Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
6CBEAD32-985D-4FDA-967E-703789B0D015.jpeg
29520B65-C0BB-4C67-ADD5-A5975DE9AF77.jpeg
0BFE1E87-4A15-4E8D-B330-345D3704945A.jpeg

A cold and windy day in North Yorkshire but a lovely 20 mile spin out around my usual loop. Bumped in to my old friend Dave riding his steel framed Ritchie, I’ve always loved that rare machine.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ignoring the weather forecasters promises of the coming of the apocalypse this morning, suitably layered up and out on the Giant just before 9am.
Yes, it was a bit brisk, but I reckon I'd got the clothing just about right today as by the time I turned off Coal Road onto Skeltons Lane I was warming up.
Down Sandhills into Thorner, through the village and up onto Milner Lane along the ridge to East Rigton then onto Compton Lane. Despite the recent rains, the roads were nice and dry, which was a big improvement given the usual mudfest along here.

At the end of Compton Lane it was down Jewitt Lane into Collingham, across the A58 onto the A659 and right towards Linton over the bridge and then the ups and downs of the village, before heading to Wetherby.
Through there and out over the A1(M) bridge, past the racecourse. I was cycling into the breeze here and it felt harder work than it should have done, but it was soon time to turn towards Thorp Arch, where a loop up Long Causeway brought me to All Saints Church where I stopped for a stretch and a couple of pics:

IMG_20180224_100552144.jpg
IMG_20180224_100644046.jpg

Back on the bike and down to the bridge over the Wharfe, where despite me being clearly established on the bridge (well over half way across), someone in a Fiesta drove over the give way and right to the very start of the single track section forcing me to slow to manoeuvre round them...:dry:
Up the hill and left then right to Clifford, dodging a suicidal launch from a side street by a Peugeot driver, up Main Street and down the hill to Collingham, where I tackled Cote de Town Hill and headed back out into the countryside on Toulston Lane, back into the 'breeze'.
Right again, over the A659 and then across the bridge over the A64 before plunging down into Stutton, across Cock Beck and up the A162 London Road towards Towton, getting the closest pass of the day by a numpty in a Honda Jazz :dry: before sprinting through the village and briefly crossing routes with @Spiderweb (above) before turning up past the battlefield site then dropping down into Saxton. I had intended to stop in the village for another photo but it was a bit busy, so I headed out on Coldhill Lane and stopped where Linda's Bench used to be instead:
IMG_20180224_110051910_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180224_110102936_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike and a little bit of up before dropping down onto Copley Lane for a slightly wind assisted scoot to Lotherton Gates and then the lumpiness that shortly drops down under the A1(M) and into Aberford.
Through there and onto Cattle Lane for more wind assisted ups and downs (I know it was wind assisted as I discovered I'd set a PB on there when I got home ^_^ ), before dropping down to the bridge and the inevitable grind up into Barwick.
Through there and more up nearly to Scholes, before dropping down to the Coronation Tree and more down on Leeds Road, crossing Cock Beck for a final time and local roads up to home.

34.24 miles (55.10km) in 2h 32m at an average of 13.5mph with 1,768ft climbed and an average temperature of just 2.5 degrees C :cold:

So, all good. A great day for a ride in the right attire and in the sheltered spots (not that there were many) it even felt almost warm ^_^
Lots and lots of cyclists about and I'm not letting a few numpty car drivers take the gloss off that. Plus it was nice not to have to start cleaning the bike as soon as I got home.
And another ride in the bag for the Half Century Challenge, which is never a bad thing.:okay:

And to end, the map:
24022018.JPG

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The forecast was cold cold cold but sunny. Pete M, Sara P and I rode over to Upton to meet Margaret PR. Fladbury seemed to be the consensus. Meanwhile riders on the Sunrise Express Audax were rolling up to the nearby control. We joined a peloton of Stourbridge club riders heading for the next control in Evesham. They gave us a good wheel into a brisk easterly wind. We parted at Defford and not long after we diverted to Birlingham to see the snowdrops and crocus in the churchyard.

P2243285.JPG

There were no female takers for the off road route via Nafford locks so we looped by Eckington for the Combertons and on for Cropthorne and the cafe at Fladbury.

Refreshed the ladies departed early as both had to get back. Pete and I took the fairly standard run to Bishampton although cafe legs were a problem on the up of Hill Furze. We were enjoying a nice tail wind now and as we paused at the ford in Walcot Lane the warmth of the sun was apparent. Pete called the loop around Abbotswood but that didn't prevent our need to climb Kinnersley bank. We took our usual run back from Upton getting back in time for Pete to catch his train through the tunnel. Despite the cold forecast it was actually a very pleasant outing indeed. 56 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got out to enjoy the sunshine and what is likely to be the least cold day of the next week or so.

Having ridden my usual routes a lot lately I went for a variation this time and linked together two different routes. I headed over Lyth Hill to start and out to Pontesbury and Minsterley where I took a left and headed over the hill to Habberley then to Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Smethcott, Leebotwood, Acton Burnell, Condover and home via Lyth Hill again.

I startled a walker while crossing Lyth Hill :blush: then I had that easterly wind behind me all the way to Minsterley which made for some nice easy riding. Shame about the cycle path between Pontesbury and Minsterley still being strewn with thorns - I think the Marathons have shrugged them all off this time though.

I'd forgotten quite how deceptively steep the climb out of Minsterley to Habberley is and it wasn't helped by pushing to try and catch up with another rider on the climb (not a chance).

