Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
No snow, no ice, no rain - not even any wind. The view from the office window was too tempting so I left at 3 which with the slowly lengthening days gave me an hour in daylight and another hour with lights.
Gala, Langshaw, Lauder, Blainslie, Earlston, Melrose, Tweedbank home. 26 miles at only 13 mph, though considering the state of the roads and the state of my fitness not too bad.
IMG_20180126_163959.jpg

Thanks to @User9609 for the top tip of using snow as an impromptu bike stand.

Lookman

Regular
[Admin edit: Part 1 of the thread can be found here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today-part-1.8938]

First 100km ride of the year, but more importantly my first ride since being diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (a type of lung disease)
Lately when out on the bike I was having trouble getting up hills, I've never been the quickest up hills but was noticeably slower and I was having real trouble breathing. I thought I had a chest infection so I went to the docs.
Doc said chest was clear, no infection but as I was having pains best go for an x-ray to rule out the big C. That came back clear so then it was a spirometry test. This came back with this C.O.P.D. Basically the airwaves in my lungs tighten up and I can't exhale a lung full of air, meaning the next breath I take in isn't enough air so I have trouble breathing while pushing myself (i.e cycling up hills)
It's my own fault. I smoked. For 25 years. No one else to blame but myself. Doc said it was a mild form of the disease, it comes in 3 stages mild, medium, severe. Severe being life threatening. She said giving up smoking 4 years ago and starting to cycle was the best thing I could of done. She also said the disease won't go away, it won't get any worse, but won't get better. Treatment is limited, Inhalers is about it. I have 2, a preventative one (steroid) to be taken twice a day and a reliever to use as and when I need it.
I asked the doc about cycling. "Be careful in winter, listen to your body. If you can, cover your face, the cold air won't do you any good" she said
I've been a bit down over the last week, took some time off work to try and get my head around it. I didn't know when I was going to be back in the saddle, if I would at all. Could I cycle 6 miles, let alone 60. Should I stop riding with my mates, I don't want them waiting for me every time they got to the top of a bloody hill.
So last week I didn't go out on the Sunday, and in the week I spoke to my cycling buddies and they said don't be stupid, come out. Your pretty fast on the flats, if you want, go off ahead near a hill and we'll catch you up, no one waits.
Today I woke up and was supposed to be meeting my mates. I didn't want to. It was cold, I hadn't been out for a few weeks. Didn't want to hold my mates up. The wife said go, even if you get two miles up the road and can't carry on you've tried, you won't know until you've tried. She was right, I was putting off what I needed to do. I'm so glad she gave me a kick up the backside (and she threatened a shopping trip if I didn't go!)
I'm glad I did, I had a great ride. It was a couple of degrees above freezing, I was wrapped up, the buff over my face really worked, the air wasn't cold to breathe. The only times I took it off was to go up hill. I was out in front a lot. I really pushed myself to see what I could do. I was surprised at my effort, as were my mates. "I thought you were supposed to be ill" I heard @toptom say behind me! I gained some distance as we approached a hill and they caught me up as we reached the top. No waiting. Don't get me wrong, it was hard but I was enjoying it.
We set out from Hemel towards Chesham and then up to Gt. Missenden. The lanes were icy, the B roads were clear with a few ice patches at the sides of the road. I hit 43 mph down hill so my first over 40 for the year.
We headed toward Chequers, Mr Cameron's country retreat where the roads are littered with "no to HS2" signs. As we cycled past the entrance I gave Dave a two fingered wave at the security cameras much to the amusement of a cyclist going the other way. It was starting to warm up a bit, the red kites were circling overhead looking for sunday breakfast. We were back in the lanes to Stoke Mandeville and then B roads to Tring, it was mostly flat and we kept a good pace
A coffee stop after 30 miles in Tring where we've stopped a thousand times. Hemel cycling club were just leaving and the table by the fire was free. We decided which way to head back, Tom mentioned up the beacon ( i'm sure he wants to see me suffer!) As we approached the beacon he said instead of going up how do you feel about going around it and making the ride a 100km.
I felt good, was pleased with how the ride was going so agreed. I new a hill was about two miles ahead so put my foot down, I looked behind and had made good ground. I span up the hill and heard Tom approaching. We both made it to the top at the same time. Just had to wait for our other mate to catch up.
Back in the lanes towards Redborn. Dave left us as we went around the back of Hemel as he was flagging a bit. We had 20 miles to go and took the fast road from Redborn to St.Albans. I was out in front but about half way asked Tom if he would go out as I was struggling a little as we were into the wind. This worked and we were both up the last hill of the day (cheers for that Tom)
We picked up the lanes back to Hemel and cycled around the back of the industrial estate where I left Tom and had 4 miles to make the 100k. A bit of "round the houses" and I was 20 yards from home when I had a rear puncture! I lent over the bars to the front door and was home.
I needed that today. It sorted my head out. I was a bit emotional as I walked in, and am now as i type this. But I'm back. Cycling. Where I should be. Thanks to Tom and Dave for today, and thanks CC'ers for reading this. I know its gone off a bit from "your ride today" but a week ago I didn't think I'd be riding at all.

