Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
B369C247-8E13-4053-BEFF-2AF1E952E490.jpeg
56672211-F0FB-41C5-B579-3EAEEE1846B9.jpeg

Well a longer ride was planned today but due to that cold headwind I’m sorry to say I wussed out. 18.5 miles done and I’ll remember to put on an extra layer next time.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My son and I had another bimble around Clumber Park this morning, and my 6-year-old daughter came too. We did a happy 12 km so 2 km further than yesterday. ^_^

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Mrs Dave was going into town to get her hair done, she wasn't going to have my company! I went out on my mountain bike. The ruts were frozen, but it wasn't quite frozen enough to harden up all the clag. Across the fields to Caldecote and down the hill. I tempered the speed as there were a few icy patches. Up to Kingston and along the Wimpole Way. The dog walkers in front heard me crunching from miles away! Then came the bit through the thicket. In the swampy bit I had to walk 10 yards as it was just so ploughed up.
A short stretch along the road at the top of Old Wimpole Hill before heading through the woods.
At the water tank I headed down the track to Great Eversden. On to Little Eversden and up the Mares Way. There are huge tractor ruts along here, I had to skirt them on a 4" wide bit of ground.... I made the mistake of looking at the puddle, and as sure as eggs is eggs.... I had to pedal like f**k to not fall into the bottom of the puddle 2' below!!!

On to the top of the ridge and then shooting down th the farm. Along the main drive to Wimpole the horses were out
IMG_0532.JPG

Through the park, avoiding the kids at the Parkrun.

Over the A1198 and up the hill through Arrington before going through some sort of wormhole and landing in Surrey
IMG_0534.JPG

I'm sure the Cambridgeshire one is more pleasant.

Up the steep hill to Hatley before stopping for a tangerine and a cereal bar at the entrance to the bridleway
IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

Snowdrops to the right, rolling farmland to the left.

Uneventful along this stretch, then I took a new bridleway to me that would bring me to Little Gransden. Along here there were huge animal holes in the middle of the tracks. Also today the bridleway were ripped up with hoof holes. Horses shouldn't use bridleways, they should be for bikes only!

Then the back end of my bike felt squidgy. Consecutive weekend rear punctures!
IMG_0539.JPG

Luckily I had another coat with me as it was chilly! All fixed I ended up in Little Gransden. Off road behind the maggot farm, round the back of Hayley Wood and then over the A1198.

Then I had to stop for a rest, I was cream crackered! I think the cold had got to me. A bit of food and I was good to go! The track from the Red House was as slippy as slippy toward the end, I was in the hedge twice, laughing my head off!

The last 3-4 miles on road and home

https://www.strava.com/activities/1425315500

Once home I washed my bike and set to changing my tyres. I put the new front one on and pumped it up and put the wheel back on. As I undone the rear wheel I could hear hissing from the front.....! I checked the old front tyre, and there was a massive Thorn in it! So I'd put a tube with a hole in into my new tyre! So I'd been done front and back. Bloody thorns!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With just an hour or so this morning, I sort of decided on taking the Giant for a quickish run to Aberford and back - 10 miles or thereabout depending on the route back. With the wind from the east it would be in my face on the way out, but behind me coming home. In theory.

Layered up well again, including a windproof jacket over the top and got it about right. Local roads down to Barwick Road and up the hill to Scholes, passing a group of riders waiting by the Coronation Tree - a popular meeting point - and then up the hill before the long steady descent down into Barwick, through the village and all the way down to the bridge over Cock Beck, where the climb up Cattle Lane starts.
Along the lumps and bumps and twists and turns into Aberford, where another group ride was forming up on the junction with the old Great North Road.
Having reached Aberford in fairly quick time, I decided to add a loop up to Lotherton Gates on for an extra mile or two, so turned under the A1(M) bridge and up the hill.
Then instead of turning right at the Gates to do the planned loop, I turned left on the B1217 past the farm and started the descent to the Crooked Billet still slightly checked by the wind, but soon passed the pub and took the right up that sharp hill to Saxton, dropping down into the village on Dam Lane and stopping by the church for a photo:
IMG_20180225_095226337_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back in the saddle and along Main Street to Coldhill Lane and the familiar wend to Copley Lane and the run up to Lotherton Gates.
Part way along a sizeable peloton of probably a couple of dozen very serious looking riders passed at speed heading the other way. Back to the Gates it was left and along back under the A1(M) passing yet more riders, before turning right towards Aberford for the very slightly downhill run back into the village on Bunkers Hill.
From there it was onto Cattle Lane, passing yet another decent sized group ride, then as I descended to Cock Beck yet another peloton was heading out into the countryside.
Up the hill into Barwick, through the village and more up towards Scholes before dropping down to the Coronation Tree and getting a rare wind assisted shove along Leeds Road before dropping down to Cock Beck for the last time and up the other side, before hitting the local roads to home.

19.26 miles (30.99km :rolleyes:) in 1h 24m at an average of 13.7mph with 1,174ft climbed and an average temperature of just 1.4°C

Should I have looped around the block to get 20 miles in? Probably! :laugh:
But all in a good ride in glorious sunshine and on dry roads, if only it wasn't so blinking cold. I'm happy enough with that anyway as it's nearly twice as far as I'd planned. Sometimes you just need to ride don't you?
I couldn't believe the number of cyclists out today though - I must have seen around 60 or 70 riders in total which is more than I'd normally see in the middle of summer. Presumably all making the most of the weather before the 'beast from the east' arrives, unless there was some event on I don't know about.

And to end, a map:
25022018.JPG

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
I’d promised myself a ride out this weekend and this after I’d got all my chores completed this morning I decided on a short post lunch ride.

I knew from being outside this morn8ng that it was cold, very cold so I layered up and set off.

The cold air on my throat and lungs always makes me raspy and more prone to coughing so I’d got a snood aas a face mask to help. It did a little.

Nothing too exciting in terms of the ride. Out of the village and once past the temporary traffic lights up Piper Wells and onto Haddingley Drag. A rider joined just ahead of me and I was quite happy to sit a length or two behind him as I was still recovering from the climb. He clearly didn’t want that so he was out of the saddle and putting a short distance between us. No problem to me and I just carried on at my pace. When I got level I said “hi” but just got a grunt back so didn’t engage in any more chat and headed on.

The head wind and wind chill were bitter and the turbines were going at a fair old pace in the lovely winter sun. A brief climb up to Royds Moor then back towards home.

I thought I’d push down the main road for a change to avoid the temporary lights from earlier and also see what time I could get on this stretch as I have my legs one last push. All went well until I remembered the temporary lights down here as well and yes, they were at red!

Never mind. Left into the village and home. Cold but nice to be outside on the bike.

11.4 miles and 922 ft of climbing

380D5716-5E77-4218-9778-EB2336D82429.jpeg

delb0y

Legendary Member
A tale of two rides today, but actually hardly a break between them.

This morning I took the Tricross through the lanes to visit my folks at Churchdown. Hadn't ridden this bike since before Christmas and was feeling guilty. Getting back on it after a few months the Tricross felt very high and very narrow. Not sure why it should feel high, but it did. Took a mile or so to get back into the swing of a drop-bar bike. Then the brakes... my goodness! There aren't any! Lord knows how I managed last year's rides down some very steep and often wet hills. Having got used to the discs on the Toughroad this felt so scary. I have 28 mm tyres on the Tricross and when the surface is good they definitely zip along faster than the 50mm tyres on the Giant. The Tricross did feel faster and easier, although the insides of my hands were aching when on the hoods. On the rougher road surfaces it's nowhere near so comfortable.

