Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Woke this morning to aching legs I am not fully recovered from the flu of 2 weeks ago and with a full weeks commuting in the legs it's was an effort to get out .Out the door at 1030 with a half metric century in mind . Anstey to Cropston were I discovered the wind was going to be an unusual headwind out :banghead: Coming into Cropston I was scalped by a rotund casetelli man in all the gear . Couldn't really be bothered chasing him back but kept him working as I shadowed him about 30 yards behind as he would shoulder check to see if I was still there !. He eventually turned off .Into Cossington and get passed again by a group of 3 riders 2 ladies and a gent caught them at the lights and had a nice chat we were heading roughly the same way so I tagged along up humble lane where I had a nice tow up but harder work than I needed. At the top I went right up the Wreake valley and they went left so back to my pace .After Ratcliffe I was slowly reeling a rider into the headwind . Caught and pulled alongside to discover it's the 18 year old racing snake who lives across the road from me . I was chuffed I'd managed to catch him as he's pretty quick .Rode about 5 miles with him chatting away before we went are separate ways . I went for the hilly Ragdale route . Climb into the drop into the village and then the steep climb out where my heart rate maxed out near the bottom so it was a struggle to the top :surrender:. Wymeswold ,Barrow where I passed a group travelling in the opposite direction which contained a rider I knew shouted hello as we pasted . Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and home . 33.5 miles in the bag so Febs half century ride done and dusted . Legs still aching but there you go I feel my fitness is slowly returning

Lookman

Regular
I set out early this morning to get at least 100km in the bag using a mental map that I plotter in my head.

It was an enjoyable ride all the way, and quite faster than my first ever 100km ride early in January this year.

Meanwhile, I occasionally check my progress on #STRAVA and was confident that the task would be achieved.

When I began to get closer home, I checked Strava again and I was shocked at what I saw. 90.1km! By that time, I just wanted to get home and raise my tired legs.

And then, the struggle began. The search for 10km to complete my ride. The weather was hot and uncomfortable and I was tired but determined to finish strong.

After going up and down, right and left, thoroughly exhausted, I headed home.

I checked my distance and was short by 2km!

10km was just too long

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180204-160504.png
    Screenshot_20180204-160504.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20180204_101743.jpg
    IMG_20180204_101743.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 36

pjd57

Veteran
My work run went as planned, but having checked my weekly total , I knew I wanted 32 miles to reach 100 for the week.
So work done, headed home but threw in a lap of the neighborhood to get the 2 miles I was looking for.

Don't think I can put those 2 on the expenses sheet though.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A tandem ride for me/us today. We were in possession of a £2.46 reward token from Waresley GC, so there was only ever going to be one destination!
On the out bound leg we saw kestrel, buzzard and a beautiful Red Kite in Longstowe. Past the maggot farm, the NW wind on our side today, fragrance free!
Then it was the hill down in to Gamlingay, 33.4mph being the biggest figure we both saw. Past the small holding, we said hello to the saddleback pig.

We also said hello to welcome blue skies
IMG_0409.JPG

Then we arrived at the garden centre. An old couple got talking to us at the entrance, once again the tandem being the ultimate ice breaker!

In we went for tea, coffee and....
IMG_0411.JPG

Whilst in the cafe Jo took her shoes and overshoes off. I warmed her feet like a good husband should! On the way out we were accosted by another old couple who used to cycle.

Just before we left the cafe Jo pointed out the steely sky to the north.... between Great Gransden we were treated to a stinging from a hailstorm. Nice.

Just coming in to our village we had some d1ldo in a car nearly hit us, but other than that it was a nice, chilly 25 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1391265940

gavgav

Guru
February Challenge Ride time and a bitterly cold but, at times, gloriously Sunny day for it. I chose a hilly route and some new territory as well.

First job was to clean and oil the chain and rear derailleur, as they were squeaking on my ride earlier in the week. Made all the difference, as gears were much smoother today and no squeak.

I set out in quite cloudy weather, with a biting Northerly wind, which would be behind me for the first half of the ride at least. I headed for Dad’s, via Hook-A-Gate, Annscroft and Exfords Green, to drop a couple of bits off for him and have a chat for half an hour.

I then started the climb, by heading on the Church Pulverbatch Road, before branching off and climbing towards Wilderley. By now the sun had come out and whilst still cold it was lovely to feel the sun for what seems like the first time in ages on a bike ride!

View of The Wrekin
19E4A263-9D91-4E09-B8E3-7EDDE6BE4157.jpeg

I then followed the lanes to Picklescott and a lot of it was on new lanes that I hadn’t ridden before, but plenty of climbing as well. I turned left, in Picklescott and the biggest climbs of the day lay ahead, through Batchcote. I was puffing well by the time I reached the cross roads and was met by a young lad on a Mountain Bike. We had a good chat, he’d come up over the Longmynd and was waiting for 2 others, who arrived not long after.

