Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'd planned to get my metric half century challenge ride in today, but felt rough when I got up, so was rather hoping the DPD package I was waiting for would be delivered when I planned to be out. No such luck as the text that came in at 0845hrs said delivery after 12. Forced myself to go out, and by and large was glad I did. Lots of new roads out towards Wisley and Cobham, including one that wasn't really a road (needed the CX for this)...
6th Feb 2018 MUD.jpg

Still, it was an enjoyable walk through the forest with bike on shoulder. The boots needed a good banging out at the other end when we reached tarmac so that they would clip onto the pedals again...
Really nice roads, quiet and undulating.
Downside of the ride, the closest I've ever been to getting wiped out by a muppet metal box driver. Fortunately one of us was awake, but she got a good mouthful. It's no good waving your hand at me when you've just tried to run me down with your 2 ton tin can you dopey cow:angry::angry:
A cold ride with the Garmin starting at 1.5 degrees and never getting above 3, but just over 32 miles done, and 4 Explorer squares nabbed:smile:

gavgav

Guru
I'd planned to get my metric half century challenge ride in today, but felt rough when I got up, so was rather hoping the DPD package I was waiting for would be delivered when I planned to be out. No such luck as the text that came in at 0845hrs said delivery after 12. Forced myself to go out, and by and large was glad I did. Lots of new roads out towards Wisley and Cobham, including one that wasn't really a road (needed the CX for this)...
View attachment 394743

Still, it was an enjoyable walk through the forest with bike on shoulder. The boots needed a good banging out at the other end when we reached tarmac so that they would clip onto the pedals again...
Really nice roads, quiet and undulating.
Downside of the ride, the closest I've ever been to getting wiped out by a muppet metal box driver. Fortunately one of us was awake, but she got a good mouthful. It's no good waving your hand at me when you've just tried to run me down with your 2 ton tin can you dopey cow:angry::angry:
A cold ride with the Garmin starting at 1.5 degrees and never getting above 3, but just over 32 miles done, and 4 Explorer squares nabbed:smile:
A like for getting out, but not for the muppet in the tin box!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After a morning of gardening, I fancied a bike ride but didn't see much point in getting changed. So I just added a long-sleeved base layer under my sleeveless gardening jacket and hit the road. Nipped down to Frampton and back, taking in every side road I could find when I got there. Came back via Framilode, Elmore, and the Pilot Bridge over the canal. Light snow flurries lasted for most of the ride, but although it seemed cold enough, none of it settled ..... except on the sleeves of my Craft long-sleeved base layer. Finished the ride with snow flakes all over my arms, looking like a bad case of dandruff. Must say I'm impressed by the base layer, as my arms were not at all cold, yet snow was settling on them. Home and hosed now. Glad to get another bonus 23 miles in before the weather turns for the worse.
Cheers, Donger.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
We had snow again last night, so I woke up to a winter wonderland this morning.
Ice bike on the ready, I went to join the Tuesday ride at Freewheel North in the Green. I knew the ride was on as the leader posted on FB.
As it is often the case, my estate was iced up, the main roads were clear, in the city there was hardly any snow, and once we got in the west end it was like a spring's day, sunny, dry cycling paths.
The only slippy bits were on the canal path that we used for a short stretch.
To keep the blood flowing the leaders took us up some short steep hills and increased the speed to 11mph :whistle:
More bad weather is forecast for the weekend, when I've got to leave at the back of 6am for work :cold:
A few pictures for you: I'm very envious of a woman in our group, she can ride, take pictures and selfies, post on the net simultaneously!
IMG_20180206_102617985.jpg Winter wonderland at the start of the ride, the Green at 10am.
IMG_20180206_123831696.jpg It's summer, the sun is shining, the palms are blossoming in Maryhill, west end of Glasgow.
IMG_20180206_123854529.jpg A fancy gate, Maryhill leisure centre.
Only 20 miles in all for me, but I could have stayed in my bed instead :whistle: ^_^

kapelmuur

Veteran
I know this does not count but i did 30 mins on turbo and lifted some weights and did some leg exercises.

For me riding the turbo is more mentally and physically demanding than riding outdoors, so it certainly counts.

Since my accident I've become wary about riding outside when there's the possibility of ice, so the turbo has had plenty of use recently.

I have a Bkool turbo and when it's cold and snowing (like today) I like to use the video routes under blue skies. During the past few weeks I've (virtually) ridden in the sun in Spain, Italy, Croatia and France. I've also done an hour in a velodrome and a ride through a snowy forest in Sweden.

I still prefer to ride outside though.

pjd57

Veteran
We had snow again last night, so I woke up to a winter wonderland this morning.
Ice bike on the ready, I went to join the Tuesday ride at Freewheel North in the Green. I knew the ride was on as the leader posted on FB.
As it is often the case, my estate was iced up, the main roads were clear, in the city there was hardly any snow, and once we got in the west end it was like a spring's day, sunny, dry cycling paths.
The only slippy bits were on the canal path that we used for a short stretch.
To keep the blood flowing the leaders took us up some short steep hills and increased the speed to 11mph :whistle:
View attachment 394813 A fancy gate, Maryhill leisure centre.
Only 20 miles in all for me, but I could have stayed in my bed instead :whistle: ^_^

I love those gates.
A tribute to the history of the building.
Home of the original Maryhill fire station. Long before my time.
I only remember it as the police station in the 60's.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a brief 3 miles into town it was time for more decorating. Unfortunately the sun was shining, so once the curtain pole was fitted I popped out for a quick spin. Figured a couple of 'hills' were in order, so St Annes, Callow Hill and Middle Hill saw 830ft in 17 miles. The planned ride in April is 8000ft in 75 miles, so need some more practice I think...

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Mrs D was off out on a long lunch with her cackling friends today, so I had a couple of hours to myself. I took the opportunity of grabbing a cheeky 29 miler out to Frampton, Arlingham, Whitminster etc. Just about my idea of perfect cycling conditions today ... bright blue, clear sky and a bone dry road surface. Cold enough for there still to be ice at the side of the road, but none on the road itself. A lovely ride that kept the mileage total ticking along. That's 363 miles in 11 rides so far, as I try to keep my average ride above 33 miles.

Spotted a bit of wildlife out there on the lanes (and above). One suicidal squirrel, several pheasants, a close pass from a buzzard and another from a startled heron ..... and a tiny little wren that came within a foot of me. The daffodils are out in several places now, and there was a general twittering coming from some of the hedges. Spring is definitely on its way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom