Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My ride today, posted today. A novelty for me, I know! ^_^

After a midnight finish from w*rk, and bed by 01:30 ish, I'd set my alarm for 06:30... and 06:45.. with snooze..
Surprisingly, I got up! The Defy2 had been prepped, and all lights and stuff charged and ready to go, so after some porage and tea, I left at 07:30 into the freezing mist.

IMG_4944.JPG

I had a 100 km route planned in my mind, and pretty well stuck to it. Past Salcey Forest, Towcester, thence to Daventry via Newnham Hill, and home via Long Buckby, Ravensthorpe and Brixworth.

IMG_4950.JPG

The mist turned to ice on my leggings.I was pleased that I popped my to cosy's on as it was definitely a bit nippy for the first hour ! :cold:

IMG_4957.JPG

The entrance to Towcester Racecourse is quite impressive. One day I'll have to go there and lose some £££ on the Gee Gee's :laugh:

Northwards on the A5, I crossed the new roundabout complex with the A43. I'd hate to ride it during busy time, but on a Sunday it was OK.
I was now on new roads for me. Greens Norton and Blakesley are lovely old villages, and with a road closure, I 'found' Adstone as well as I looked for the way to Preston Capes.
Needing to recharge my body in readiness for Newnham Hill, having expended some energy on the previous hills, I stopped for a banana and a Mars Bar about 3 miles from the climb. It's only just over a mile, but it steps up on the final bend just before the summit as the thighs are burning. Nice climb, but I was a tad miffed that amongst our bunch, I was 15 seconds behind first place... Grrrr! Still, not bad for an old fart.

Once the decent into Daventry had been done, not mega fast on the damp roads, I rode through the town centre and up the A361 towards Kilsby. Not a nice road to ride to be honest, but it got me to the side road to Ashby St Ledgers.

IMG_4964.JPG

This is where Guy Fawkes hatched the Gunpowder Plot all those years ago. Some say that we need him back for another attempt! :tongue:

From Ashby St Ledgers, the road homewards was a bit of up and down hill. Unfortunately, the best 'down' had temporary traffic lights on it, and they were on red :cry:
Needing 15 miles for my 100km ride, I checked mileages, (mixed thingies, I know) and I was coming up 5 miles, 8 km, short, so I thought a visit to Scotch Farm cafe in Mears Ashby was in order.

IMG_4971.JPG

Nought wrong with a sausage roll and a cuppa, eh?!

Newnham.png

Back home on 64 lumpy miles, chilly, but happy..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1413728386

:smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Yesterday's sunny 14 or so miles here in the flatlands were terrific from start to finish. The first warmth of the year, great light, and dry roads for the first time in weeks made for a great afternoon ride.

IMG_2694.JPG

Reach Lode looking northwest from the bridge.

IMG_2693.JPG

And looking the other way toward Reach village.

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

Barn owl on the way home topped a great ride.

Promise of slightly warmer temperatures tempted me away from the indoor bike
The club ride was supposed to be 10 AM later than usual due to the club dinner the night before (which I did not attend)
In the event, I missed the one who turned up at 10, two of the other lads went at the normal time
So did a 30 miler on my Todd, up Priest Hill, through the Park, around the Drift Road loop and back down the road just outside the park to the west (the up and down one.

All in all 30.58 miles @ 16.2 mph with 1053 feet of climbing

Legs felt reasonably good, so the hard work on the indoor bike seems to be paying off

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
This mornings plan of a quick spin was delayed due to rain, but with sunshine forecast after lunch I spent the morning hanging wheels up and other exciting things.
Sure enough post lunch the sun came out, so the re-geared RT-58 was taken on a 14 mile lumpy route through Wentworth up to WGP and home. Nice, bloomin' windy though.
A quick spin up the high street afterwards to get fancy bread for dinner, and book the van in for it's first MOT...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First ride for more than a couple of weeks for me today. I tinkered with the bike this morning after getting it out for a ride yesterday afternoon and finding a flat tyre and brakes that wouldn't release properly, then once fixed took it out for a bit of a spin after lunch.

It was a local loop into Shrewsbury, through The Quarry and after a slightly convoluted route around Heathgates out through Uffington and onwards to Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover, Lyth Hill and home.

