Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I took my car for its first MOT today so rather than wait for it, I put my Boardman Hybrid in the back and rode home on it. That was my first ride since January 1st, even if only 3.5 miles. Good to start riding again.
( Ashamed to say that my wife took me back to collect the car.) :blush:
And I took my car for its 9th(I think) MoT today, cycled home and back to collect it. Although it was not my first cycle trip this year. The operation will be repeated next week when it goes in for repair and retest, I hope it's not such a cold and windy day:cold:.

A seven mile loop that was harder than it should have been... At least I got out in spite of the cold - and I tackled Mill Hill, though from the longer but less steep side. Rode out via Downham Common, up through Downham (dropped off a magazine through a friend's letterbox), then past Adventurer's Drove and Corker's Crisps (they were frying and the smell was amazing :hungry: ), through Pymoor, past the rec ground, along O Furlong and home.

Saw loads of purple crocuses and snow drops in the verges, plus patches of daffs coming up. Also saw a barn owl have a :boxing: with some large corvid - can't say who won, they went off in opposite directions.

Glad I had my Altura gloves this time and a beanie under my helmet as it was pretty :cold:

Katherine

Guru
28 miles under blue sky! Cold but beautiful ride down the A580 to Haydock, with a few quiet side roads added.
One of the things that I like about Winter is seeing the scenery through the outlines of the bare trees and the way the moss stands out on the stone walls lining the country lanes. I enjoyed seeing the a John Deere in the distance, ploughing I think, with a flock of birds following.

Haydock race course ( phone held through the railings. I couldn't go any further without wadiny through thick sand, where a part of the course crosses the path)
Haydock in Winter.jpg

A busy dual carriageway behind me but I love this route for watching the passing seasons.
Winter field on the A580.jpg

13 rider

Guru
28 miles under blue sky! Cold but beautiful ride down the A580 to Haydock, with a few quiet side roads added.
One of the things that I like about Winter is seeing the scenery through the outlines of the bare trees and the way the moss stands out on the stone walls lining the country lanes. I enjoyed seeing the a John Deere in the distance, ploughing I think, with a flock of birds following.

Haydock race course ( phone held through the railings. I couldn't go any further without wadiny through thick sand, where a part of the course crosses the path)
View attachment 397103

A busy dual carriageway behind me but I love this route for watching the passing seasons.
View attachment 397105
28 miles that's a metric half century gone begging consider yourself told off :okay:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Was working in Fazakerley in Liverpool today, had to be there by 9.00 am and with it being soooooo cold, and no opportunity for a shower on arrival, then working outside, I didn't want to get too sweaty and then get cold when I stopped moving. I could have got the train all the way there, but decided to have a bit of a ride and got off in Bootle, then cycled a slightly less than direct route through Orrell Park and Walton Vale, which was about 3.8 miles. The traffic along Longmoor Lane, especially past the hospital was hellish, and not much opportunity to filter past it, I probably breathed in 6 months worth of carbon monoxide in half a mile.

However, the ride home during the late afternoon, in contrast, was a sheer joy. Being on the hybrid, I could get off the road a bit, so I got on the Leeds-Liverpool canal by Aintree racecourse and headed towards Maghull, I last cycled this part of the towpath about 20 years ago, it takes you through some great rural scenery just outside suburban Liverpool. The low, bright sun bathed the landscape in a bright yellow light, beautiful, but how cold it was, brrrrr!!!

Leaving the canal at Hall Lane in Maghull, I nipped over the A59 and through a nearby housing estate to pick up the Trans-Pennine Trail, or the old Cheshire Lines track as the stretch between Maghull and Southport is often called. Then I headed up the Cheshire Lines, which apart from the smell of the sewage treatment plant in Downholland, was another absolute pleasure - out in the middle of nowhere with no cars, no sounds other than the wind rushing past my face and the odd bird and, again, marvellous rural scenery on a beautiful winter day, and I only saw 6 people in 7 miles.

If only I had taken some photos, but my current phone's camera isn't that good really.