View attachment 77922

63 miles at 15.9 mph average. I'm happy with that.
Very interesting read and quite inspiring as well. For someone with COPD, you are doing great! Keep it up

Elysian_Roads

No snow, no ice, no rain - not even any wind. The view from the office window was too tempting so I left at 3 which with the slowly lengthening days gave me an hour in daylight and another hour with lights.
Gala, Langshaw, Lauder, Blainslie, Earlston, Melrose, Tweedbank home. 26 miles at only 13 mph, though considering the state of the roads and the state of my fitness not too bad.
View attachment 393359

Thanks to @User9609 for the top tip of using snow as an impromptu bike stand.
Am curious, @Mr Celine, as to how you came across that small pile of snow when there is no other hint of the stuff in the picture??????:scratch:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Am curious, @Mr Celine, as to how you came across that small pile of snow when there is no other hint of the stuff in the picture??????:scratch:

There was still a fair bit in the ditch and against the hedge at the other side of the road. There's no view in that direction though, so I dug out a big chunk, nearly falling in the ditch in the process due to a sudden attack of cramp.

Elysian_Roads

There was still a fair bit in the ditch and against the hedge at the other side of the road. There's no view in that direction though, so I dug out a big chunk, nearly falling in the ditch in the process due to a sudden attack of cramp.
Photoshop would have been safer! Hope you didn't come to any harm. Ps great photo.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A somewhat longer and more stop-start utility ride than intended today. A call from my daughter asking to drop off her homework which she had left on the floor meant straight out and up Prune Hill on the commuter, then a stop in Egham, 2 stops in Staines and finally home via Halfords where I was pleased to not have to lock the bike up outside. Hoping for a nice ride over the weekend, decorating permitting....

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A somewhat longer and more stop-start utility ride than intended today. A call from my daughter asking to drop off her homework which she had left on the floor meant straight out and up Prune Hill on the commuter, then a stop in Egham, 2 stops in Staines and finally home via Halfords where I was pleased to not have to lock the bike up outside. Hoping for a nice ride over the weekend, decorating permitting....

Halfords let you walk around with your bike? I did not know that. In my local store though, the cycling department is upstairs.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Halfords let you walk around with your bike? I did not know that. In my local store though, the cycling department is upstairs.

Yep, my local Halfords is like that. Right at the back of the shop, up some narrow stairs on a mezzanine level. The one near work also has the cycle dept upstairs, although the steps are right by the entrance there.

They've never once raised an issue though, in fact staff on the main tills will often grab the doors for you if they see you approaching. After all, if you couldn't take the bike in how else would you take the bike in for a service, etc?
Despite all that it is an appalling layout, but we can't have the motorists having to climb stairs to get their Turtlewax, can we?

They do have a couple of unloved and unused Sheffield stands in the car park which are tucked so far out of sight around the corner from the door that I've never seen a bike locked to them and would never consider using them myself.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another promising day in Suffolk, started off frosty but the sun soon saw to that only for it to turn to mist or a fine cloud layer that obscured the sun by the time I'd got my lazy arse into lycra & out of the house.

Having done a 50 miler yesterday, I thought I'd go for the metric 100 today so set off for Ipswich on the usual rroute via Levingtton & Nacton, then through Rushmere St. Andrew and along to little Bealings before heading up to Helmingham via Otley and Grundisburtgh where the fields were still showing the effects of the lovely winter we've been having
Grundisburgh.jpg

At Helmingham I turned back down to Ashbocking and across to Coddenham and the track alongside the A140 that leads to the Old Norwich Road back to Claydon. From there, a short off road section to Westerfield and back to Rushmere St. Andrew, Ipswich and Bucklesham - with a quick diversion to Martlesham to make up the necessary mileage - before arriving home on just under 63 miles or 100km.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1376260561
Friday.png

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Having watched the tow path steadily get wetter since the beginning of the year I was looking for somewhere else to ride. I've done a fair bit of walking locally and nearly all the routes I could consider were too steep for me to ride up, except possibly one. Rucklers Lane.

So today was sunny and I decided that it was my only hope of getting a January ride in.

While the bottom of the lane is residential, once it gets beyond the A41 it becomes much more rural.

1.jpg

So rural in fact that the tarmac becomes less.

2.jpg

The Scout Camp has a posh entrance these days. When I first started walking around here it was far less posh. I wonder how the house opposite fares though.