Got home and SWMBO mentioned she had a couple of things needed delivering for work... so I volunteered. I swapped to the Toughroad and headed out again, enjoying the more luxurious body positioning and bars - although did notice that the saddle wasn't as comfy as the Brooks I have on the Tricross. Cycled up to Coney Hill for delivery #1, then out to Brockworth for #2. At Brockworth, having made the delivery, I noticed a bit of a track heading up into the woods. Yay! Off I went and then the track became a lane and a very steep one at that. Turns out to be 20% at one point (although luckily not for long) but I just dropped the Toughroad into bottom gear and spun up. Nice. Turns out I was on the Painswick Road, half way up. Now, thinks I, if I cycle all the way up I can then come down Portway. I've been up the devil a few times recently, about time I enjoyed the hill by coming down it. Wow! Must confess I ran out of courage at 42mph and started feathering the brakes - still took a while to slow. Glad I wasn't on the Tricross without any brakes.... I reckon there's a 50 mph to be had on this hill, but I couldn't remember what the run-off was like, whether there were any side roads, farms etc, so today I was sensible. To be honest, I probably always will be. 42 mph is plenty fast enough. The bike definitely felt slower and harder work than the Tricross, but is more comfortable (at least at these short distances) and is much better on hills and rough road surfaces... and braking.

Still a long way to go on the flat-bar v drops experiment. I think once I get up to 50+ miles the truth will out.

What was most interesting though was how similar the two rides turned out to be and how the percieved difference in speed was actually, almost, not there:

Tricross 19.5 miles 01:38 hours 11.9 average climbing: 1160 feet
Toughroad 19.3 miles 01:41 hours 11.4 average climbing: 1200 feet

Cheers
Derek

colly

Re member eR
Planned an early start today. Lights charged, stuff laid out, bike prepped. Looking for a 6am maybe 6.30am off.

So when I was woken with a cup of tea at around 9am.....................................

Anyway I was out for about 10 to 10 and while it was cold in the sunshine it was nowhere near freezing and was a lovely morning.
I went via Moortown and out to Shadwell and from there along Wike Ridge Lane to East Keswick. Drop down to Collingham and across the bridge though Linton.
Instead of going out via Sicklinghall which is what I would usually do I turned right and made for Wetherby and cut off to where Wetherby Station used to be.
Now it's a sheltered car park and access to the cycle tracks that were once railway lines.

20180225_104134.jpg

I took the left route which took me up to where the lines used to converge.

20180225_104457.jpg

I took the route to Spofforth which runs pretty much due north. It's a nice 3 or 4 miles of track that's in good condition. On a sunny day it's a quiet and plesant ride.

20180225_105157.jpg

Sundays though can be busy with walkers, dog walkers and other cyclists. Even so there's no rush so stopping or slowing a few times in no big deal.

So Spofforth arrived and I rode into the town ( well hardly that) and took the road towards Follifoot and Harrogate, which took me past:

SPM_A0331.jpg

SPM_A0303.jpg
SPM_A0326.jpg

SPM_A0300.jpg

You get the idea. It's old and crumbly. Bit like me I guess.

The photos were taken on a previous ride, hence the leaves on the trees. So back on the bike and I headed for Pannal and unfortunately had to endure a mile or so of the Harrogate by-pass before I swung a left and headed down into Kirby Overblow.
From there it was down to Harewood Bridge and west towards Arthington and then up through Weardley. I stopped just beyond because there were a 'kettle' of kites circling overhead.
Could be 'kettle', could be a 'soar' or even a 'husk'. It seems there is no official collective noun for Red Kites. I like kettle.
Of the eight or so circling I managed to get just one photo. Even that is poor:

20180225_114354.jpg

Even so it's a nice spot so a couple of views:
20180225_114239.jpg

20180225_114255.jpg

The climb up to Eccup Lane catches you out fast if you have been off the bike for a while. Past The New Inn and around the back of Eccup Reservoir and back through Moortown to Oakwood and a local loop to finish off.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/20949894

Just under 34 miles and just under 2300 feet of up.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Blue skies, sunshine, only 3C when I set out at 1:30 but I soon warmed up and stopped here to strip off a layer.

IMG_20180225_140351.jpg

Thomas the Rhymer was a 13th century psychotic / seer. No one has seen the queen of the fairies round here since then, but it would appear that she has multiplied and moved south judging by some of the posts on the beast from the east thread. As @User9609 pointed out 3C is what we're used to.
We also have to put up with other hazards southern softies aren't used to like coos on the road.
IMG_20180225_152012.jpg

And I even managed to find some snow for the impromptu bike stand photo.

