!

Now his bike would have been suited to the Beater track so we set off toward that via the High Lodge centre. We stopped for a drink. Once done Thomas said that his knee was stiffening up so reluctantly we set off for the car.

He did offer to wait back at the car so I could play some more 'and what's the route back to the car?' I asked. 'Dunno'.

Off we set, but silly old me took a wrong turn and we ended up on the berms again (genuine mistake) and then took another track back to the car.

He'll live to fight another day.

Not long enough or fast enough, but I really enjoyed playing out with my boy!

View: https://youtu.be/vBbXKKqZuQg

View: https://youtu.be/uIzAbpPCITg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1389381476

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A grey and cold day with very little wind here in Suffolk, perfect for a slow, late afternoon circuit on the Voodoo. Mostly on road and the same route could probably have been done much quicker on the Spa Elan, but with 5Live radio playing through a single in-ear headphone, why hurry.

The usual route towards Ipswwich via Levington and Nacton with a quick diversion to the foreshore at Nacton where the River Orwell was flat calm...
Voodoo Pootle (1).jpg

From there I resumed the route to the outskirts of Ipswich before doubling back along the Bucklesham Road, up towards Foxhall where, despite the cold, the first snowdrops were appearing in Monument Farm Lane...
Voodoo Pootle (2).jpg

Another stop on the return Hall Lane back to Bucklesham for yet another photo, this time of a stream that's usually only a trickle...
Voodoo Pootle (3).jpg

After that it was non-stop through Bucklesham, across to Falkenham before heading into Felixstowe including the offroad sections of Candlet Track and - after yet another photo stop - Hyem's Lane
Voodoo Pootle (5).jpg

Once in Felixstowe I headed for home along the seafront roads, skirting the Docks and up the last offroad section of Blofield Track. It may have been a miserable looking day, but I really enjoy these slower weekend rides.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1389913568
Saturday.png

Just 26 miles today, which included 3 trips up and down Love's Hill and a couple of laps around the lakes, was going to do another lap but too many dog walkers with those long retractable dog lead things. (Dog on one side of the trail, walker on the other...attached to the mutt !!)

Very nearly did I have a Jack Russell wrapped around my back wheel, bloody things !!

Anyway, apart from getting soaking wet and filthy dirty, a nice run out on the MTB.

Me clobber is in the washer, I've just got to wash me carcass and then get stuck into cleaning the bike.

20180204_101520.jpg

Screenshot (3).png

Working a 'late-turn', so the only ride will be to work & back
Day-off tomorrow (& Sunday 11th)

Then, annual-leave Mon 12th, (couldn't get the Tuesday), Wed 14th, Thurs 15th, Fri 16th (days-off that week; Sat 17th/Sun 18th)

So.......... hopefully a few rides:okay:

Barring;
daughters (pre-17) driving lesson at Church Fenton, at some point in the afternoon, on the 17th
2. Possible 'family outing' (taking daughter/SWMBO/father-in-law/daghters bf) to either the National Railway Museum, or the Royal Armouries on Sunday 18th

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
Out at 8am to a chilly but dry day. I went east towards Selby because..................well just because. It's flat over that way once you get clear of Leeds so maybe that was it. Steady ride which at almost 50 miles is the longest I have done for quite some time. Felt ok but my legs know about it now. Saw a good few bods on bikes out today. Bloody cyclists clogging the roads, they should pay bloody road tax.

49 miles with 1700ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20509972

Last edited:
Top Bottom