3.jpg

By the time I got to this point I'd had enough of hill climbing, and since straight ahead went downhill it meant that it would shortly after go uphill again. So I took the road on the left which I knew would be a flattish ride.

4.JPG

It is, however, a narrow road. Even here, on the top of the hills, the fields were exhibiting some flooding,

5.JPG

As I said, it was narrow.

6.JPG

I only went for a short ride, might go further next time, but the trees of the scout camp are in view. I took the downhill fairly slowly due to the surface and as there was a fair bit of traffic and not much room. It was a beautiful, if chilly, day, though I found the low Sun a bit of a trial.

7.JPG

I discovered that the traffic light at the bottom not only do not have a pedestrian sequence, but they also do not detect bikes. The car behind me had stopped some way back and clearly away from the sensors so I waved them up alongside me and the lights changed, as if by magic.

10.JPG

7.5 miles max 16 avg 7.8 mph. Year to date, 7.5 miles, Target 500 miles

pjd57

Veteran
Frost in Glasgow this morning so had to wait an hour then walk out to the main roads at 11.
Across the city from Maryhill to Pollok. I normally go down along the Kelvin but stuck to the gritted roads.
Southside cycle paths were nearly all still icy, so it was slower than my normal not very fast anyway.
Picked up a parcel for my Mrs and headed back into the city. Over Bells Bridge, Finneston, Byres rd and Maryhill road to get home.
Why have these cycle paths at all if people can't use them safely , even on what turned out to be a nice day.
20 miles, mostly on busy roads.

A second 5 mile local run later on, out and back through Lambhill cemetery .
I enjoy a quiet trip through there.

It was by far the best weather day of the week, so not to be wasted. I had a great full day on the bike riding from Littleborough to Wigan via Bury, Bolton, Lostock and Horwich and returning by a different route through Leigh, Tyldesley, Atherton, Salford, Prestwich, Heywood and Rochdale. The return leg included a lot of off road cycle path trails including about 4 miles on the Leeds – Liverpool canal and then subsequently 13 miles (as part of NCN 55) on the Leigh to Salford very wide and good surfaced cycle track that runs adjacent to the impressive new Busway for the first 4.5 miles from Leigh. I knew there would be some very muddy bits so, as with my rides earlier in the week, I rode my MTB.

If you’ve ever wondered where Heinz baked beans come from - it’s Wigan! See pic of their main factory which was near to the furthest point of my route. Thee pic of the Leeds – Liverpool canal towpath has Wigan Athletic FC stadium in the top r/h corner of the photo. I’ve also included a couple of pics of the cyclepath adjacent to the Leigh Busway and also the track further on through woodland towards Salford.

Darkness descended by the time I was in between Prestwich and Heywood so my lights came into operation.
Heinz Factory Wigan.jpg
Liverpool - Leeds Canal Towpath.jpg
Wigan Pier No 1.jpg
Busway and Cycle Path.jpg
NCN 55 Cyclepath.jpg
Busway Cyclepath.jpg

Arrived home mud splattered and pleasantly tired with 75 miles in the bag. My biggest daily mileage of the year so far and 140 for the week.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Today was my first real ride since getting back into biking!!! It was below freezing for the past few days again but today it was sunny and mild. My brother and I went 15 miles, mostly along a sludgy sloggy towpath (everything is thawing out and turning the dirt road into mud) and some on country roads. I pushed myself, ended up doing the 'walk of shame' up the largest hills coming back, but overall was pleased with my effort and had such a fun time!

I don't often get days to myself, I have a toddler and work full time as well so this was a nice afternoon vacation! We saw squirrels and dogs, chatted with a fellow cyclist on a lovely Domane (a fellow Trekkie ;) ) asking us how bad the trails were and he decided to stick to the roads. On the ride I broke the plastic disc thing that goes behind the chain and had to listen to that rattling half the way, had to stop to adjust the tension screw on a derailleur, hit 32mph coming down a hill, and got completely covered in mud. It was a glorious day!!!

Also I am in desperate need of some fenders...

Attachments

• 20180126_160830.jpg
    20180126_160830.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180126_160803.jpg
    20180126_160803.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Yep, my local Halfords is like that. Right at the back of the shop, up some narrow stairs on a mezzanine level. The one near work also has the cycle dept upstairs, although the steps are right by the entrance there.

They've never once raised an issue though, in fact staff on the main tills will often grab the doors for you if they see you approaching. After all, if you couldn't take the bike in how else would you take the bike in for a service, etc?
Despite all that it is an appalling layout, but we can't have the motorists having to climb stairs to get their Turtlewax, can we?

They do have a couple of unloved and unused Sheffield stands in the car park which are tucked so far out of sight around the corner from the door that I've never seen a bike locked to them and would never consider using them myself.

Not liking the stairs, I rarely go to the cycle dept in my local Halfords.

Top Bottom