It's quite windy and cold out so I wrapped up in a couple of fleeces and chose this route to take advantage of the wind direction.

As it's half term there were lots of people out perambulating in The Quarry and I saw quite a few cyclists out too (although a couple of groups stopped in random places and blocked my path which was a little irritating).

Once I got the wind behind me from Uffington the bike flew along quite nicely and I had some good stretches of cruising at 20+ mph. I had to turn back into it at Condover though.

22.3 miles at 13.4 mph average. Liked that.:okay:

No photos today due to enjoying the ride. :bicycle:

Yesterday's sunny 14 or so miles here in the flatlands were terrific from start to finish. The first warmth of the year, great light, and dry roads for the first time in weeks made for a great afternoon ride.

View attachment 396541

Reach Lode looking northwest from the bridge.

View attachment 396542

And looking the other way toward Reach village.

View attachment 396543

View attachment 396544

Barn owl on the way home topped a great ride.
One of my favourite birds

Alex H

Legendary Member
My first solo (as opposed to tandem) ride in my new home of Northumberland. Decided to take it easy and see if I could find a route also suitable for the tandem.

Headed north past the Alnwick Garden, stopped on the bridge over the Aln for a castle photo

DSC_0100.JPG

Managed the climb out of the valley without too much difficulty :rolleyes: and found that once over the A1, the terrain was much easier. I had not intended going too far for my first trip, but soon decided to head for Seahouses.

Spring is on it's way.

DSC_0101.JPG

The main East Coast line follows the road to a little village called Christon Bank, where there is an automated crossing. As I was about 300 yards from the village a Virgin train approached southbound sounding the horn. I wondered why it was doing this, when I saw that in the field I was passing was a farm track and an ungated crossing :eek:.

The rest of the trip to Seahouses was almost traffic free and very pleasant, although there were bits of the road that could do with attention.

On arrival I headed for the harbour.

DSC_0102.JPG

This is a view of the 'beach' with Bamburgh castle in the distance. I retraced my route back to the outskirts of Alnwick, where I made a slight diversion to go past the castle. Unfortunately the sun was exactly in the wrong place to take a good photo.

DSC_0108.JPG

The only time I'd been this way was in the car and not going into the town, so the 12% hill up to the castle entrance was a bit of a shock :laugh:.

So, 34 miles in 2hrs 45min, not bad for a first effort ^_^

Screenshot from 2018-02-21 09-09-17.png

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
30km today, on a damp drizzly miserable day ..
Nice cup of tea and some lemon curd on toast now ..

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A little further afield this afternoon, heading over Lyth Hill and out to Westbury and Melverley then returning via Great Ness, Montford Bridge and round the outskirts of Shrewsbury.

There was a lot less wind than yesterday, but unfortunately we also lost the sunshine which was replaced by very gloomy conditions and a much colder feel than the thermometer would suggest.

The ride was mostly without incident, which is always good, exceptions being; getting a smile and a thumbs up from a lorry driver for allowing him past on a narrow bit near Halfway House and a Porsche driver hanging back and letting me across into the right turn lane at Shelton.

32.8 miles at 13.2 mph average. Warming up with a hot chocolate now.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A whopping 3.9 miles today on the Brompton. Dropped the campervan off for it's MOT (it failed), went to pick it up. I shall repeat tomorrow, and cross fingers that new electronic bit being fitted will make the airbag light go off. Shame really as it was a lovely morning for a ride, but instead I found myself defrosting the freezer, still in lycra...

colly

Re member eR
My first solo (as opposed to tandem) ride in my new home of Northumberland. Decided to take it easy and see if I could find a route also suitable for the tandem.

Headed north past the Alnwick Garden, stopped on the bridge over the Aln for a castle photo

View attachment 396771

Managed the climb out of the valley without too much difficulty :rolleyes: and found that once over the A1, the terrain was much easier. I had not intended going too far for my first trip, but soon decided to head for Seahouses.

Spring is on it's way.

View attachment 396773

The main East Coast line follows the road to a little village called Christon Bank, where there is an automated crossing. As I was about 300 yards from the village a Virgin train approached southbound sounding the horn. I wondered why it was doing this, when I saw that in the field I was passing was a farm track and an ungated crossing :eek:.

