Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a freezing, but enjoyable ride in to work at silly o'clock this morning, I've just been out to assess clothing for the ride home. Stuff that keeps me dry would seem to be on the cards:rain::rain: Shame I can't do anything about the wind though, looks like it's going to be a tough slog once again:bicycle::bicycle:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The forecast was dire. Wall to wall rain. So the usual Saturday ride was off. I watched the radar and spotted a new home made forecast. It should stop raining about mid day. I kept checking but there was no other conclusion possible. So off I went in dry but grey conditions. Dry except for the roads that is. The wind was tough so I aimed for the hedges on the way down to Birtsmorton and Berrow. That would add miles but easier miles I hoped. It worked too. I got onto the standard Ashleworth run at Redmarley. I worked fairly hard on the hills today. Bigger gear than usual and out of the saddle. A solitary daffodil at Highleadon greeted me as I turned for a wind assisted leg. Not that I took it straight away. I climbed Woolridge instead. Too misty and grey for any views tho'. Along the Hams the chain went onto my big ring (44 teeth!). Wildfowl on the flooded Hams have moved in and a pair of honking Greylags flew over me to join the flock grazing on the grass. My pace was fairly brisk even on the ramp to Forthampton and on to Longdon. I took my standard jink by Brotheridge Green and my head was calculating the distance I might clock up. At least 48 I thought so when I reached the Guarlford Road I took all three loops and then did a lap of Barnard's Green to top it up to the round number. I'd ridden very briskly and had a good one. The bike got a bit muddy (mudguards don't stop it all) but other than that I'd escaped the rain and knocked out 50 smiles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today seems to have been the day for short rides thanks to the weather and I'm no exceeption - just under 15 mile round trip to the local bottle bank on the Voodoo. Thanks to yesterday's rain and overnight frost, foillowed by more drizzle today, the best description for the off road sections would be "gloopy"
Bottle Bank Bimble.png

pjd57

Veteran
Since it was a Saturday and Celtic were at home, I knew where I was going.
Early kick off in the cup, council TV as well so a smaller crowd and less traffic.
Across the city 7.5 miles in 37 minutes.
Not a great MPH figure , but a lot quicker than car or bus .

After the match it was through Glasgow Green, and along the Clyde to Clydebank, quick visit, then on to the canal, up to Maryhill and home.

24 miles on a pleasant but chilly day.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out for 9ish today, it was blue skies and blustery breezes.
I have my mum here this weekend so early rides were in order. It was just a 25 mile run down through Bourn, Gransdens, Waresley and Gamlingay, this was all into a fierce headwind that had me tucked down as low as I could.
So the return leg should have had a tail wind.... some of it did, but not all of it!

A sole redwing was the bird of the day, everything else must have blown away!

IMG_0429.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1402012189

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's was slightly unpleasant . Plans for an Imperial ton were shelved due to the forecast . Plan was to get up early do a 50km and try and beat the rain .Up not as early as I'd like being lazy so out the door at 0830 .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Quorn onto Loughborough to tackle Forest rd climb a near continuous 6 mile climb . On the climb which was into a headwind making it tougher . Just as I start to climb it's starts to rain so quick pause to put the rain jacket on . Ground my way to the top at Copt Oak turned right heading up again towards St Bernards Abbey .Another right turn and the steep ramp to the highest point of the ride . Lovely quick descent follows dead straight so can let the bike go . Quick glance at the GPS and 38mph is displayed . I spot a tractor struggling up the hill and as I approach a nose of a Merc pokes out . Please stay there but no he goes for the overtake :wacko: I'm on the brakes but at one point I heading straight for a 3 pointed star . The stone wall next to the foot wide verge didn't look inviting .Somehow we manage to avoid one another by inches :surrender:. It happened so fast didn't even have time to think got to the bottom and had to stop to compose myself that was way up close for comfort .Back on the bike after a couple of minutes and the weather is getting properly bad now cold rain and windy . Could head directly home and do 20 odd miles but a half century is to tempting . Along Charley Rd right at beacon crossroads down past the golf course into Swithland quick wave at sister as she fed her horse didn't stop as was getting cold now . Rothley ,Cropston and home 31.2 miles so just a 50km .Properly wet and cold when I got home couldn't have faced an Imperial ton today . Trying not to let the near miss play on my mind but it was really close
I went out today, after 5 miles i nearly turned around as the wind chill was bitter and my hands and feet were like ice .
Carried on to make a 30 miler .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Saturday club ride, started cold but got really wetter as the ride went on, 11 of us started, 2 turned back half way round, don't know why as it was the same distance to the end. but hey ho there choice, 7 of us ended up in the pub for a birthday drink, or should i say another birthday drink as the official birthday was Tuesday.. a great ride with a great group.:cheers:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1400885277
Had a little spin with Dom on Sunday, then back to the pub for breakfast and a beer, then a couple of old friends joined us for another birthday drink.
Life is so good, i feel really special having so many caring friends around.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1402557261