I then continued with the new territory and climbing, up onto the Longmynd, where I paused for lunch at Plush Hill, enjoying the fabulous sunshine and scenery.
460748FB-016A-4A95-85D2-C7F7BC607711.jpeg
5B8AF792-360D-433C-9586-0DC233BBC43E.jpeg

I was only stopped for 15 minutes, but at 1200 ft up I got very cold quickly and so was glad to get moving again. I dropped down Castle Hill, into All Stretton (good brakes needed on that descent!!) before crossing the A49 and heading down the Roman Rd towards Longnor. I had of course now turned North, into the wind and it was strong and bitingly cold, plus cloud had rolled in again and so it was a tough route home through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Betton Abbots. One can normally get a cruising speed of 20 mph plus on sections of that road, but it was 10 to 15 mph into the wind today. Also got hailed on for a short section, those things hurt!!

I arrived back in Shrewsbury, with not quite enough miles on the clock for my 50k and so looped around some local estates, to get the required mileage.

32.2 miles at 11.0mph avg and 1800 ft of climbing.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With a Met office warning of ice overnight I had a rare lie in and didn't get out on the Giant until just before 10.
Cold but clear with blue skies and a big shiny yellow thing in the sky - not seen much of that lately! I'd sort of decided to go for a metric half given the decent weather - you never know what's around the corner at this time of year do you?

Anyway, the bike knows it's own way up Coal Road, then right onto Skelton Lane and the long descent into Thorner down Sandhills, through the village dodging a lot of mud in the road near the church and up onto Milner Lane. Right again onto Holme Farm Lane, which becomes Thorner Lane and then Thorner Road for the downhill to Bramham, where a wiggle through the village saw me tackle Town Hill for the first time this year. :heat:
Onto Toulston Lane and back out into the countryside, crossing over into North Yorkshire before turning onto Garnett Lane and the bridge across the A64, followed by the long downhill to Stutton, where I stuck to the main road through the village and across a very full but lazy Cock Beck and up towards the A162.
Is it worth mentioning that the roads were filthy today? I know it's winter but even so they seemed especially dirty today.
Dodging a BMW (with bike carriers on top...) who couldn't wait for a passing place on the single track road, then climbing up the hill and being treated to a close pass from a Sainsbury's truck, before a left onto Raw Lane and a run all the way to Ulleskelf.
Through the village and on through Ozendyke to Ryther, where I turned onto Mill Lane, which becomes Moor Lane and crosses back over the East Coast Main Line, where I stopped for a couple of pics as the Kings Cross flyer went through:
IMG_20180204_111534203_BURST007.jpg

Perhaps I could start a "Your bike in front of a train thread"? Or maybe not...;)
IMG_20180204_112146948_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and on my way again, eventually passing the airfield and into Church Fenton itself. From there it's a straight run to Barkston Ash and a short stretch of the A162 onto Headwell Lane and the climb and drop into Saxton, where I stopped just after the village for a few more pics.
Sadly the badly damaged Linda's Bench has been removed, so I had to lean the bike on a tree:
IMG_20180204_115238767_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180204_115314994_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180204_115840695.jpg

Now, I'd planned this route on the basis that the wind was from the north east so while it would be against me on the way out I'd have it behind me on the return leg. That didn't happen as it seemed to be against me pretty much all the way round. :rolleyes:
From this last stop it's a straight run down onto Copley Lane and on to Lotherton Gates, avoiding the many potholes, before turning for Aberford, dropping down under the A1(M) and through the village before the ups and downs of Cattle Lane to Barwick, then more up almost to Scholes, before a bit of welcome downhill to cross Cock Beck again for a final time and onto local roads to home

33.92 miles (54.58km) in 2h 29m an acceptable average of 13.6mph with 1,377ft of climbing and a still chilly average temperature of just 2.1°C :cold:

Good to get out despite the chill and the sunshine had brought loads of cyclists out (or was that just because I was out later than usual?) but it was the busiest I've seen it yet this year. Plus that's the February qualifying ride in the bag.

Needless to say the bike was filthy when I got back, but that's all part of the fun isn't it?