The rest of the trip to Seahouses was almost traffic free and very pleasant, although there were bits of the road that could do with attention.

On arrival I headed for the harbour.

View attachment 396774
This is a view of the 'beach' with Bamburgh castle in the distance. I retraced my route back to the outskirts of Alnwick, where I made a slight diversion to go past the castle. Unfortunately the sun was exactly in the wrong place to take a good photo.

View attachment 396775

The only time I'd been this way was in the car and not going into the town, so the 12% hill up to the castle entrance was a bit of a shock :laugh:.

So, 34 miles in 2hrs 45min, not bad for a first effort ^_^

View attachment 396777
I'll be up your way in July staying near Alnmouth. Love riding around there.
:okay:

First ride in some three months today - injuries (back & elbow) plus life in general getting in the way of spending time on the bike. But I finally got back out there!!! :wahhey:

Nothing special, just a rather :cold: 8 mile loop to Littleport and back, completed in just under an hour. Slow, I know, but a bit more :bicycle: and I'll get back up to speed. :smile: I did manage more miles than Cav did today though... :whistle:

Saw snowdrops in the verges, a hare, two rabbits and a dumped mattress. And a wonderful sunset.

On the first test of my new cycle clothing: the Decathlon skiing top gets the :thumbsup: (the reversible one with the rollneck, just the ticket for a middle layer under my winter jacket) but the jury's still out on the gloves & liners. They were fine when I set out, but once the sun went down, I could've really done with my Altura ones.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A nice windless day in Gloucestershire for a pootle about on my number 2 bike ... to stop it from seizing up through disuse. Tried to mix it up a little by taking different lanes or doing them in the opposite direction from usual. Ended up being a nice little ride along to Arlingham and Frampton on Severn. I took a few photos today, but deliberately didn't show any interest in a fox hunt going on near Longney that was drawing in ghouls in 4X4s from all over the area to gawp at it. Started out riding to the Pilot Bridge on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal ... the way I tend to go on club ride days when I want to add a couple of miles at the start:
14.JPG

Then I turned tail and took the Longney road, passing a dozen or so cars that were parked up to follow the hunt. Saw a crowd of riders in the distance and heard a hunting horn and the sound of the dogs. Got out of there as fast as I could.
15.JPG

The above is a shot taken from Priding looking upstream along the Severn towards the Anchor Inn at Epney. You can see from the surface of the water that there was very little wind today. From there I took the road to Fretherne and Arlingham.
17.JPG

You can tell from the depth of the drainage ditches around here that the river is tidal and prone to flooding. On the way back through Fretherne towards Frampton, there were a few signs that Spring is on its way:
19.JPG

Lost myself in thought for a while on the way to Frampton, and before I knew it I was at the bottom end of the green, where the road ends. On my way back down the village green, I came across this encounter at one of the ponds:
20.JPG

Wherever the dog ran, the swan followed, hissing. There was only ever going to be one winner, and the dog soon backed down!
That's another 27.4 miles done, bringing me to just under 500 for the year so far. (Thought I'd get a few more miles in before the next cold snap).
Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers. Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Jules H in Upton. Newent was the decision. Bright but chilly weather was OK as we were both well layered up. We looped by Hillend to check out how wet Longdon Marsh was. Wet but not flooded was the observation. Thence we took familiar lanes for Pendock and not long after we turned for Gadfield Elm and Hethelpit Cross. A kingfisher flashed down the lane just ahead whilst Mistle Thrushes cackled a warning. At Upleadon we paused to have a look at the Church. With a history of 1000 years it has been restored. The Norman doorway is wonderful for sure. We took a new jink by Okle Clifford and Cleeve Mill to enter Newent by the back door. The cafe came next as we refueled and continued our chats.

We took the lovely lane through the ford for Gorsley to climb steeply into Dymock Woods. Early signs of the wild daffodils were apparent and as we approached Dymock there was even a little clump in early flower. As we continued to Bromsberrow Green Woodpeckers showed well after a Greater Spotted Woodpecker had hidden behind a tree. Buzzards soared above a wood and throughout the ride had been perched on power poles. We finished off together at Tunnel Hill where Jules headed homeward and I took my standard run back. Lovely easy riding today. Just what the cyclist ordered. 59 smiles

Top Bottom