Out this morning
Granted not that far, as I was only heading over to watch the 'WTC' duathlon, over at 'Rabbit Ings' just on the edge of Royston
http://www.wakefieldtriclub.co.uk/event/winter-series-rabbit-ings-duathlon/?instance_id=27043
http://thelandtrust.org.uk/space/rabbit-ings-country-park/

A rather blustery day, heading over there, and a lot colder than I thought it was (no over-shoes, but regretting it after 30 minutes)

A 'rolling' journey there, with some heavy road, particularly between Crofton, Ryhill & Ellis-Laithe
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/416998
There were quite a few groups out, I saw three sets of roadies

On arrival, the first person I saw/spoke to, was Mark (who's also in both of my Clubs, as well as WTC)
He's a damned fine triathlete, having placed top-10, at the 2016 Mexico round of the ITU series - in the 30-34 'Sprint' distance

I then saw my buddies out on their first (run) lap; Angela & Mick
Both are nationally ranked. Angie's been a National Duathlon Champ, & Mick's also won a few of his age-group events

Damned cold there!!, with snow/sleet visible on the far hills, & a few sleety flakes falling

Sadly, there was a few issues with marshalling (not the marshalls fault), but with a dead-turn on the fastest bike descent, it was going to happen that riders overshot)

Back home by 12:30, as we had been meant to have had a trip to the Royal Armouries (Leeds) this afternoon, but it didn't happen for various reasons

13 rider

Guru
Had arranged to meet family at Nice pie cafe at 1100 for coffee and cake also informed @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman so a meeting was arranged for a ride back together . No frost so out the door at 0800 for a few miles first as metric century was the plan ,Anstey ,Cropston and Rothley at a good pace when a rider pulls alongside breathing hard it was @Supersuperleeds who had been chasing me down for 2 miles as he spied me in the distance . Quick discussion as to where we were heading @Supersuperleeds decided to do my route .Cossington up humble lane and out up the Wreake valley Witham tailwind . Ratcliffe ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby and the climb of Saxileby hill . Lovely quick descent into Long Clawson ,Hose and towards Colston Bassett where we inadvertantly rode up a farm drive just far enough to get a veloviewer square :whistle: which was the target of the ride .Colston Bassett ,Kinoulton ,Hickling and back to Long Clawson turned for Nether Broughton straight into a brutal headwind :banghead:as I slowly reeled in another ride I managed to drop @Supersuperleeds :becool: chatted with the other rider about the wind as @Supersuperleeds caught up. Into Old Dalby and we climbed out of the vale of Belvoir via Longcliffe hill first time I've done it and it's just as bad as every other climb out of the vale which is the one downside of riding in the vale . Onto Nice pie where @Supersuperleeds treated me to coffee and Beans on toast :okay: ( cheers :cheers:) Family next to arrive then as it starts to snow @tallliman rolled in. Nice relaxed coffee and cake stop chatting away .Soon were back outside to face the headwind home but not before admiring @tallliman new bike very nice :thumbsup: . As expected headwind all the way to Barrow so me and @Supersuperleeds took turns on the front resting @tallliman injuries knee . In Barrow @Supersuperleeds went left to head home . I need a few more miles so onto Quorn where @tallliman headed home and I joined my commuting route home Mountsorrel ,Rothley and Cropston and it starts to hail lovely .Just before home it's now snowing so happy to be home 62.4 miles done and done in every weather condition possible . Lovely ride made better by the surprise company and a tricky veloviewer square bagged

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Not much mileage for me the last few weeks but- a sunny morning forces me out there :tongue:.
Just 18 miles locally, the westerly was tough, throwing my front wheel around and that with only a 30mm section rim. Most of the ride took a northerly or southerly route to avoid the worst of the wind...bit some of it was a hard hard slog, particually up Morborne hill.

It was by far the best weather day of the week, so not to be wasted. I had a great full day on the bike riding from Littleborough to Wigan via Bury, Bolton, Lostock and Horwich and returning by a different route through Leigh, Tyldesley, Atherton, Salford, Prestwich, Heywood and Rochdale. The return leg included a lot of off road cycle path trails including about 4 miles on the Leeds – Liverpool canal and then subsequently 13 miles (as part of NCN 55) on the Leigh to Salford very wide and good surfaced cycle track that runs adjacent to the impressive new Busway for the first 4.5 miles from Leigh. I knew there would be some very muddy bits so, as with my rides earlier in the week, I rode my MTB.

If you’ve ever wondered where Heinz baked beans come from - it’s Wigan! See pic of their main factory which was near to the furthest point of my route. Thee pic of the Leeds – Liverpool canal towpath has Wigan Athletic FC stadium in the top r/h corner of the photo. I’ve also included a couple of pics of the cyclepath adjacent to the Leigh Busway and also the track further on through woodland towards Salford.

Darkness descended by the time I was in between Prestwich and Heywood so my lights came into operation.
View attachment 393408 View attachment 393409 View attachment 393410 View attachment 393411 View attachment 393412 View attachment 393414
Arrived home mud splattered and pleasantly tired with 75 miles in the bag. My biggest daily mileage of the year so far and 140 for the week.

you was only a mile from my front door when you reached wigan pier, I could have put the kettle on:cuppa:

Top Bottom