And to end, the map:
04022018.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

55 miles the journey, Middleton Hall the destination. My first chance to do a Sunday ride for some time, with family stuff going on I’ve either been riding Mondays, Saturdays or not at all. Not a bad day for a bike ride, cold but dry with sunny intervals, the only spoiler was a strong cold wind. Out early and across Coventry, through malfunction junction, up Tile Hill lane, onto Torrington Ave and Duggins Lane and onto Balsall Common, left into Holly lane, Right Table Oak lane and Fen End Road to Temple Balsall. Left onto the main road then right to go through the ford and onto Hampton In Arden, straight across the roundabout then left by the golf club to take the bridle way into the outskirts of meriden then left on the roundabout to pick up the usual route through Maxstoke and Shustoke then past the Kingsbury Water Park and onto the main road to Middleton Hall. My longest route out to a cafe this year and my fastest, average 13.8. I got my timing slightly wrongat the cafe, I walked in after the club had arrived and not before, but it was nice to walk into a cafe full of friends and ex club mates. On the way back I turned left onto the main raoad, anyone else notice the missing drain covers? Then left again to retrace my wheel tracks down past Kinsbury Water park and the hotel, that was where Jason and his motley crew past me, my legs were fading fast by then so I had to watch them go, if I’d felt a bit better I’d jumped on the back. The left into Kinwalsey lane, right onto Fillongly lane and left onto Becks Lane and onto Harvest Hill lane, Left onto Oak Lane and right onto Washbrook lane and into Coventry on Browns lane, at the roundabout I went left into Long Lane the right past the Royal Court and left past Cardinal newman school then left by the garage, up the hill and right into Penny Park Lane and onto home. Thats my longest and quickest ride this year, 55 miles at 13.7, I just need to find time for some more long rides and do some work on my fitness. A cold ride and it felt bit slow in places, but an enjoyable morning out on my bike, and it was nice to see people I don’t see very often.

Middleton Hall.jpg

Middleton Hall This morning, and my old club The Coventry Road Club are in. I'm the fella with the grey beard and glasses, with his back to the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Club ride time again. Just a mostly flat 36.5 miles today, after the exertions of our trip over to the Forest of Dean last week. After winching ourselves over Horsepools Hill we meandered about a bit through Stroud, Stonehouse and Standish before stopping for cakes and coffees at Mrs Massey's Diner in Frampton. Then off to the riverside at Arlingham and back via Fretherne, Saul and Elmore.

Another great club ride in lovely Spring-like sunshine. Once again we had some newbies joining us, along with a couple of returning riders who first joined us a few weeks ago. We seem to be becoming rather international these days, with a New Zealander joining us last week and two Polish guys coming along today. It is the sort of club where everyone is always welcome, and there is no strict membership (with fees and politics and all that). All 11 of us seemed to enjoy the ride, and we met up with our intermediates at the café stop, raising the speed a little on the way back and ensuring I had a good workout despite the flattish route.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'm nursing a cold / sore throat but it looked like too nice a day not to at least try a short bimble. I reckoned on nothing strenous around local routes and paths that I don't normally use, if that caused any wheezing or coughing I could just turn for home.

IMG_20180204_142758[1].jpg
The River Tweed and Gattonside chain bridge.

The more I bimbled the faster I got and then the sun came out, which inspired me to go a bit further, especially as I managed to climb Leaderbank without any breathing problems (well none more than usual).

IMG_20180204_150242[1].jpg

Looking south towards the border with the snow-capped Cheviots just visible on the far horizon at the centre, Smailholm Tower on the near horizon at the left. The water in the mid-ground is all that is left of a once extensive loch which was drained by a tunnel constructed by Napoleonic POWs. The clay bed of the loch was used to make bricks in a brickworks the remains of which are just out of shot.

By this time I'd forgotten I even had a cold, so kept extending the ride. Unfortunately I then suffered my first puncture in about two years, which appeared to have been due to a patch on the tube becoming detatched. New tube installed, so head for the nearest church to pray for no more punctures.

IMG_20180204_155552[1].jpg

Makerston Kirk.

Fortunately (as I hadn't intended being out this late) my lights were all charged, the rears being needed as I headed directly into the low sun.

IMG_20180204_164113[1].jpg

The last rays of the setting sun turning the Black Hill red.

Gentle bimble ended up as 30 miles at 11.5 mph but there must have been some faster bits as I still picked up 5 Strava trophies!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm working away for three days next week (with no chance even to cycle commute) so took the opportunity of snow & sleet showers this morning to stay in and catch up with various domestics before going out for another afternoon ride. By then, although the showers had passed, the sky was a dull grey and the wind had turned more to a north or north easterly and picked up considerably.

Just a loop into, through and round the outside of Ipswich to Claydon with a quick diversion up to Martlesham on the way back home. Having got going, I realised how cold it was and wished that I'd put some form of thermal leggings or tights on as the thin Ronhills just didn't provide enough warmth. Also no stops for pictures as that would have meant taking of my gloves and losing more body heat. Despite the wind & cold I managed just under 45 miles in 2 3/4 hours. The temptation was there to get the 50 in, but a looming shower cloud and the need for a hot drink put paid to that idea.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1391909471
Sunday.png

Top Bottom