The short sharp climbs continue on the way to Pulverbatch, then again to Wilderley (good views from here if it's clear). I finally started to descend again from Smethcott down to Leebotwood, having a little moment on the way when I found a van coming the other way cutting a corner which caused some sudden braking for both of us.

I was against the wind again after Leebotwood so was slower than usual to Acton Burnell and Pitchford but the descent from Cantlop to Condover was great and I got up to nearly 30 here.

31.8 miles this trip at 12.8 mph average. Happy with that.

I wasn't really thinking about photos today so didn't grab many:

DSC0005901.jpg
At the top of Lyth Hill. Lovely sunshine but quite hazy as you can see.

DSC0005902.jpg
Same spot but the view in the other direction.

DSC0005903.jpg
At Pulverbatch

DSC0005905.jpg

View from just after Pulverbatch. Lyth Hill can just be made out (the hump just left of centre in the distance) but bit too misty really.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Spent most of the day decorating, including more cold tank valve replacement and ripping a bathroom out. A spare hour before cooking dinner was spent fettling the recumbent trike which then needed a quick test ride, so just over 2 miles, the first ride out on the trike since late Summer 2017. Had my lad for company, who opted to come along on my Brompton, must have looked quite the odd couple....

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Two rides today. The first, 9 miles home from an LBS in Cambridge where I'd picked up my new bike!

I got the bus there, and blimey, buses really are crap aren't they. I'd forgotten as it's years since I last got one. I pressed the bell as it approached the nearest stop to the LBS but it just carried on. And on - past 3 more stops, eventually stopping about a mile away! Thank god for bikes.

IMG_2695.JPG

And here she is, a Kross Alp hybrid. It's been a couple of years since I started looking for a new bike, and this most closely matched what I'm after. Kross are a Polish make apparently.

A few niggles on the way home were soon ironed out with a bit of fettling, and this afternoon I went on a 12 miler out on the fen.

IMG_2709.JPG

It's lighter than my old bike, not that that means anything to me given the amount of stuff I carry about. It handles beautifully too.

IMG_2711.JPG

A barn owl flew past me near Swaffham Prior (it's there if you squint - to the right of the tree!)

IMG_2713.JPG

Got home to watch the sun set as the temperature really dipped. 5-25pm sunset though - feels great after what seems like months of 4pm darkness.

Very happy with the new steed. The dynamo lights are great. I think a few minor adjustments still needed such as handlebar height but nothing major. Hopefully this one will last me a good few years.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
So what did you think of @Drago 's jasmine rice then?

:laugh:.

pjd57

Veteran
Hadn't planned an outing , but had a to do list to get through.

Along the canal from Lambhill to Bishopbriggs. £25 refund from Halfords for a seized lock. Amazed when the assistant just shrugged and said " they do that all the time "
Still for sale though.

Back home , 10 miles done. Cold but sunny.
Back out to arrange a new tattoo ( birthday present from Mrs )then on to Partick . I was supposed to be going to Clydebank for a family visit but carried on to Bowling since it was a beautiful day.
Photo and coffee stop then back home via the canal through Clydebank and the visit I had to make .
40 enjoyable miles.
IMG_20180224_144445115.jpg

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Did a 30k ride yesterday, my word it was cold and windy ..
With the sun out it does seem to make it better though ..
Forgot my change so couldn't stop for a coffee and slice of lemon cake so I sulked a bit ..
Home to some homemade fruit crumble and custard made by my good lady, didn't take long to wolf that down ..
:bicycle:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just over 30 miles with just under 3,000 feet of climbing today. Man, am I going to ache tomorrow.

A very chilly morning put off most of my clubmates today, so although a few fast guys and intermediates showed up, I was the only one from the Chilled Group. I decided to stick with the inters until our routes diverged, then meet up for a coffee at the Malthouse at Salmon Springs near Stroud at 11.00. My route was to have included a bit of an urban hike over to Brockworth followed by a long but easy climb up the edge of Coopers Hill on the Painswick Road. When we got to Abbeydale, I decided to improvise a "short cut" to make sure I made it to the rendez-vous on time. "Short cut" is a bit of a misnoma in this case, as it meant taking on the beast that is Upton Hill, then as soon as I had recovered from that, following a nice descent into Painswick, cutting acorss country via Sheepscombe. For anyone who does not know Sheepscombe, I should point out that it is a beautiful little village, but tucked away deep down in the bottom of a steep little dell. Getting back out again required another monster climb before another great descent into Stroud via the spectacular Slad Valley.

Nice to meet up with @Dark46 at the coffee stop. (Thanks for the drink, buddy). Also nice to rest up for a while before heading home via my third big hill of the day up through Ruscombe and Whiteshill. Pleased to be able to report that I managed all three hills without stopping ... although on the Sheepscombe climb, every time I glanced down at my speedo I was doing under 3mph!!! What a grind. Feeling good ahead of my upcoming trip (in a couple on months) to Snowdonia. Bring on those hills.

Check this out for a profile! (about the toughest I could have done round here on a 30 miler from home): ..... https://www.strava.com/routes/12085274

Enjoy your rides before the next big freeze kicks in.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Todays plan was a 20 mile or so trike ride on the ICE to get the trike legs working again, but the plan was thwarted by my Daughter asking where I was going and perhaps could she come along? Not one to turn down my 11 year old asking for a bike ride (especially at this time of year), we got suitably layered up and did 3 miles to Dad's (by now with Son in tow also), where mugs of hot chocolate were drunk, 2 hours chewing the fat and 3 miles home. All very nice, and not too cold in the sunshine.
Daughter needs a new bike as her 24" Specialized is starting to look small on her, and I need to extend the boom on the Trice a bit.

Top Bottom