Back onto the road at Ainsdale, then up to the Coast Road which has a cycle track that is actually quite good, and finishing the ride home about 3 miles later. A 17 mile ride, of which only 4.5 were on the road. I have been almost exclusively road cycling for quite some time now, but this reminded me how therapeutic finding an isolated trail can be, so the MTB might be seeing a bit more daylight soon.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Managed a couple of hours bimbling along various tow-paths and river lanes, this morning. Only 27 miles and it was muddy and a bit windier than I'd anticipated. But great fun.

View attachment 397060

View attachment 397061

View attachment 397062

View attachment 397063

Nice pictures again. If I'm not mistaken, those first two look like they were taken near Splatt Bridge at Frampton, and the Gazebo is at Priding near Framilode. The last one has me stumped though.

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
The last one has me stumped though.

It's a lovely little lane that goes left just before Stanley Downton (coming from Frocester). It's marked No Through Road and has a warning sign "Do Not Follow Sat Navs". Runs down past a sewage work (it's still a lovely lane) and alongside the railway. There are some cottages and then you go over the River Frome, under the railway, and end up popping out at the back of Stonehouse Court Hotel by St Cyr's Church on the Stroudwater Canal. You'd be okay on your tourer - but it's not a ride for narrow road tyres,

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
17 or so miles out in the sun and cold to round off the week on the rejuvenated Pasty #2 The CX. Had a hare bound across the lane only feet from me, only to followed by a pheasant launching itself past my face and taking five years off my life. Great hour and a bit out and about.

This at Bealings.

1.JPG

This near Walderingfield, overlooking The Deben. Civil engineering works are going on and they're currently installing a massive cable around the outskirts of Ipswich for the off-shore wind-farms. Hope the land will will soon recover.

2.JPG

gavgav

Guru
Glorious Winter Sunshine :sun:for a ride out on the bike. Cold Easterly Wind blowing, but not too bad with layers on, especially with the wind behind me in the sun at times.

Started out into the wind, to Betton Abbots and Atcham, where I took the road through the National Trust property of Attingham Park, which was heaving with people out enjoying the sunshine.

Out onto the road to Berwick Wharf and Upton Magna, then the muddy wet lanes to Rodington Heath. I turned out of the wind here and it helped me along to Somerwood and then up the long hill to Haughmond, before the lovely descent back to Upton Magna.

Had the wind behind me to Uffington, cruising nicely at 20 to 25mph. I then took the old canal path, all the way to the Telford Way junction, for the first time in ages, as it had dried out mostly and wasn’t the usual sticky mess!

Followed the cycle paths to Reabrook, through the estate, along the old railway path and home.

21.9 miles and passed the 7000 mile mark since i began using Strava in August 2013.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
No rush to get out the door today, but eventually we cocked our legs over the tandem and set off.

An unusual wind direction meant we were kind of heading toward Fulbourn, but I couldn't work out a tea stop.....
Down to Toft, then a turn for Kingston and the Eversdens. 3 buzzards wheeling in the sky. Over the A603 and through Harlton before coming into Haslingfield. Ah, the new Moringa Tree cafe.... but we'd only done 8 miles.

Up Chapel Hill and down the other side. With no headwind Jo's Garmin read 40mph, but the hill was over all too soon. We stopped in Barrington for Jo to rearrange clothing
IMG_0521.JPG

I got a bit chilly waiting, but we soon set off for Shepreth. There were gazillions of snowdrops and aconites flowering. Over the A10 and on to Fowlmere and Thriplow before heading back to Newton where we gained a tail wind again. Down into Harston and over the A10 again. After a mile or so we were back at the foot of Chapel Hill, right at the Moringa Tree cafe. I had a raspberry brownie, Jo had sourdough toast, both really tasty.

IMG_0523.JPG

Haslingfield church, the view from the cafe.

IMG_0525.JPG

^that jersey is a birthday present from her sister

Home via Barton, Comberton and the hills of Long Road for a cold, sunny 27 mile ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1423433989

Last edited:
Top Bottom