IMG_20180225_152638.jpg

I get the impression there might be some more of this coming.
Glorious day to be out on a bike. 34 miles at 13 mph.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Similar to @colly , I was due to be up with the lark... 05:15.. all prepped & fettled for an early start, but after a midnight finish from w*rk, it didn't happen this time.
Still, by 07:45, I'd dragged my carcass downstairs for tea and porage and was out just before 09:00.

The plan was to ride into the easterly winds for the first bit, before it got stronger, in the hope for an easier ride back.

The idea kinda worked :whistle:

As it was still -2, I stayed on the old main road for the first 5 miles, but was then on minor, un-gritted tarmac, so I eased back a bit as I could see the ice crystals on the road glittering in the sunlight.

IMG_4989.JPG

Up the hill in Wollaston, I stopped for the obligatory pic at Bell End.

IMG_4993.jpg

Seems rude to not take a pic hereabouts :laugh:
Until now, I seemed to be the only person riding, but within half an hour, there were quite a few around. Maybe, as the sun rose higher, they were coaxed out of hiding? I even saw two brave and hardy souls wearing shorts! One roady & on chap on an MTB. Good luck & chapeau, chaps :laugh:

Untitled.png

Back home, after a bloomin' nippy ride, in time for a shower and a visit to No.1 daughters to wish her Happy Birthday.

Average temp was -1.5, wind chill added to the fun. Still, quite comfortable in my winter gear, apart from my right big toe. I might have to have it amputated to make life warmer... ^_^

But it was sunny!! :sun:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1425050985

:smile:

iandg

Legendary Member
Hi all, been doing alot of riding but not much posting due to the current stress I'm going through.

I also came off and bruised my ribs at the end of January and it slowed me down somewhat this month. Managed my 50km challenge ride today. -5C overnight and I was worried about ice so rode the Cross-Check with the studded tyres and kept to main roads - but no ice and a wonderful sunny day

Headed out across the moor to Barvas then continued north reaching Lower Shader at 25km then turned and headed home. Those who've ridden my 300km audax will know Barvas Moor and the last 11 mile back to Stornoway, A long road over barren moorland that gradually climbs (and descends) for about 7 miles.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1424954943/embed/4c223b7a41ee6b22bafff16060eed9a6fb89e0b0

26607291588_4050999132.jpg

39582336615_a9778e5367.jpg

26607288528_eaf04a8187.jpg

39582335795_51129496c7.jpg

40478188931_ba22162b17.jpg

39582335265_e63e8f708a.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I went out for a 10 mile loop to Levington Marina (just to say I'd been out for a ride. :whistle:) As you'd expect, it was a bit cold. I was wearing all the layers (six) that I have for cycling, with three pairs of gloves (silk, lightweight, and full-winter) and I have to say, I have trouble remembering how ago it was that I got togged up to that degree.

Still, the fresh air did me good.

This at Nacton.

photo 1.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Bitterly cold out with snowflakes occasionally blowing round in the wind, but I got layered up and went out for a ride anyway.

I started off with a plan to do a loop via Cressage but ended up changing it to go: Lyth Hill, Condover, Ryton, Longnor, Folly Bank, Cardington, Church Preen crossroads, Kenley, Acton Burnell, Cantlop, Condover Lyth Hil and home.

The layers worked quite well this time and my full winter gloves (an old tatty pair of thinsulate lined gloves inside a pair of long-finger cycling gloves) have had their first outing of the season and possibly not their last as it's supposed to get colder yet.

Little to report really on this ride. The roads were mostly quiet and are dry and dusty at the moment so little to worry about in terms of ice.

30.12 miles at 12.4 mph average.

Not brilliant photos today as it was hard using the phone with my gloves on (and I really didn't want to take them off).

DSC0005907.jpg

Stopping near Longnor to change my mind about todays route. If you look closely you can just see it is snowing.

DSC0005908.jpg

Pub stop seems quite tempting.:whistle: Most rural pubs round here close on a Monday though, which is probably just as well.

DSC0005909.jpg

By Concord College. I really had trouble getting this pic at all - padded fingers on little buttons doesn't really work.

Top Bottom